starting to plan!

almburr

DIS Veteran
whooo hooo! my boyfriend have been talking about heading to wdw for a vacation, he's never been and I've only been sadly 3 times. well speed this story up a little. my bf has CPTSD and has come a long way from being home bound and needing a service dog, to working full time and not requiring sd as much. he said out of the blue, "I want to go to WDW" I was amazed. AWESOME! so I start playing with ideas, adding in going to US also. The other night he said plan for 2 weeks! 2 weeks of a luxurious time at WDW and US. My jaw hit the floor. We are shooting for mid to late 2023 or perhaps start of 2024. He wants us to have have time to just enjoy it. I want him to have time to recharge daily and not do a park daily, just relax. He wont be able to do a lot of the rides as his vertigo causes issues, but I know that there will be some he can do. He said he is happy watching me have fun, and doesn't need to do rides. so I plan to split the two weeks between the two locations. one week at US and one week at WDW. My goal is to ride POTC,JC,HM. and a few others. I want to sit back and watch people go by, enjoy food and drink and be at the pool. Oh and we will be staying on site.

whooo hooo! my boyfriend have been talking about heading to wdw for a vacation, he's never been and I've only been sadly 3 times. well speed this story up a little. my bf has CPTSD and has come a long way from being home bound and needing a service dog, to working full time and not requiring sd as much. he said out of the blue, "I want to go to WDW" I was amazed. AWESOME! so I start playing with ideas, adding in going to US also. The other night he said plan for 2 weeks! 2 weeks of a luxurious time at WDW and US. My jaw hit the floor. We are shooting for mid to late 2023 or perhaps start of 2024. He wants us to have have time to just enjoy it. I want him to have time to recharge daily and not do a park daily, just relax. He wont be able to do a lot of the rides as his vertigo causes issues, but I know that there will be some he can do. He said he is happy watching me have fun, and doesn't need to do rides. so I plan to split the two weeks between the two locations. one week at US and one week at WDW. My goal is to ride POTC,JC,HM. and a few others. I want to sit back and watch people go by, enjoy food and drink and be at the pool. Oh and we will be staying on site.
You are so smart to plan for 2 weeks. It will give you time to truly enjoy the parks. I have been 12 times and still see new things every visit. Take it slow and enjoy the experience and the magic. Rides are nice but they do not make or break the visit. My wife and I love sitting and watching the magic that unfolds around us every day. We still do rides but only if the line if under 15 minutes.

If you are doing less rides then I would opt for a longer stay at Disney World. I would try and go when the Christmas holiday extras are happening at Disney. This is usually the week of Thanksgiving here and up to the last week of December. The week after Thanksgiving is our number one choice time for going to Disney. I would avoid Christmas week. There are more shows like the Candlelight Processional in Epcot. Get the dinner/show package which will give you reserved seating. The resorts are decorated so wonderfully. You can do the Magic Kingdom's Very Merry Christmas party. I would do at least 2 days at each Disney park. Then, you can take your time at each park.

US has more thrill rides and less shows. You don't really need as much time there in my opinion.

Last edited:
If you are doing less rides then I would opt for a longer stay at Disney World. I would try and go when the Christmas holiday extras are happening at Disney. This is usually the week of Thanksgiving here and up to the last week of December. The week after Thanksgiving is our number one choice time for going to Disney. I would avoid Christmas week. There are more shows like the Candlelight Processional in Epcot. Get the dinner/show package which will give you reserved seating. The resorts are decorated so wonderfully. You can do the Magic Kingdom's Very Merry Christmas party. I would do at least 2 days at each Disney park. Then, you can take your time at each park.

US has more thrill rides and less shows. You don't really need as much time there in my my opinion.

From someone who loves both Disney and Universal pretty equally, I agree with this post. If you are not doing a lot of rides, a week is too long for universal. I'd probably look at a 9/5 or 10/4 split favoring Disney.

This is what DW and I do every trip, no matter the length.
To not over schedule yourselves, plan to go to the parks for 2 days, take a day off, park for 2 days, take a day off, etc.
This way you will not need a vacation from your vacation when you get home.
Some things to do on those non-park days.
Depending upon what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DS (DTD), area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DS (DTD) 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

Seeing WDW with someone who has never been will be like experiencing the magic of your first time all over again! I am so excited for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter