SSSSHHHHHHH!! Don't tell anyone! ;)

sheboz

Mouseketeer
After lurking on the camping board, I would like to announce that we are negotiating with the bank for the purchase of an RV!!!!!!!:hyper:
2004 Four Winds Hurricane (class A)with very very low miles. We have not told a soul including our kids!! This is so exciting!
Couple of questions for you:
Does the Fort ever offer discounts on sites? Maybe a certain percentage off like a discount on the rack?
Is it necessary to rent a golf cart?
We would be driving from Ontario Canada is there a specific time of the year that you love to camp at the Fort?
What is your favourite site or location?
TIA we'll keep you posted!

Woo Hoo! Welcome & congratulations!:goodvibes

We have gotten discounts, but they are very rare. Ours have all been Military discounts.

A golf cart is not necessary, but it is lots of fun. We've done it both ways...depending on the budget.;)

We love the Fort in the fall.

We've camped in lots of loops...from premier to full and they're all great. It just depends on what you're looking for. Some are right in the middle of the action and others are quieter and a bit more private. :thumbsup2

After lurking on the camping board, I would like to announce that we are negotiating with the bank for the purchase of an RV!!!!!!!:hyper:
2004 Four Winds Hurricane (class A)with very very low miles. We have not told a soul including our kids!! This is so exciting!
Does the Fort ever offer discounts on sites? Maybe a certain percentage off like a discount on the rack?
We would be driving from Ontario Canada is there a specific time of the year that you love to camp at the Fort?

Congratulations! I always wanted to drive down from Pittsburgh in an RV. Well, I always wanted to take an RV but have someone else drive! LOL.

Hope you have a blast with it.

sheboz,

Congrats on the new RV! :drive: I hope the deal works out for you.

The most common type of discount is probably a AAA (or maybe CAA in your case). Maybe one of our other north-of-the-border campers can tell us if CAA qualifies for AAA discounts. The number of sites eligible for the discount varies and sometimes only applies to a certain level of site (the Fort has 4 types of sites). Discounts, when available, range from 5% to 15% of rack rate. Discounts are mostly available during slack periods and your chances of getting a discount are better the earlier you book your reservation.

IMO golf carts aren't necessary. Will you be towing a car on your Class A that you can maybe bring bikes on a rack? They are an additional expense that I can't justify in my mind. If you get a site near your preferred location then you wouldn't need a cart (if you want to be near the Meadow Trading Post/Pool/Campfire for example, get a Premium site in the 1400, 600, 900, or 1000 loop. That area is very walkable.).

The nicest time to visit weather-wise is the spring and fall times. Any time in Spring after Easter and before early June works (before Easter is expensive - spring breakers and after mid-June the daily rains and heat settle in). In the fall any time early October to mid-December is good (Thanksgiving week and Halloween are croweded in that window). Weekends in these shoulder times fill up with locals so getting a ressie takes an early bird or booking long/dropping unwanted days.

Personally I like being near the center of the Fort where the Meadow TP/pool/campfire is so I request a loop # near it based on the type of site I'm willing to pay for.

Some folks like going at Halloween and mid-December to January 1 for the decorations. However, the mid-December to January 1 time is the most expensive time at the Fort each year.

Hope that helps.

Bama ED

PS-Of course, you need to a CAA/AAA member to receive a CAA/AAA discount.

Does the Fort ever offer discounts on sites?
. . . yes, but they are set discounts, not seasonal

Maybe a certain percentage off like a discount on the rack?
. . . AAA and AP rates are 10%-15%

. . . you need something
. . . you can bring your bikes
. . . if not, rent a cart
. . . the campground is HUGE and you will want to get around
. . . from the check-in to lake is 1-mile EXACTLY
. . . if your camp travels are limited, then you don't need the cart

. . . we like fall and winter
. . . Halloween and Christmas are great for site decorations
. . . and some people really go overboard
. . . you want to wonder around and see them all

What is your favorite site or location?
. . . don't really care when you have a cart

:welcome: and congratulations on the MH. We, too, have a Hurricane Class A (2010) and have been to the Fort a few times in it, as well as other places.
We usually get some type of discount if we keep trying. Haven't been able to get one for end of Nov. but did get 15% off for Apr. '13 (AAA)

No, it isn't necessary to rent a cart. We have been going for many years, and have yet to need a cart. It's more of "want" with most people, and a fun thing. The buses have been fine for us to get around, or we do enjoy walking, it's so beautiful and relaxing there.

We have camped at about every possible time. The heat doesn't bother us a lot as we are deep south southerners, as long as we have AC at night. We go in April for the F&G Festival, also late summer or late fall usually.

As far as camp sites go, we almost always stay in the 100-200 premium loops as we like to be close to the settlement, also they are the only (supposedly) pet free loops, and we do not travel with pets. All the sites are mostly nice though, so it's a personal preference.

The best of luck and pixiedust: to you!!

Congrats!! We have a 2005 Hurricane 30Q and love it! Our favorite time to camp at the Fort is Feb and March, though we will be there Thanksgiving 2013. We bring a golf cart. One of our favorite Fort activity is looping!!!

100-200 are not Premium site, they are preferred sites, with smaller concrete pads and some coquina (crushed shell to a sand-like consistancy) at the rear of each site. Good for staking tents and canopies, not good for tracking into RV. We rented carts so often we bought our own. It is a necessity for our wheelchair bound children..and for us as we age. You may want to rent from Disney for a day or so to tour the fort and see the decorations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!