Stair Difficulty

Knowing that there were steps in the regular queue at Space Mountain, and also knowing that I would not be able to see them because of my visual impairment and the low light in the queue, I explained my situation to the CM and asked if I could use the accessible queue. They said no.

That’s the one thing I dislike about the current system; whether or not to give an accommodation not specifically covered by the DAS is completely left up to the personal discretion of the cast member who happens to be on duty at the time you ask. Any given individual CM may be new on the job with inadequate training, they may have personal biases, they may be overzealous in trying to gatekeep accommodations, they may be so tired and overworked that they’re just not thinking clearly, they may just be having a bad day- they’re only human and don’t always get everything right.

I’m not saying this to be discouraging. The CM you ask may just as likely say yes - it sounds like some other people in this thread have had better luck than I did. I’m only saying it because I hate to think of anybody being in the situation I was in, where I just assumed I would automatically be given the accommodation I needed so I didn’t have a backup plan.
I do not get a DAS but I have never been made to use steps when walking with my cane. Granted have not done Space Mountain in that I can not get out of the ride vehicle.

Knowing that there were steps in the regular queue at Space Mountain, and also knowing that I would not be able to see them because of my visual impairment and the low light in the queue, I explained my situation to the CM and asked if I could use the accessible queue. They said no.

That’s the one thing I dislike about the current system; whether or not to give an accommodation not specifically covered by the DAS is completely left up to the personal discretion of the cast member who happens to be on duty at the time you ask. Any given individual CM may be new on the job with inadequate training, they may have personal biases, they may be overzealous in trying to gatekeep accommodations, they may be so tired and overworked that they’re just not thinking clearly, they may just be having a bad day- they’re only human and don’t always get everything right.

I’m not saying this to be discouraging. The CM you ask may just as likely say yes - it sounds like some other people in this thread have had better luck than I did. I’m only saying it because I hate to think of anybody being in the situation I was in, where I just assumed I would automatically be given the accommodation I needed so I didn’t have a backup plan.

You told the CM that you could not do stairs?

You told the CM that you could not do stairs?

I honestly don’t remember the exact wording I used. I know I told them that I could not see the stairs, that I wouldn’t be able to tell where they started or ended, and that I had fallen the last time I attempted to go that way. I suppose it might have been simpler for them to understand if I had just said something like “I can’t do stairs” instead of going into detail. I probably confused them!

I would politely ask for their lead and explain the situation, but this is one area where the old system did excel, it had stamps that told them exactly what accommodations you would need, such as avoiding stairs. I would love to see Disney reintroduce a similar card, but don't make it a DAS or front of the line, simply a card that provides instructions for the CMs for situations like this and each attraction where it applies should have procedures in place. In this case, they should have given you a wheelchair return time since the queue would not be accessible to you.

I honestly don’t remember the exact wording I used. I know I told them that I could not see the stairs, that I wouldn’t be able to tell where they started or ended, and that I had fallen the last time I attempted to go that way. I suppose it might have been simpler for them to understand if I had just said something like “I can’t do stairs” instead of going into detail. I probably confused them!
Could be you confused them. Short and sweet is often best!
If the same thing ever happens again, remember you can always ask for a lead/supervisor

Yeah, simple is generally best, just say, I can't do stairs, except in emergencies/ride evacuation (if you can in an emergency, which should be better lit, otherwise omit that part as well), end of statement and if they say, well it is only 2 or 3 steps, tell them the number doesn't matter.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter