• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Star Wars Day at Sea cruise?

disney_dreamin

Earning My Ears
Me and hubby are trying to decide when to take our next Disney cruise. We've been looking at the SWDAS cruises, but we were a little confused about how that cruise works. Does SWDAS replace pirate night? Or are there two event days on the ship? I've seen some reports that there are two fireworks nights on the ship, so I was wondering.

From our cruise in January: - you still have Pirate night, you get fireworks on both nights. You don't get the Pirate menu for dinner (just the regular menu), but you get the Star Wars menu. The late night buffet is after the fireworks on Star Wars night, not on Pirate night.
Pirate night is just the evening/night. Star Wars is a full day of activities.

From our cruise in January: - you still have Pirate night, you get fireworks on both nights. You don't get the Pirate menu for dinner (just the regular menu), but you get the Star Wars menu. The late night buffet is after the fireworks on Star Wars night, not on Pirate night.
Pirate night is just the evening/night. Star Wars is a full day of activities.
This squares with our SWDAS experience in March. The day has all sorts of fun activities, lots of characters, etc. We took to wandering around the ship throughout the day because you never knew who might just show up.

As far as characters goed, I feel like we didn't miss any other characters, just some werent repeated. Where for example the Toy Story and Disney jr characters did 'two days' on my Halloween and Christmas cruises of 2017, on my February 2018 cruise they only did 'one day'. The dance party they usually do the afternoon of the last sea day was moved to the night before SWDAS.
I really dislike SW but still quite enjoyed a SWDAS cruise tbh.
Our pirate night was quite weird though. The show with Mickey was in daylight at like 5pm, the one with Jack Sparrow was between the 2 dinnerseatings. Where on my other sailings the Mickey one was between dinners and the Jack Sparrow (the one with fireworks) after second dinner.

We are huge Star Wars fans and did a Spring Break Star Wars cruise this year. It was so awesome. We loved every second of SWDAS. There was still a pirate night but no pirate menu. There was a special star wars menu on SWDAS and so much to do. Certainly helped our experience that DS13 won the evening Star Wars trivia contest (which was tons of fun) and we also played and won a bunch of other trivia games throughout the cruise. We all also separately ran into a lot of cool SW characters during the day (I was on my way to the restroom from the theater and hung out with Boba Fett for a bit). The Empire take over the night before SWDAS was fun and really got us extra excited! If I had to do it again, I would bring our costumes - we didn't this time because we were on a total 9 day trip and flying Spirit down and only paid for 2 checked bags so no room!

SWDAS is mainly during the day with characters, if you get a ticket for the good ones. We (even though we are gold CC) got one ticket for a character I didn't know, though I've seen all the SW movies, this was a minor character. Then there is a SW dinner menu but no characters, no servers costumed, or anything special in the evening. Pirate Night is still pirate night with all the bells and whistles associated with it. Love pirate night, SW was so-so, I expected much more than a character repelling on to the pool deck.

We did a SWDAS last January, its on Thursday. We are Silver CC and had no problem getting tickets to character events and jedi temple training. The ticketed characters events are on non-SW days too but we had costumes so we wanted them on that day. We saw Darth Vader, Chewbacca and C3PO/R2D2. The jedi training is for kids 4/5-12?? I can't remember the exact age range. My 5yr old loved it. There are other characters roaming around too. Storm troopers patrolled the pool deck throughout the day.

The Last Jedi had just come out so that was the show in the evening. Late night fireworks followed. It was really cold on deck, everyone grabbed towels to try to stay warm.

Still pirate night with the prince/princess menu and deck shows/fireworks.

SWDAS is mainly during the day with characters, if you get a ticket for the good ones. We (even though we are gold CC) got one ticket for a character I didn't know, though I've seen all the SW movies, this was a minor character. Then there is a SW dinner menu but no characters, no servers costumed, or anything special in the evening. Pirate Night is still pirate night with all the bells and whistles associated with it. Love pirate night, SW was so-so, I expected much more than a character repelling on to the pool deck.
Sounds like you did SWDAS pre 2018. This year the ticketed character meets were Chewbacca, the Droids, & Darth Vader. They were available for booking during online check-in. We could book all 3 meets. The Jedi Training was also available during online check-in. Much better than the "luck of the draw" way it was done previously. Those characters also had meet times on the non-star wars days.

I booked my sw cruise 3 weeks ahead and had no issue at all to get all 3 ticketed meets. I chose to have them on SWDAS itself because I would have hated them to interfere with regular scheduled charactermeets on the other days while I heard on beforehand that the SW characters that roam dont start til like 10, so I booked my ticketed ones at 8, 8.30 and 9 and then went for breakfast to be all ready for all the other stuff.
I had Palo brunch that day at 11 and by then I had met ALL SW characters except boba fett and the stormtroopers that roam on deck 4 (they are from a different order than the ones at the pool) after Palo it was easy to catch just those 2.

Sounds like you did SWDAS pre 2018. This year the ticketed character meets were Chewbacca, the Droids, & Darth Vader. They were available for booking during online check-in. We could book all 3 meets. The Jedi Training was also available during online check-in. Much better than the "luck of the draw" way it was done previously. Those characters also had meet times on the non-star wars days.
Yes it was a January 2017. When we first signed up for the cruise (mid 2016) it was not a SWDAS but quickly changed once the original SWDAS cruises were filled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter