Star Wars Episode VII to Begin Shooting in May

Being a newbie to the WDW experience, I'm unfamiliar with their pattern cashing in on properties or rolling out new ventures. I would think that the competition from Universal's HP attractions would force their hand into increasing new attractions. Avatarland is now under construction, with the next movie to be released in 2015. With the upcoming release of SW Episode VII, one would think Disney would plan some attraction to cash in on the hype. They were caught unprepared for the excitement from Frozen, scrambling to meet the demand for more in the parks.

Being a newbie to the WDW experience, I'm unfamiliar with their pattern cashing in on properties or rolling out new ventures. I would think that the competition from Universal's HP attractions would force their hand into increasing new attractions. Avatarland is now under construction, with the next movie to be released in 2015. With the upcoming release of SW Episode VII, one would think Disney would plan some attraction to cash in on the hype. They were caught unprepared for the excitement from Frozen, scrambling to meet the demand for more in the parks.

Historically at WDW, the gap between a movies release and a new ride opening for it is pretty large. The fastest was Buzz Lightyear which opened 3 years after Toy Story, but that used an existing track and show building. The shortest gap for a totally new ride was Alladin's Magic Carpet which was 9 years after the movie. Re-themes of rides and shows tend to be a little shorter. M&Gs tend to the shortest and recently have been opening even before the movie opens.

Historically at WDW, the gap between a movies release and a new ride opening for it is pretty large. The fastest was Buzz Lightyear which opened 3 years after Toy Story, but that used an existing track and show building. The shortest gap for a totally new ride was Alladin's Magic Carpet which was 9 years after the movie. Re-themes of rides and shows tend to be a little shorter. M&Gs tend to the shortest and recently have been opening even before the movie opens.
There are rumors that Tomorrow Land over at DLR will be getting a major Star Wars themed make over soon. DHS could definately use a Star Wars Land. But as LOL likes to point out Disney is a business and businesses generally, don't like spending money when they don't have to. I imagine if the Star Wars character meals are a hit, which it looks like they will be, you can bet they'd be permanent. They might also decide to retheme Sci Fi Drive In to a Star Wars theme. All it would take is some new decor, menu, and retheme the booths and you're done.

god...its really pathetic/depressing when you type it out like that...

why don't we ask more of this 40 billion dollar circus? I mean...really?

Interesting. I know that It's Tough to Be a Bug 3-D experience at Animal Kingdom opened before the movie It's a Bugs Life was released. And, didn't Countdown to Extinction (now Dinosaur) open before the Dinosaur movie came out? Not exactly based on the movie, but the dino is the same.

Interesting. I know that It's Tough to Be a Bug 3-D experience at Animal Kingdom opened before the movie It's a Bugs Life was released. And, didn't Countdown to Extinction (now Dinosaur) open before the Dinosaur movie came out? Not exactly based on the movie, but the dino is the same.

The bugs life show was added late in the construction process at animal kingdom and is therefore a complete outlier from normal operation.

They didnt have much, they new it...and decided a Pixar movie was worth the calculated risk.

Ctx wasn't a spinoff of the movie...or really vice versa.
That was a tacky rename for cheap Pub that was an earmark of the later reign of king Eisner I...

Before he was sent to the tower after the coup ;)

I was told countdown to ext. became dinosaur after the execs wanted a movie tie in for the film dinosaur and they wanted to tame down the countdown ride. The current soundtrack us a bit different from the original.

http://youtu.be/oYJWDmkildU Interesting "news" from a few months ago. Truth or speculation?
Heavy speculation. Nothing has been confirmed by any means. For one marvel cannot come to WDW due to strict contracts with universal so that part of the video is completely false. If Star Wars land were going to be completed in 2018 it would have been announced by now or at least the rumor mill and speculation would be flying.

Everytime she says "plans" in relation to Star Wars attractions just change it to "rumors".

The reality is...all rumors of construction that will be completed in less than 5 years have to be discarded immediately in no uncertain terms...because they have shown no desire to build on what can even be loosely termed an "accelerated" schedule.

They just won't do it... Always have something going...but have these ridiculous 2-3 year "development" periods before a spoonful of dirt is moved. Fantasyland shows another new reality...that they will use every second of their production timeline to finish... Which is counter intuitive and shows a calculated "pacing" of construction that is beyond strange.

Construction contracts almost always have a standard bonus/liquidated damage clause system that rewards early completion as a trade off for charging if failure to meet occurs.

Unless major problems occur - which doesn't seem to be the case at all - then what project doesn't finish early?

Ones that are done deliberately to stretch out investment...to beat the "newness" of it out over time to sell rooms and gold plated parkhoppers.

That's what is going on here.
By contrast...go read one of the accounts of the construction of EPCOT and what they did in the timeframe.
The real shame is that Disney didnt have enough money to do that then...they have enough to do it 10x over now.

'Star Wars: Episode VII’ has already started filming, Disney chairman confirms

Disney CEO Alan Horn reveals that casting is not yet complete on director J.J. Abrams’ ‘Star Wars’ flick.

Isn't Iger the CEO? (quoting the source, not the poster)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter