Star Wars Launch Bay

Sorcerer Jody

Mouseketeer
Does anybody know if Star Wars Launch Bay will ever reopen? Weren't there certain SW characters that you could meet there, that you can't see around Galaxy's Edge?

Thanks!

No idea but we enjoyed wandering around in there, especially on hot days.

Before, you could meet Darth Vader there as well as Kylo Ren and Chewbacca (who are both now in Galaxy’s Edge). Really miss Darth Vader as that was one of my very favorite character meets.

There were also a few other characters you could also occasionally meet there but I can’t remember who.

What was fantastic about Launch Bay was that there characters were there for photo-ops. If you wanted a picture with Chewie, Darth Vader or Kylo Ren all you had to do was be willing to wait in line. At Galaxy's Edge (in my experience,) the characters were on a mission and not willing to stop for pictures.

If they want to keep the "immersion" of Galalxy's Edge and stick with the policy that characters in Galaxy's Edge do not stop for pictures or rarely stop for pictures, they need to offer Launch Bay as an alternative, or have designated spots/locations within Galaxy's Edge where the characters will stop for pictures.

That building is one of the most frustrating parts of the park to me. It is such a GIGANTIC waste of space, there are SO many things they could be doing with it, even if they just made it a really cool museum. We are some of the perceived “weird” few who really loved Innoventions when it was in its prime, the ”House of the Future,” the Asimo demonstrations, the VR games, etc... It was also neat when they had all of the Iron Man suits on display, other Star Wars props and costumes, meet/greets, things to wander around and look at.
I just wish they could get it together and at least do something with it, that would actually be something that people would want to go to as a place to cool off and maybe alleviate some crowding at times. I’ve seen nothing on any sort of plan to do anything with the space, at least if they had to do renovations, it wouldn’t be missed currently, since there’s nothing to miss… lol

Last time I was there, they had a sign up that was like "Exclusive Character Meet & Greet for Disney VISA cardholders" and I was like... I don't know if that's a new sign or an old sign or what. (I'm not a Disney VISA cardholder so IDK.)

But, yes, it's absolutely a waste of space at this point. I know Disney is busy rebuilding ToonTown, but next up on the announced projects needs to be some changes to Tomorrowland. I wouldn't want to change the iconic Space Mountain building or anything like that, but an overall refresh, something going in the Launch Bay building, a few tweaks here and there, would do it a world of good. (Also, I hate Autopia, but I suppose that's not going anywhere.)

Last time I was there, they had a sign up that was like "Exclusive Character Meet & Greet for Disney VISA cardholders" and I was like... I don't know if that's a new sign or an old sign or what. (I'm not a Disney VISA cardholder so IDK.)

But, yes, it's absolutely a waste of space at this point. I know Disney is busy rebuilding ToonTown, but next up on the announced projects needs to be some changes to Tomorrowland. I wouldn't want to change the iconic Space Mountain building or anything like that, but an overall refresh, something going in the Launch Bay building, a few tweaks here and there, would do it a world of good. (Also, I hate Autopia, but I suppose that's not going anywhere.)
They do have this there now (Boba Fett's throne and Stormtroopers magic shot) but it's outside over by the Autopia entrance.

It seems to me that with GE in Disneyland that the Launch Bay area could easily be re-themed and re-worked into something new and vibrant. Maybe a total overhaul of Tomorrowland wouldn't be a bad idea and update it with some slick theming and even a new attraction?

It seems to me that with GE in Disneyland that the Launch Bay area could easily be re-themed and re-worked into something new and vibrant. Maybe a total overhaul of Tomorrowland wouldn't be a bad idea and update it with some slick theming and even a new attraction?
There are rumors of an update to Tomorrowland so maybe that's part of the plan. I think we will know more during D23.

What was fantastic about Launch Bay was that there characters were there for photo-ops. If you wanted a picture with Chewie, Darth Vader or Kylo Ren all you had to do was be willing to wait in line. At Galaxy's Edge (in my experience,) the characters were on a mission and not willing to stop for pictures.

If they want to keep the "immersion" of Galalxy's Edge and stick with the policy that characters in Galaxy's Edge do not stop for pictures or rarely stop for pictures, they need to offer Launch Bay as an alternative, or have designated spots/locations within Galaxy's Edge where the characters will stop for pictures.
That was our experience as well. We tried to get Rey to stop for a picture but she insisted she was off to find Chewy and couldn't stop. Then Chewy arrived right as she said that. We got our pic, but I have to say Rey look really ticked at us.

Attachments

• IMG_8495.jpeg
    IMG_8495.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 20
That building is one of the most frustrating parts of the park to me. It is such a GIGANTIC waste of space, there are SO many things they could be doing with it, even if they just made it a really cool museum. We are some of the perceived “weird” few who really loved Innoventions when it was in its prime, the ”House of the Future,” the Asimo demonstrations, the VR games, etc... It was also neat when they had all of the Iron Man suits on display, other Star Wars props and costumes, meet/greets, things to wander around and look at.
I just wish they could get it together and at least do something with it, that would actually be something that people would want to go to as a place to cool off and maybe alleviate some crowding at times. I’ve seen nothing on any sort of plan to do anything with the space, at least if they had to do renovations, it wouldn’t be missed currently, since there’s nothing to miss… lol
I agree. What it needs to be is another old school dark ride….not a fancy thrill roller coaster VR nonsense.

Just a plain ol’ animatronic dark ride.

We're some of those "weird few" as well. We were very saddened to see Asimo relegated to being a prop in Autopia. So sad.

They also, when Avengers first came out, had meet and greets with Capt. America and Thor in that building, along with a number of the movie props. And yes, they did have Chewie; Vader; and Boba Fett there at one time. They really should put these characters there again, as they're trying really hard to keep the original characters separate from the new ones in Batuu.

Of course, I'd like them to really address Autopia. Why not update those carts to electric vehicles? Retheme it!! Would be much better than those caustic gas fumes.

Of course, I'd like them to really address Autopia. Why not update those carts to electric vehicles? Retheme it!! Would be much better than those caustic gas fumes.
My hubs says that all the time, that he can’t believe they haven’t switched to electric cars yet, especially since it’s supposed to be TOMORROW land! It‘s such a relaxing little drive, except for the fumes, that’s the worst part to me!
I know it’s a classic ride, but I don’t think it would be too hard to use the same car frame/body for continuity. Maybe when they finally update the land, it’ll get some attention… fingers crossed…

How long do you suppose an electric Autopia car might last? And how long to charge the battery?

I agree it would better fit with the theme but when you think about the logistics of it, I don’t think it will happen for a long time unless they can come up with a method to charge the cars on the track.

How long do you suppose an electric Autopia car might last? And how long to charge the battery?

I agree it would better fit with the theme but when you think about the logistics of it, I don’t think it will happen for a long time unless they can come up with a method to charge the cars on the track.
Solar powered cars!

Solar would definitely be an option, but I wonder how often they have to gas up the cars now? I’ve had them just die/run out of gas several times while riding, and it’s not a lot of fun being a sitting duck until someone happens to notice, and holding up whoever is behind us, lol.
I’m sure it would take some sort of grand imagineering for Disney to get it all figured out, but with what they’ve done in recent years, I can’t imagine it would be too hard to do…

Ridiculous. I have literally dozens of photos taken with Galaxy's Edge's various denizens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter