Staying off property

Jclemons

Earning My Ears
So, we have 8 adults and staying on property will cost a lot. Does anyone know what subdivisions are closest to the parks? I’ve looked at Storey lake(20 minutes away), I can see on an Ariel map that there are housing communities much closer, just don’t know the names of those? Staying 5 nights in mid May

I've heard Champions Gate is really close to Universal.

I would just do a search within Orlando on your favorite house rental site. Then zoom the map to where Universal is. The highways make an x on its side nearby. Look at the Universal map first to make sure you zoom into the right place.

Champions Gate is more like 30 minutes from Universal. With traffic even more. But almost all of the rental homes are in communities near Disney versus Universal. I do not know of one that is closer to Universal.

I think that short term rentals are prohibited in the areas closest to Universal. Hosts can list whatever they want on Airbnb, VRBO...but it's down to the renter to research whether it's legit. The risk is choosing something that isn't allowed and at the last minute risk the listing getting pulled and you scrambling to find new lodging at last minute prices.

I'm not familiar with any subdivisions that would have legal rentals in the vicinity close to Universal. Universal is in a more commercialized area, whereas Disney is a little further out making for more vacation rentals around. Lake Buena Vista Resort Village, Floridays, and WorldQuest are condo/townhouse style rentals that are within a 15-20 minute drive to Universal. Dreams Villas of Orlando are owned by John and Kevin, who also own Dreams Unlimited Travel which operates this message board. They have full townhouses for rent, but its further to Universal - probably 30-35 minute drive.

I agree with PP that its worth pricing out Universal's value resorts. Even if you have to pay a little more and/or slightly compromise on space and comfort, it might be worth it solely for the convenience and ease of logistics.

Have you checked the rates at Endless Summer (Surfside/Dockside)? That might be cheaper than some of the off property options for 8 adults.
We stayed at ESS over Thanksgiving in a 2 bedroom suite for around $115 per night using the APH rate. It was definitely nice having a separate room for us, with the kids in the main living area on their own beds. There is definitely a difference in quality vs the deluxe resorts, but having bus access to the parks is much better than having to drive yourself.

Last edited:
We stayed at ESS over Thanksgiving in a 2 bedroom suite for around #115 per night using the APH rate. It was definitely nice having a separate room for us, with the kids in the main living area on their own beds. There is definitely a difference in quality vs the deluxe resorts, but having bus access to the parks is much better than having to drive yourself.
Parking at the Universal parks gets expensive!!!

I've been staying offsite and using flipkey without any issues for years. Do a search in Kissimmee, FL and u can add filters to narrow down ur search. Almost every house will list the distance to Disney and Universal, u just have click on a house u like and read through the description. There are tons of nice houses within 5min of Universal there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter