SSR preferred vs standard

jbreen2010

Mouseketeer
This is my first time staying at SSR this week (new resale owner). We stayed in Congress park but had a room that looked at the bus stop. I’m thinking through my future stays and in my opinion the paddock area was a bit nicer than Congress park…just as close to a pool and that walkway down through the springs area seemed just as far to the main building. I would actually prefer that area next time and would pay the preferred points but I know that’s “standard”.

Long winded story short though…has Disney ever considered adding the paddock section to preferred and reshifting points around between standard and preferred? I get the whole closer to Disney springs thing…but with view not anything to write home about and walking a mile anyway to refill a drink, I am just wondering if there was any history in the preferred vs standard categories.

In Congress park its not about the view it about being close by DS and having less of a walk to DS. That is why they made Congress park a preferred building. Why did you walk a mile to get a refill. Just hop on a bus to get to the Carriage house. Park buses run counter clockwise and the DS bus run clockwise through the resort. You can get refills at the Paddock as well.

I'm sure all the buses at SSR run clockwise, pre COVID the DS bus did a double loop of the resort to allow guests to return to their original stop from the Carriage house facilities if required.

I book preferred now. It is certainly possible I like Disney Springs more than you do, but we took a quick jaunt over there, maybe a 5 minute walk, just to get a Dole Whip and brought it back to the room. I could not do that from the Paddock.

Some of the rooms have great views of Disney Springs across the water. I guess it's just worth it for me. That being said, I have stayed in the Paddock, and I liked it so much that it led me to buy DVC, so I definitely see the value. Once all the rooms are updated I guess it won't matter as much to me anymore.

I book preferred now. It is certainly possible I like Disney Springs more than you do, but we took a quick jaunt over there, maybe a 5 minute walk, just to get a Dole Whip and brought it back to the room. I could not do that from the Paddock.

Some of the rooms have great views of Disney Springs across the water. I guess it's just worth it for me. That being said, I have stayed in the Paddock, and I liked it so much that it led me to buy DVC, so I definitely see the value. Once all the rooms are updated I guess it won't matter as much to me anymore.
All rooms have been updated at SSR.

At one time, there were no views. But, Congress Park and the Springs were the most requested areas.

So, instead of dealing with all those requests, they decided it made sense to make preferred and standard view areas.

I honestly prefer the Paddock, rooms 6100-6800 (end closest to Congress Park). It's not that much further away from DS, but MUCH quieter with a ton less through-traffic. It reminds me of POR quite a bit. Little more of a walk to the Carriage House, but so is anywhere in Congress Park.

I appreciate the insight here from you all - still learning the ins and outs of my home resort. :)

I get it - everyone has their own reason for wanting to book in a specific area and this makes sense that many folks wanted to be closer to Disney springs.

for us it didn’t matter and I just jumped on the bandwagon thinking preferred category were better views or something. Lesson learned and I now better understand the categories.

SSR Owner here but never stayed at SSR. I’ve always planned to book preferred so we get a closer room to DS. I would book standard if Congress Park was guaranteed. It would be nice for DVC to add the category, like OKW near hospitality house.

SSR Owner here but never stayed at SSR. I’ve always planned to book preferred so we get a closer room to DS. I would book standard if Congress Park was guaranteed. It would be nice for DVC to add the category, like OKW near hospitality house.

Well, when you book preferred, you will get either Congress Park or the Springs.. which is close to the Carriage House which is like the OKW category.

So, you do have a 50% chance! I always book standard and request the Grandstand. It’s close to the Carriage House and the walkway to the west side of DS. So, it’s the best of all worlds for us!

Well, when you book preferred, you will get either Congress Park or the Springs.. which is close to the Carriage House which is like the OKW category.

So, you do have a 50% chance! I always book standard and request the Grandstand. It’s close to the Carriage House and the walkway to the west side of DS. So, it’s the best of all worlds for us!
You're right, should have said Paddock. I wish Paddock was a booking category. With my luck if I ever request it I would end up in The Carousel.

Last edited:
You're right, should have said Paddock. I wish Paddock was a booking category. With my luck if I ever request it I would end up in The Carousel.

Have to admit, a few times I did put “not Carousel” instead. Figure I’d be cool with Paddock or Grandstand…and of course, when I got there, I asked if we could be put in Grandstand and we were already slated for that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter