Starting to Learn:DAS ETHICS.

erinch

Parsing the same ee cummings poem for 20 years
Hello! I have just gotten results that confirm bullous pemphigoid, which is a rare skin blistering disease. I have a 3 week trip (annual pass) schedule in Oct/Nov, and am trying to wrap my mind around what this means for my life, and the trip. The meds I am on cause photo-toxicity in me, which means I need to severely limit sun exposure, even with sunscreen.

This means I can wait in lines that are indoor or after dark, but would rule out outdoor queues in sun. Which are a lot of queues, but not all. I just tried to do a DAS crash course, but couldn’t find anything about if it is appropriate to request DAS if you would need it for circumstances like mine?

I am 2 days into this, and apologize if there is lots of info that I didn’t find. Thank you! Erin

DAS is need-based, not diagnosis-based and there is no specified list. You can certainly request DAS, explaining your needs and not the diagnosis; the CM will make final determination. The DAS does 1 thing and 1 thing only -- it allows the user to wait somewhere other than in the queue, but it does not provide for a shaded location to wait so you are still out in the sun usually with no benches to sit, and it does not provide for immediate access so you will still have the LL queue to wait. Indoor locations can be difficult to find while waiting, especially if QS dining locations are limiting access to those with mobile orders. The DAS may help some but other plans are likely to be more helpful. I suggest you put most effort into finding appropriate ways to protect yourself from the sun -- long sleeves, pants, wide-brimmed hat, planning a mid-day break during the height of the sun, etc.

Info about DAS is in the first post of THIS THREAD. You can skip the rest of the discussion that follows in that thread. The first post is kept up-to-date.

So, right off the bat, I'm sorry you are facing this. It sounds awful.

DAS may help you avoid additional sun exposure, but ultimately, it will be up to you to figure out how to keep yourself safe. The DAS will not eliminate outdoor queues. It often uses the Lightning Lane, which may be exposed to the sun.

I would recommend a combination of UV shielded clothing (outdoor equipment stores like REI carry this stuff), wide brim hats, and a UV blocking umbrella (not a rain umbrella). You will provide need to travel during the cooler months, or as you said, focus on evening park touring.

I would not count on the DAS, but I think you have a good chance of being approved for it, as long as you don't say you can't ever be in the sun.

Look into other sun allergies and what these people do to deal with the condition. The other day I met a woman from Mexico who had a sun allergy. One of the most drastic things she did was moving to Canada. Less sun and she felt a whole lot better for the majority of the year.

And for the rest of the time it is about being as covered as is possible and comfortable.

I carry a UV umbrella for outdoor lines.
Hello! I have just gotten results that confirm bullous pemphigoid, which is a rare skin blistering disease. I have a 3 week trip (annual pass) schedule in Oct/Nov, and am trying to wrap my mind around what this means for my life, and the trip. The meds I am on cause photo-toxicity in me, which means I need to severely limit sun exposure, even with sunscreen.

This means I can wait in lines that are indoor or after dark, but would rule out outdoor queues in sun. Which are a lot of queues, but not all. I just tried to do a DAS crash course, but couldn’t find anything about if it is appropriate to request DAS if you would need it for circumstances like mine?

I am 2 days into this, and apologize if there is lots of info that I didn’t find. Thank you! Erin
Wishing you the best as you navigate thru this new diagnosis.

I suffer from medication related photosensitivity issues as well. I tried many brands of sunscreen and found Blue Lizzard brand Sunscreen to work the best. I know it can be purchased on Amazon. Best wishes 🙏

Thank you all for your feedback and support. So wonderful to reach out and someone is there!

I went to WDW four times in the last year, and a three week trips sounds like way too much for me. I bet you could cover everything you want to at night with a trip that long.

I would not be testing a skin blistering condition against Florida sun.

DAS can give you a return time, but it doesn't create shade. There just isn't much shade at WDW. This might be a very difficult one to manage.

I would certainly try to get DAS. I disagree with the others, I think it would help. The program itself may not create shade, but the whole point is to allow you to wait somewhere else. You would be responsible for finding the shade, but that would be much easier to do with DAS than without it. Good luck navigating this new diagnose and with your trip planning.

I went to WDW four times in the last year, and a three week trips sounds like way too much for me. I bet you could cover everything you want to at night with a trip that long.

I would not be testing a skin blistering condition against Florida sun.

DAS can give you a return time, but it doesn't create shade. There just isn't much shade at WDW. This might be a very difficult one to manage.
I am trying to wrap my head around all of this! Disney Pro here. I can close my eyes and instantaneously be walking over the bridge at Discovery Island, AK, or headed to France, or from HM to Tom Sawyer. This is brand-new and trying to imagine all options.

Most of our trips have been in summer, due to kids and now adult teacher daughter who melts down if we contemplate going without her. But this trip is to celebrate my 65th bday. I got old! We will start in Halloween and end in Christmas. 2 nights on auto train, 2 at AKL, a night or 2 at US for Grinchmas, and 2 weeks at the Vistana, which we love.

Newly minted Incredipasses, prior to diagnosis.

Since I have been so blessed with good health up to now , I knew nothing about DAS, and you all have been so helpful. It is a long time till October,and I am now adding trip insurance to plans. I think what I understand is that DAS might be helpful for a few specific attractions. It sounds like my better option might have to be stacking LLs for park days and visiting during vampire hours, out of the sun. And hope closing times are extended. The time will change while there, which I never thought I would welcome.

I am trying to wrap my head around all of this! Disney Pro here. I can close my eyes and instantaneously be walking over the bridge at Discovery Island, AK, or headed to France, or from HM to Tom Sawyer. This is brand-new and trying to imagine all options.

Most of our trips have been in summer, due to kids and now adult teacher daughter who melts down if we contemplate going without her. But this trip is to celebrate my 65th bday. I got old! We will start in Halloween and end in Christmas. 2 nights on auto train, 2 at AKL, a night or 2 at US for Grinchmas, and 2 weeks at the Vistana, which we love.

Since I have been so blessed with good health up to now , I knew nothing about DAS, and you all have been so helpful. It is a long time till October,and I am now adding trip insurance to plans. I think what I understand is that DAS might be helpful for a few specific attractions. It sounds like my better option might have to be stacking LLs for park days and visiting during vampire hours, out of the sun. And hope closing times are extended. The time will change while there, which I never thought I would welcome.
For me DAS is a wonderful additional tool… but it can never replace being proactive about my own condition, managing and preparing for circumstances as they arise. I’ve had enough experience to anticipate many of my needs and plan accordingly… and if things happen, I’m better able to cope and problem solve.

I think as you begin to learn and understand your condition you’ll develop lots of techniques, perhaps including DAS, that will help you relax and enjoy your trip. In fact, I’ll bet it won’t be long before you’ll be offering others in similar circumstances lots of suggestions for managing their conditions, too!

I visited that exact time of year in 2019. It was great weather but the sun was indeed out and I wore capri pants.

I just wanted to add you may want to look at website like Coolibar that make great sun protective clothing. They have sleeves you can wear with your t-shirts, gloves, wraps, hats, etc. I'm not sure if you can have your hands and feet exposed but they do sell something that would let you be out in the sun - assuming SPF 50 sunblock clothing is enough.

I take a med that can also cause blistering in the sun. I wear coolibar items and I'm careful but I haven't had problems with exposed hands or bits of my legs exposed. I actually prefer the late nights - not sure how late the park will be open when you're there. Definitely consider doing any after hours event (Halloween party) and maybe plan on sleeping in. You should know a lot more about how likely you are to blister by that time. I use an ECV (because of bad knees) and I'm good at finding places to park in the shade because I have my seat with me at all times - haha! There really is a lot of shade to be found. I hope you have a great trip!

I have to stay out of the sun, and I have had DAS in the past (not for that issue) and I've found more shade and AC in the queues than out. I do take a huge break in the middle of the day, back at the resort, but that is also tricky as it's a long walk to the bus stops. Honestly, I had way more sun exposure getting to the parks, through the parks, and waiting for a DAS return time to show up than I did in any of the standby queues I attempted. I found myself waiting in a lot of shops.

Going in October is going to be tricky - the parks close earlier, don't they? October gets 12 hours of daylight at the beginning of the month, and 11 by the end, so that might work out for you though.

My brother in law developed a sun allergy about 5 years ago. For our family Disney trips he wears a long sleeve sun blocking shirt. Long pants. A sun blocking hat. And a scarf that he can also pull up onto his face if he needs to.

I don't have an allergy to the sun, but before my trip in August last year I purchased a sun blocking umbrella. You may want to look into having one of those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter