Starting the buying process some dining questions:

Boopuff

DIS Veteran
First we've researched a lot. Pretty much decided on OKW or SSR as a home resort. (most likely buying direct - we like all the extras) We used to always get the dining plan (we use it to the full effect of the dollar!) but buying DVC, the TIW card really won't work to our advantage since we plan to go every other year (bank, borrow etc) I understand that we can get the Dining plan (no discount- correct?) Does DVC have a dining line to make reservations - if so do you find that you are able to get most of your selected restaurants? (I know I've missed out on some of my choices trying to book through the app) Any other dining tips as DVC owners? Thanks!

Depending on the size of your party, length of stay, what you order, the TIW may be worthwhile even for a single trip.
Remember, your blue card gets you 10% off most table service restaurants. That discount alone may be better than dining plans or TIW for many people.
For the TIW card, At $150 and 20% discount...the break even point is $750, but that ignores already getting a blue card discount. But if you spend $1500 at sit-down restaurants, you'd save $300 with TIW (pay $1200), you'd save $150 (pay $1350) with just regular blue card discount. So that's about the break even point. And it's good for up to 10 people. So if you're traveling with other parties... a large group can save a lot of money with one TIW card.
Now to your question -- DVC ownership doesn't give any special privileges for making dining reservations. Same as any other on-site guests.
And no discount on the dining plan. (I do feel it would be to everyone's benefit for Disney to offer a discount on the dining plan to DVC members, but it's not the case).

Does DVC have a dining line to make reservations - if so do you find that you are able to get most of your selected restaurants? (I know I've missed out on some of my choices trying to book through the app) Any other dining tips as DVC owners? Thanks!
DVC Member Services can make ADRs for members, but that would put you at a 3 hour disadvantage since MS does not open until 9 am eastern.

There is no dining reservations advantage for DVC owners. I used to get TIW when it was less expensive and my trips included more people,

Now, I find that the DVC blue card discount or AP discount is works just as well for us. If we ever were going with a big group, then I might as it includes discounts on drinks.

Another TIW advantage is it is good for adult beverages, while the DVC discount is not. TIW you get a 20% discount, but adds a 18% tip. TIW is usually good for 13 months or so.

DVC is zero help for booking restaurants. The pre-Covid game was fierce and 180 days out, like any other on-property stay. I guess you could game it a little by making your reservation look like you got there sooner and then cancel, but you could do that with cash too, and easier to cancel.

Resale buyers (white card) used to be able get TiW too, I got one in Feb before lockdown with a white card. Yay? Now there is no TiW, so who knows.

Other than the ability to buy TiW (which may or may not come back), DVC is no different than any other on property stay. Sometimes, your Visa or AP or TiW discount applies, and your DVC discount doesn't. Depends on each restaurant, just to be super confusing. There's a chart at Mouseperks, which I found helpful when buying in. For me, the Blue Card didn't do much that TiW and my Visa can do. Even if TiW doesn't return, my Visa came pretty close to Blue Card discount for what I care about.

Last edited:
Remember, your blue card gets you 10% off most table service restaurants. That discount alone may be better than dining plans or TIW for many people.

+1

TIW card really won't work to our advantage

I would do the math before your trips. Right now TIW is not available and likely won't be again until 2022 when the dining plan is likely to return.

Any other dining tips as DVC owners?

Others have said it that there is no benefit for DVC owners regarding dining other than being able to buy the TIW and the discounts for being a blue card owner (direct). You can check the savings at Mouse Perks.

I honestly can never make the math be cheaper on the dining plan but I know others find it saves them money.

Also at this point all dining reservations you should be doing online. Don't worry about calling anyone as the online system is the easiest and quickest way to get things booked and make changes.

For dining, what is the best way to go actually depends on doing the math applicable to your particular situation. You have the DVC card meal discounts at many places, typically 10%, but more in some places, that exclude alcohol drinks. You have the TIW card with a 20% discount, including alcohol, applicable almost everywhere at WDW, which card is actually good for anywhere from 13 to 14 months -- you get an expiration date that is the last date of the month after the month in which you buy the card, e.g., buy any time from Dec 1 to Dec 31, 2020, and it will expire Jan 31, 2022.

And you also have the option of the Disney dining plan. That plan that you can get through DVC is not technically a discount from the one offered by Disney generally, but sometimes actually costs a little less simply because the date its price changes for DVC when there is an increase may be after the price change for the regular guest Disney dining plan. How good the dining plan actually works for your group can vary from being an overall discount from regular food prices to actually being more expensive depending on how you use it, e.g., if you eat only twice day at WDW, you may spend more on the dining plan than if you just paid regular meal prices.

The one thing you do not have with any of the above is some special privilege, such as though DVC, to make reservations sooner than others. My guess for your probable every two-year schedule is that the DVC card dining discounts may be the best choice, but to actually determine which is best requires each member to do the math concerning number of persons in your group and likely eating patterns.

Last edited:
Both of my DD are HUGE Disney fans. The moonlight magic, the lounges, really matter to them (they are adults and will possibly be co-owners)

I would just outline that:

Moonlight Magic could always removed or reduced in how often its offered. It also is not always announced that far ahead of time either.
TOWL is both resale and direct members.
Epcot Lounge some people like others are not a huge fan of and there are no other lounges in parks.

I am not saying you are wrong for putting value on them just wanted to clarify if you didn't know. There is always a chance as well that Disney adds other things as well and you get access to something new for direct owners.

I would also outline just having 125 direct points qualifies you for all of that. You can have the rest on resale.

For me part of why I bought 300 points direct was because of the discounting. By the time I added 100 points at RIV @$195/point I could add the extra 200 points at $138/point because of the incentives. If I was to buy BLT or CCV direct I wouldn't have gotten Epcot (which is the area I prefer) and I would have likely paid roughly the same amount for resale points with less contract length.

Another quick question: if you buy TIW do you only get one card per account?

Epcot Lounge some people like others are not a huge fan of and there are no other lounges in parks.

I would add there is no guarantee of the Epcot Lounge continuing indefinitely. When that area comes round for a re-do, they are likely to lose the space. They have the space right now because that area is so... yeah.

As far as adult children co-owning, if they are not on the deed they would not have access to TOTW, discounts or etc. unless accompanied by someone on the deed. If on the deed, they would have full rights to use the points without the okay of anyone else on the deed, and it could be considered an asset for them, with implications both within marital situations and debt situations. This is deeded real estate, so there are outcomes from that.

Another quick question: if you buy TIW do you only get one card per account?

You can get a second one but not for free. Before Disney "temporarily" stopped selling the card as part of Covid rules, the purchase price for a DVC member for the initial TIW card was $150. You could purchase a second card in the name of a spouse or other partner on the DVC account for $50.

Last edited:
You can get the discount on a second Disney Visa. For what I care about, it’s mostly as good as Blue Card and almost as good as TiW.

I would do the math before your trips. Right now TIW is not available and likely won't be again until 2022 when the dining plan is likely to return.
You really don't expect the dining plan to return until 2022? I figured it's a money-maker for Disney and would return once more and more table service restaurants and quick service places reopen.

You really don't expect the dining plan to return until 2022? I figured it's a money-maker for Disney and would return once more and more table service restaurants and quick service places reopen.

Well I think restaurants are limited in capacity until probably next October at the earliest so they need to pull down more revenue. They likely get a smaller cut when selling a meal on the Dining Plan and will likely not have issues filling up while they are limited to lower capacities.

In addition others have brought it up that by now negotiations would be well under way and with so much uncertainty that is unlikely happening.

+1

Others have said it that there is no benefit for DVC owners regarding dining other than being able to buy the TIW and the discounts for being a blue card owner (direct). You can check the savings at Mouse Perks.

I honestly can never make the math be cheaper on the dining plan but I know others find it saves them money.

Also at this point all dining reservations you should be doing online. Don't worry about calling anyone as the online system is the easiest and quickest way to get things booked and make changes.

The addition of adult beverages helps with the math. It also helps if you choose certain restaurants and meals.

Depending on the size of your party, length of stay, what you order, the TIW may be worthwhile even for a single trip.
For the TIW card, At $150 and 20% discount...the break even point is $750, but that ignores already getting a blue card discount. But if you spend $1500 at sit-down restaurants, you'd save $300 with TIW (pay $1200), you'd save $150 (pay $1350) with just regular blue card discount. So that's about the break even point. And it's good for up to 10 people. So if you're traveling with other parties... a large group can save a lot of money with one TIW card.
Now to your question -- DVC ownership doesn't give any special privileges for making dining reservations. Same as any other on-site guests.
And no discount on the dining plan. (I do feel it would be to everyone's benefit for Disney to offer a discount on the dining plan to DVC members, but it's not the case).
Don’t forget alcohol. The fact that TIW includes alcohol will heavily alter the break even math on $1500 worth of meals.... if you drink.

Last edited:
They negotiate one year contracts, generally starting in October. No negotiations for 2021 have been undertaken.

While yes, they could do it on the fly mid year, it would be a pain and then either get them off cycle, or needing to do it again in October anyway.

My money is on nothing until 2022. The contracting is too big a fuss for a part-year thing, and they don't want DDP pricing off cycle to resort rack rate/package releases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter