Starting to Plan...

TraderAsh

Teen Orlando fanatic and future travel writer and/
First of all im sort of new to all these boards... I am only 17, yet a very dependable responsible 17;) I am right now financing a trip for my grandmother (whom I live with) my close friend and cousin to go on a trip to Universal... they have never been so I thought it was time for them to see it... they have been to disney a few times... I use to go to disney allot because my family lived not far from there... unfortunatly my parents were divourced.... so that ended the "family vacation" thing and my grandmother has allot of other stuff to pay for and couldnt fund a whole trip... I however have a very nice jub and can:p So after this trip to Universal I would very much like to begin to plan a trip to Disney (my last real trip was all the way back in 97) I have the Birnbaums books and disney magizine wdwig.com etc.. but there is no substitution for REAL people!!! so what im asking for is as much advice as you can give me on anything!!! lol... I would really like to stay onsite because we have always stayed off-site.. ive heard that its a much different experience... I need to do this as affordably as possible... im thinking maybe a christmas visit or Spring Break Trip...and hey there's always next summer too... but my main goal i think is for christmas.... where should I stay? will there be any deals going on? Whats the best ticket? Whats going on while im there and what is it like? Where should we dine? what should we see? All questions that need to be answered and your input would be much more than welcome... our ages are me(17) my grandmother "maggie" 57, Emily (best friend, future bride?!?)17 and possibly an aunt and uncle somewhere in the mix who have a one year old... I would pay for the room for me, my grandmother,friend and cousin and tickets etc. for my grandmother and me...everyone else will pay for themselves... my goal is somewhere around $1000 for a 4 night stay and tickets food etc. we will drive... much imput is needed! thank you all SO much!!!:cool:

It sounds like you're off to a good start with your planning.

If you divide your questions by category and post them on the separate boards, you might get some more helpful responses.

My best guess for affordability on-site would be the All-Stars. I stayed in the Sports one when they were fairly new. Or - if you'd need to get 2 rooms anyway, maybe you could check out the cabins in Fort Wilderness. People on the Resort board would be able to give you the latest info. on that.

I learned a lot on these boards by just reading a lot of other people's posts and trip reports. When you've pulled the major parts of your planning together, come back and post any other specific questions you have.

Enjoy!

I would also like to recommend "mousesavers.com" for money saving tips. I think the guidebooks are a good start as far as deciding what to do when you get there. They have detailed desciptions of all the rides, shows, etc. and you could all decide together what your "must sees" are. I like "The Unofficial Guide" which you may be able to check out at the library. It is long but very funny! You are very nice to plan and pay for this trip for your friend and grandma!!! Please let us know how your planning goes and what decisions you make about where to stay and such-Lacee

Thanks so much... anything to make us happy and I know this will! I have really been thinking about a Nov/Dec Holiday type trip..... what a great gift that would be! Ive never been to walt disney world during the holidays and I looked at some of Deb's stuff on wdwig.com and it looks very nice.... has anyone around here stayed around that time? I was even thining about maybe a New Years trip but that may be WAY too crowded... Im use to the summer crowds and they dont bother me so i doubt the regular dec/nov crowds would... also I thought that maybe the regular disney "magic" might be rerplaced with Holiday stuff... is that true? when I went to universal for thanksgiving last year that was partially the case... I really think im more of a disney person though and would enjoy there version much more... it would be great if someone could give me some good (or bad) comments about visiting during this time of year!! Thanks!

You go, girl! Sounds so wonderfully generous. You go when you can. Plan, be flexible and make the most of it....
...but if you have a choice and want holiday stuff, go BETWEEN Christmas and Thanksgiving. You'll still get holiday decor and atmosphere, but fewer crowds. The holidays themselves can be pretty crowded.

Here's what I did at the beginning stages of planning:
1. Decide the dates. I looked at crowd predictions (based on the books you referenced), when we could go, weather (I checked a weather site for historical info on rainfall and temp.).
2. Reserve a hotel. (Most of the time, you can cancel without penalty, but ask first. That way, if you find a better deal, you can have an "out"). Check out All-Stars but also CBR.
3. Tickets--see the Park Strategies section of the board. There are several posts there on discounts, but the discounts aren't deep.
4. I started watching the boards for info and adjusted as I went. I'm still learning and adjusting plans.

Good luck.

Great...I am sort of looking at CB and Port Orleans... oh bye the way im a Guy...lol:p ...no hard feeling of course....im taking this girl I like and I really want it to be a good experience for us and especially my family... thanx!

noooo its cool! ive done it before too.. Does anyone know anything about Hotwire?? I found some great rates for the day after christmas through new year on a "Customer favorite" hotel w/ 4 stars but I dont want to get something outside of Disney or at least the Downtown Disney Area... im thinking it may be the swan or Dolphin but i dunno... go see what you think! Thanks!

You may want to try Dreams unlimited. Not only do they search for the cheapest price, but after booking the continue to search for great rates and discounts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter