St. Maarten Excursions

MaryPoppins983

Practically perfect in every way!
Hi. I'm going on a cruise 5/19, but if we end up not going to Tortola, I want some St. Maarten backup excursions planned. If anyone has been there recently, is the flying Dutchman zip line up and running, or was it damaged in the hurricane? Also, has anyone done the rum distillery tour or sailing the tall ship Mercedes? Thanks!

Hi. I'm going on a cruise 5/19, but if we end up not going to Tortola, I want some St. Maarten backup excursions planned. If anyone has been there recently, is the flying Dutchman zip line up and running, or was it damaged in the hurricane? Also, has anyone done the rum distillery tour or sailing the tall ship Mercedes? Thanks!
We'll be on the same cruise and are wondering the same thing!

We were on the Fantasy that sailed Feb 24, 2018. We did St. Maarten, and hired a private driver/tour. I know for a fact that a few people did the zip line since they have posted pics since returning to the group's social media page. For our group the rum tour I believe was no longer an option that we could book. I don't know about the tall ship (I just can't remember). I will say that the options to book were far fewer than the options listed under the general info page on Disney's website.

We were on the Fantasy that sailed Feb 24, 2018. We did St. Maarten, and hired a private driver/tour. I know for a fact that a few people did the zip line since they have posted pics since returning to the group's social media page. For our group the rum tour I believe was no longer an option that we could book. I don't know about the tall ship (I just can't remember). I will say that the options to book were far fewer than the options listed under the general info page on Disney's website.
Did you go to any beaches?

Got the email confirmation this morning. Am I reading the email correctly that we won't be able to book excursions until Friday, March 16th?

Am I reading the email correctly that we won't be able to book excursions until Friday, March 16th?

Correct, my e-mail said that booking opens on the 16th.

So after doing some research it looks like the best bet for my 8 year old will be a beach day. I wasn't thrilled with any of the options through Disney. I did find some really cool info on Mullet Bay beach. The reviews were great and the pictures were gorgeous but it's really bare bones. Restaurant was wiped out so it's portable potties, BBQ & drinks out of a cooler. It's also less than a mile from the famous airport beach, Maho Beach. People visit there to watch the planes come in DIRECTLY overhead. Looks like cab fare is $9 per person per way. Beaches are free but potentially topless.

Mullet Bay beach looks like our best bet too. We’ve got a 5 year old and a 9 month old and we’d like to be back on the boat to enjoy lunch. Our 5 year old also has a BBB pirate transformation early that afternoon, so none of the potential excursions work for us...interest OR time wise. Oh well.

We sail on 3/24 and I had the same concerns. Not a lot of options offered compared to what’s listed/advertised on the DCL site. Pretty disappointing. After researching options and getting advise here we are doing the Holland House Beach Hotel -2 chairs, 1 umbrella for $25.

We sail on 3/24 and I had the same concerns. Not a lot of options offered compared to what’s listed/advertised on the DCL site. Pretty disappointing. After researching options and getting advise here we are doing the Holland House Beach Hotel -2 chairs, 1 umbrella for $25.
What DCL options were actually offered? We are sailing in May and can book St. Maarten excursions on Friday, but not sure what will actually be available.

We are on the 4/21 Fantasy sailing and sailing concierge. In our email from concierge they mentioned the excursions that will be available for booking. Don't take this as final word but this is what was said in that email. My husband will be going scuba diving and the rest of us including a 2 year old an 7 will just explore.

Port Adventures in Philipsburg, St. Maarten:

• SM03 Golden Eagle Catamaran
  • SM05 Island Drive & Explorer Cruise
  • SM06 Under 2 Flags Island Tour
  • SM10 Sea and Sea Island tour
  • SM18 Rhino Rider and Snorkel
  • SM27 Seaworld Explorer Coral Reef Exploration Tour
  • SM39 Under 2 Flags Island Tour
  • SM31 Rib Boat Adventure
  • SM32 Sea Trek Helmet Dive - St Maarten
  • SM33 Kayak and Snorkeling Adventure
  • SM34 Historical Philipsburg by Bicycle
  • SM39 Under 2 Flags Island Tour (Adult Only)
  • SM44 Create Your Own Perfume/Cologne
  • SM47 Old Town, Fort Amsterdam & Bird Sanctuary by Trolley Train
  • SM48 Learn the Steel Pan
  • SM50 Aerial Explorer and 360 View Points
  • SM51 Aerial Explorer and Flying Dutch Man
  • SM53 Aerial Explorer, Flying Dutch Man, Schooner Ride and Zip Line
  • SM54 Aerial Explorer and Schooner Ride
  • SM55 Aerial Explorer and Sentry Hill Zip Line
  • SM56 Caribbean Beach Day
  • SM57 Two Nations Vacation
  • SM58 Two Tank Scuba
  • SM59 Distillery Tour, Rum Tasting and Beach
  • SM60 Discover Scuba
  • SM61 Rum and Reggae Cruise

I have no idea what to do while in Philipsburg, St. Maarten. I really don't want to do a beach day because that's what castaway key is for. Does any one know how far the shopping is from the disney ship?
It's basically behind the Great Bay boardwalk so you could walk there or take a water taxi, similar to the beach goers. It's got all the stores the onboard shopping shill talks about. Probably a couple of unique stores as well.

Bernard's Tours and Soualiga Destinations are two good options for non-DCL. Soualiga will offer both snorkeling and beach time.

Full dislcosure: I took a 10 and 7 year old on the Soualiga excursion. Both loved it. The 7 year old doesn't snorkel, but she liked the beaches, floating around not-snorkeling, the lizards, and watching the planes.

We were on the Fantasy March 10-17 with a stop there. It really should NOT be a cruise stop yet, there is still extensive damage. You can't just get off and walk around like in other ports, there is too much construction and chaos everywhere. I wish we had of just booked a beach day, I think that would have been the only good use of time...

Bernard's Tours and Soualiga Destinations are two good options for non-DCL. Soualiga will offer both snorkeling and beach time.

Full dislcosure: I took a 10 and 7 year old on the Soualiga excursion. Both loved it. The 7 year old doesn't snorkel, but she liked the beaches, floating around not-snorkeling, the lizards, and watching the planes.

We're on the 4/21 and doing the Soualiga excursion. I'm so glad to hear your kids loved it as mine are 9 and 11.

We're on the 4/21 and doing the Soualiga excursion. I'm so glad to hear your kids loved it as mine are 9 and 11.
Lunch is currently sandwiches, chips and fruit because of the destruction of the former eateries. And be aware this is a speedboat, not a gentle cat. If anyone is prone to motion sickness prep for that.

Couple pix:
zgeV7MW.jpg

IJt1iz8.jpg

Last edited:
Is st.maarten the place where the planes land really close to the ground over the beach? Does anyone know how far this is from the disneyport? If we took a taxi does anyone know how much they charge for a taxi? Also is a taxi the only way to get there? My wife really doesn't trust taxi's lol. She thinks we are going to get taken lol. She booked us for
Aerial Explorer and 360 View Points (SM50) has anyone done this before or heard if it was any good? It's touring a slaves home from the 1700's. Thanks

Is st.maarten the place where the planes land really close to the ground over the beach?

Yes.

It's a taxi ride, about $9 each. There's a bar nearby. The bus is also an option but has awkward schedules. It's not walkable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter