• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stay Play Dine 2016 Calculation Thread

SouthFayetteFan

Saving Money on Disney Vacations since 2006
The 2018 thread can be found here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-2018-calculation-thread.3638155/

The 2017 thread can be found here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-2017-calculation-thread.3550783/

I will post findings HERE of how the 2016 Stay Play Dine calculation is calculated.

The 2015 thread can be found here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-calculation.3339097/

A few quick notes:
I see these other package deals out there that do not include dining. My guess is those are merely room discounts with full price tickets on top (I don't know that for sure) but at this point I won't really be trying to dissect those. This will be devoted to the one...the only...the often complicated and never duplicated...Stay Play Dine deal.

MODERATE & DELUXE RESORTS
TICKETS: No Discount (no surprise there);
ROOM: $1.00 Off Rack Rate per night (no that isn't a joke!); (with the hotel tax this actually comes to $1.13 per night off)
DINING: Adult #1 = 55% OFF Dining Plan; Person 2-5 = 45% OFF Dining Plan (regardless of adult or child).

If appears that some deluxe resorts may give some additional room savings on top of what's listed above (specifically Boardwalk Inn, Yacht Club, possibly others). We'll continue to try to pinpoint that but for now this should give you a pretty good idea of how the savings works.

VALUE RESORTS

First Off - huge thanks to Don @ Mousesavers for some help with this one! If you haven't visited the site - Mousesavers is one of THE BEST Disney websites out there. http://www.mousesavers.com/ - go there, you won't be disappointed!

TICKETS: No Discount (no surprise there);
ROOM: $1.75 Off Rack Rate per night (no that isn't a joke!); (with the hotel tax this actually comes to $1.97 per night off at POP and $1.98 off per night at All Stars)
DINING: 40% OFF Everybody.

IS THIS THE DEAL FOR ME?

You may be asking that question - it's really hard to answer that. For my family it still is the better deal even with the lower discount than last year. We're staying at a moderate resort.

At a Deluxe resort for MANY people the room only will beat this hands down. At Moderate and Deluxe it is debatable and depends on eating habits and your party breakdown (adults vs. children).

For anybody who is used to free dining in the fall - this deal will certainly come as a shock - it is nowhere near the same value as free dining.

Last edited:
What are you actually saving?

Moderate & Deluxe Resorts:
DINING PORTION
Adult 1: Multiply $34.01 by number of nights
Other Adults: Multiply # of Adults by $27.83 by number of nights
Children: Multiply # of Children by $9.43 by number of nights
ROOM PORTION
Take number of nights multiplied by 1.125 and add to dining number above

Example - 2 Adults + 1 Child for 5 nights - Savings = $361.98
The calculation should be within $0.10 (variation due to some rounding).

Some Deluxe resorts may not follow this formula and have additional room savings - stay posted for more details.

Value Resorts:
DINING PORTION
Adults: Multiply # of adults by $17.14 by number of nights
Children: Multiply # of Children by $6.99 by number of nights
ROOM PORTION
Take number of nights multiplied by 1.75 multiplied by 1.125 and add to dining number above

Example - 2 Adults + 1 Child for 5 nights - Savings = $216.19
The calculation should be within $0.10 (variation due to some rounding).

Last edited:
So far this testing has been done at Port Orleans Riverside - Garden View Room in value season. I have tested it with 2 Adults & No Children & 2 Adults and 1 Child.

Feel free to delete my post if you don't want responses/questions here but when I called this morning, they told me that I had to upgrade to a River View Room to get a POR discount for SPD.... Perhaps I don't understand what you writing here, but are you saying that garden view rooms offer a discount at POR under SPD? Or are you just using that garden room price as a standard? Thanks.

Feel free to delete my post if you don't want responses/questions here but when I called this morning, they told me that I had to upgrade to a River View Room to get a POR discount for SPD.... Perhaps I don't understand what you writing here, but are you saying that garden view rooms offer a discount at POR under SPD? Or are you just using that garden room price as a standard? Thanks.

Garden room is available for the dates I'm looking at on the SPD Discount (Jan 31-Feb 3rd). That room category may just not have been available for your dates?

Gotcha. We are 1/17-1/24. Wow, these discounts can be complicated. Thanks to you for all the help figuring things out.

Gotcha. We are 1/17-1/24. Wow, these discounts can be complicated. Thanks to you for all the help figuring things out.

Looks like Disney is not releasing rooms under the discount for that week...they are available to book without a discount. It probably has something to do with MLK and they expect to sell out those rooms eventually without a discount.

I would keep checking back, last year I wanted a standard view at POR on the room only discount and they weren't available in October when first released and then popped up in November. I'm sure the same could happen with SPD if all the rooms don't get booked.

Just to add a data point, my best fit right now for Pop Century is 40% off dining plus $1.97/night off the room. I'm in no way done yet, though. Too many variables that I haven't narrowed down, and I've only looked at one resort for one time period (1/11-1/14).

Just to add a data point, my best fit right now for Pop Century is 40% off dining plus $1.97/night off the room. I'm in no way done yet, though. Too many variables that I haven't narrowed down, and I've only looked at one resort for one time period (1/11-1/14).

Hey Don...the weird thing it took me awhile to figure out was that the first person got a larger dining discount than person 2, 3, etc. Have you looked at that option happening at the values? I haven't pulled anything on values AT ALL yet so I could be wrong.

Actually I think it's actually 40% off dining and 2% off the room; that fits better.

Ran the math on mine- really close! Only $1.50 off, actually.

For your data:
POR Royal Room Garden View 10 nights
Two adults with 10 day park hopper tickets
Deluxe Dining Plan

If my math is correct, using your formula gets me to a total of 5114.89. My actual cost is 5113.48.

Hey Don...the weird thing it took me awhile to figure out was that the first person got a larger dining discount than person 2, 3, etc. Have you looked at that option happening at the values?

I'm not seeing that, but then my model doesn't have that as an option, and I'm getting nice, reassuringly round numbers assuming the discount is the same for each guest. But I have clearly looked at many fewer rooms and options than you have.

Ran the numbers on that with my package- again, if my math is right, that comes to 5196.69 which is about $83 off.
I think the calculation is different between Value and Moderate; I'm not even sure if it's a flat percentage off room and dining plan for all Value rooms or all Moderate rooms. I'd pay attention to SouthFayetteFan's calculations at this point; I'm just chiming in so if he gets similar numbers for Value bookings it will be reassuring that we came to similar conclusions.

I think the calculation is different between Value and Moderate; I'm not even sure if it's a flat percentage off room and dining plan for all Value rooms or all Moderate rooms. I'd pay attention to SouthFayetteFan's calculations at this point; I'm just chiming in so if he gets similar numbers for Value bookings it will be reassuring that we came to similar conclusions.

My apologies- I didn't mean to be contrary, just got a little carried away with discussing data, haha. I completely missed that you were trying to help him with Values and didn't stop to consider the actual percentages being different between resort levels. Mea culpa!

OK, I ran the model against All-Star Sports for the same period, and I'm back to 40% off plus $1.95 off the room, flat. 2% doesn't work.

Don...I'm seeing your $1.97 off per night. That would actually be $1.75 off per night (plus the 12.5% tax). I saw it work that way on two different bookings so far.
Of course - All-Stars have 13% tax instead of 12.5%. D'oh! That has some subtle ripple effects in the model, and now I'm back to $1.75 plus tax, which is $1.98 for All-Stars and $1.97 for Pop/AoA.

What a weird discount. Why bother with a room discount at all if it's going to be $1.75/night plus tax?

Hey Don...the weird thing it took me awhile to figure out was that the first person got a larger dining discount than person 2, 3, etc. Have you looked at that option happening at the values? I haven't pulled anything on values AT ALL yet so I could be wrong.

wait, does Pop Century qualify for SPD? I can't get it to work for my pop century reservations

Of course - All-Stars have 13% tax instead of 12.5%. D'oh! That has some subtle ripple effects in the model, and now I'm back to $1.75 plus tax, which is $1.98 for All-Stars and $1.97 for Pop/AoA.

What a weird discount. Why bother with a room discount at all if it's going to be $1.75/night plus tax?

It's rather ridiculous. The Moderates at $1.00 is weird too. Maybe they have a target total savings for a family of 4 on a 6 night vacation so they play around until the numbers add up to that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter