Steam Train Tour

CantWaitToGo2007

Mouseketeer
Has anybody been on the steam train tour? What did you think about it? DS (11) has been a train buff since he was about 2. I'll think he'll like the tour, but I wanted to hear what other people thought about it first.

TIA
Nanette

To clarify, we've been to WDW over 38 times and last visit did our first tour, Steam Train. This was the best I've ever seem or been to. Problem is its real early to be on vacation, but we were there, MK at 6:30 am. Conductor came and met us, gave us each a personal hearing device so we could hear him plainly wherever he was. Took us on the train, went behind the scenes where they service all the trains and monorails and explained all the workings, signals,, allowed pictures in certain area and gave us each an exclusive steam train pin. Last quite a few hours but very knowledgeable and informative. Also seeing Main Street completely void of people while we were standing atop the station at 7 am, is really cool, no body all the way to the castle.

This is a must do tour, alittle tip, when coming out of your resor, your camera is cold from the nights AC and the lens fogs up bad for quite awhile until it warms to outside temps. first few pics we took at the entrance to the MK, were foggy and we bused from the WL to CR and walked to MK. Wiping the lens does not clear it, its when the camera reaches outside temp that the foggyness is gone.

I have taken quite a few tours at WDW, the train tour among them. It, like all the others, is great. And a good one for your son as the minimum age is 10 for that one. He'll love it. It is very interesting, very neat being in the park and backstage before opening. The history of Disney trains is captivating.:thumbsup2

This tour is a bit different than the others in that you are allowed to take pictures backstage, so make sure to bring your camera/s. Also make sure to get an appropriate, AAA, AP, DVC, Disney Visa, etc discounts that you are eligible for. Here are some additional reviews.....

http://allearsnet.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=242&cat=66

Enjoy.

You may want to check on the minimum age for the tour. I think it was older than 11.

If your DS can go, I would really recommend it. I booked tickets for me, plus two huge adult rail fans (and their family) a couple of years ago. My DH skipped it to "sit" with my DD and my friend's younger DD. I pulled up to the Contemporary resort to park and I said to the guard "I'm here for this tour and it's a surprise!" as I handed the confirmation over to her. She said, "Oh! You're here for the T-R-A-I-N tour." I said, "Yes. They are grown-ups and they can spell!" Not much of a surprise after that, but we all had a great time!

Thanks for the replies:goodvibes
To clarify, we've been to WDW over 38 times and last visit did our first tour, Steam Train. This was the best I've ever seem or been to. Problem is its real early to be on vacation, but we were there, MK at 6:30 am. Conductor came and met us, gave us each a personal hearing device so we could hear him plainly wherever he was. Took us on the train, went behind the scenes where they service all the trains and monorails and explained all the workings, signals,, allowed pictures in certain area and gave us each an exclusive steam train pin. Last quite a few hours but very knowledgeable and informative. Also seeing Main Street completely void of people while we were standing atop the station at 7 am, is really cool, no body all the way to the castle.

This is a must do tour, alittle tip, when coming out of your resor, your camera is cold from the nights AC and the lens fogs up bad for quite awhile until it warms to outside temps. first few pics we took at the entrance to the MK, were foggy and we bused from the WL to CR and walked to MK. Wiping the lens does not clear it, its when the camera reaches outside temp that the foggyness is gone.

Thank you for the tip about the camera :)

I have taken quite a few tours at WDW, the train tour among them. It, like all the others, is great. And a good one for your son as the minimum age is 10 for that one. He'll love it. It is very interesting, very neat being in the park and backstage before opening. The history of Disney trains is captivating.:thumbsup2

This tour is a bit different than the others in that you are allowed to take pictures backstage, so make sure to bring your camera/s. Also make sure to get an appropriate, AAA, AP, DVC, Disney Visa, etc discounts that you are eligible for. Here are some additional reviews.....

http://allearsnet.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=242&cat=66

Enjoy.

DS loves history:teacher: . Now I just have to figure out how to fit the tour into our schedule

Has anybody been on the steam train tour? What did you think about it? DS (11) has been a train buff since he was about 2. I'll think he'll like the tour, but I wanted to hear what other people thought about it first.

TIA
Nanette

We just got back from the World and I got a nice surprise from my wife by getting on the Train Tour. It is much more than just a train tour.

She did her best to keep it a secret, but, she doesn't quite know how to do it, so, I kinda guessed what was up, but, managed to be surprised anyway, at least up to the point when the security person at the gate asked "Are you here for the Train Tour?" There were four of us on the tour, my wife and me, and another couple from Texas.

George was our conductor for the tour and did a great job.

The tour started at Main Street Station, with an orintation and history of the building and the story of the chief engineer/imangineer Roger Broggie. He then took us up to the platform and seated us in the back of the train where he showed us how they communicate with the engin by a little switch and some hand signals. I got to be the conductor and yell out "All Aboard!" then flip the toggle a couple of times to get the engineer to blow the whistle a couple of times...then we were off!

George told us more of the history of the railroad as we went around the MK. When we got to Toon Town, George got out and moved the switch so we could back into the stockyard.

At this point I had to turn the camera off and put it away, because the Disney Security people wouldn't be happy, but, I did get to take pictures once in the yard.

All the trains were in the yard except the one that they use for the opening ceremonies. It is an impressive display of rolling iron.
George gave us more information around the yard and then let us climb into the engine of one of the trains that wasn't powered up.

These are real Steam trains, with boilers and fire, so they were very careful. They did fire up a train for us, showing how they light the fires and how long it takes to get the pressure up, they then did a overpressure safety check and we were back on the rails again. They did a brake check and a test of the auto brake and we were back at Main Street shortly after that.

George gave us a coffee break and then we had a talk about the rest of the history of Walt and trains. We also got the Train Pin.

Would an 11 year old like the tour? If he likes trains and Disney he would! We had a grand time. The non-mechanical folk might not care for the train parts, but, the history of Walt and MK should intrest any fan.

I'll try to post some photos as soon as I can.

This is an example of this problem:

DSCN00640001.jpg

And a few pics from the tour:

DSCN00670001.jpg

DSCN00690001.jpg

DSCN00710001.jpg

DSCN00740001.jpg

DSCN00750001.jpg

DSCN00760001.jpg

We just got back from the World and I got a nice surprise from my wife by getting on the Train Tour. It is much more than just a train tour.

She did her best to keep it a secret, but, she doesn't quite know how to do it, so, I kinda guessed what was up, but, managed to be surprised anyway, at least up to the point when the security person at the gate asked "Are you here for the Train Tour?" There were four of us on the tour, my wife and me, and another couple from Texas.

George was our conductor for the tour and did a great job.

The tour started at Main Street Station, with an orintation and history of the building and the story of the chief engineer/imangineer Roger Broggie. He then took us up to the platform and seated us in the back of the train where he showed us how they communicate with the engin by a little switch and some hand signals. I got to be the conductor and yell out "All Aboard!" then flip the toggle a couple of times to get the engineer to blow the whistle a couple of times...then we were off!

George told us more of the history of the railroad as we went around the MK. When we got to Toon Town, George got out and moved the switch so we could back into the stockyard.

At this point I had to turn the camera off and put it away, because the Disney Security people wouldn't be happy, but, I did get to take pictures once in the yard.

All the trains were in the yard except the one that they use for the opening ceremonies. It is an impressive display of rolling iron.
George gave us more information around the yard and then let us climb into the engine of one of the trains that wasn't powered up.

These are real Steam trains, with boilers and fire, so they were very careful. They did fire up a train for us, showing how they light the fires and how long it takes to get the pressure up, they then did a overpressure safety check and we were back on the rails again. They did a brake check and a test of the auto brake and we were back at Main Street shortly after that.

George gave us a coffee break and then we had a talk about the rest of the history of Walt and trains. We also got the Train Pin.

Would an 11 year old like the tour? If he likes trains and Disney he would! We had a grand time. The non-mechanical folk might not care for the train parts, but, the history of Walt and MK should intrest any fan.

I'll try to post some photos as soon as I can.

Thank you so much for the great description! My son is going to love it:cool1: The pictures are great too. I'm glad you had such a great time on the tour.:)

Nanette

We just did this tour last week. George is great! My DH got to change the tracks. Some pics:

Entrance.jpg

tktwindow.jpg

railkick.jpg

AllAbord.jpg

candptrainfront.jpg

clhdrive.jpg

steamfire.jpg

trains.jpg

tttrain.jpg

Hate to drag up an old post, but I had a question about the Train tour for those who have been on it recently. Are they still giving people on the tour a pin and/or spike? This is going to be the highlight of my September trip and can't wait to go.

pin yes, spike no. it was explained on the tour (which i took this past saturday) that it was considered not a great idea to be giving out spikes 'post-9/11.'

some of my own pics to add to the collection:

159231819-M-1.jpg
159235546-M.jpg
159236791-M-1.jpg
159239361-M.jpg
159242229-M.jpg
159246072-M.jpg
159251359-M-1.jpg
159247368-M.jpg
159255113-M.jpg

Wow, I never knew the trains were parked in the same building as the monorails. Can you take pictures of that as well? (I'm fascinated by both)

courtesy of pinpics.com

pin23216

this is the best i can offer for the monorail:

159240935-M-1.jpg
159243496-M.jpg
159244164-M.jpg

we were warned to stay out from under the monorail if one were passing overhead as things have been known to fall off them.

we were warned to stay out from under the monorail if one were passing overhead as things have been known to fall off them.

This is interesting, given the number of public areas there are where the monorail passes overhead. I know in some cases they have those metal arches to catch debris, but not everywhere (particularly near the magic kingdom bus loading area and the walkway to the contemporary)

My DH took our DS, age 10, on the steam train tour this past March. Our DS has been a train fanatic since about the age of two (his bedroom is ALL TRAINS. . . for example: train track headboard, "crossing gate" molding, model trains all over -- you get the idea). Our DS absolutely loved this tour and said he got so much out of it. I asked his opinion for this post and here's what he said, "For a boy who loves trains, well, this was a dream. Trains AND Disney together -- it doesn't get any better!" So, that's a 10 year old's two-cents-worth. ;)

And, by the way, the youngest you can be is 10 to go on the tour. That's why my husband took our 10 year old and the 7 year old DS and I went on rides.

This is interesting, given the number of public areas there are where the monorail passes overhead. I know in some cases they have those metal arches to catch debris, but not everywhere (particularly near the magic kingdom bus loading area and the walkway to the contemporary)

i think it was mostly for when they first come out.. tools, coffee, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter