SSR - Dont go without a rental car

I thought the buses at SSR were great at Thanksgiving(maybe because we did Epcot & MK early in the week) but I would not try to get a bus from DTD back to SSR again(could have walked back faster than the wait and transit time even with 2 kids).

We are getting a car this year for the Turkey Day trip, not because we think we need one at SSR, but were going to go exploring Orlando, perhaps drive to the coast or do one of those "cheesy" dinner theater shows. :rolleyes1

Not to go OT, but just how big is SSR, compared to, say Caribbean Beach or one of the All Stars resorts?

A loop around Coronado Springs is 1 mile.
A loop around All Star Sports is .78 miles.
A loop around All Star Music is .76 miles.
A loop around All Star Movies is .78 miles.
A loop around Pop Century (west side) is .92 miles.
A loop around Caribbean Beach is 1.8 miles.
A loop around SSR is 1.9 miles.
A loop around OKW is 2.9 miles.
A loop around BWV is .5 miles.
A loop around BCV is .35 miles. (With SAB in loop is .57 miles.)
A loop around VWL is .45 miles (includes the Lodge common areas).

* Note: OKW comes out to be the longest because it has a lot of little cul de sacs and isn't a true central loop.

All resorts have a maximum of .25-.40 to the resort center.

What is the average time it takes for the bus ride to the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM and Animal Kingdom?

SSR to Magic Kingdom: 12 mins
SSR to EPCOT: 15 mins
SSR to MGM: 13 mins
SSR to Animal Kingdom: 22 mins

* According to OLP estimates

CBR to Magic Kingdom: 15 mins
CBR to EPCOT: 12 mins
CBR to MGM: 12 mins
CBR to Animal Kingdom: 23 mins

* According to OLP estimates

We always drive to WDW, so we always have a car at our disposal - but we HATE to use it. We really love to rely on the Disney transportation system, for us, it adds to the whole vacation experience.

We actually love SSR because iand find that it is SO convenient without a car. The factors that made it convenient for us are that it:
1. Is centrally located in regards to EPCOT/MK.
2. Is close to the DTD "hub" which makes resort-hopping a breeze.
3. Is a lovely, short boat-ride or walk away from DTD - which is typically the worst place to get to if you are relying on a Disney bus.
4. Does not share a bus with another resort - which seemed to cut down on the amount of time busses filled before they even arrived at our stop.

The only resort that I've ever been tempted to use the car in was VWL, and that was only because busses were filling up at FW before they even stopped at WL. The longest wait I've ever experienced was from the GF to DTD. Disney transportation is what it is, you have to accept it as what it is: public transportation. If waits of 20-30 minutes seem too long to you, or you have medical conditions that require hasty travel and/or make standing difficult - it's wise to rent a car no matter where you stay.

We were in bldg 48 at OKW and very glad to have a car. Actually, we had 2. It would have been a moderate inconvenience without one -- for getting stuff at the store we needed. We've stayed near HH without a car and did OK, but I just like having a car. Even at BWV I wouldn't have wanted to be there without a car.

Personally, I like having a car no matter where we stay, for shopping and resort hopping. When planning an event for a specific time, I would never "count on the WDW busses"...though we do use the bus system much of the time...there is no way to predict bus breakdowns or other delays. Most of the time the bus system is fine...but there have also been some "not so fine" times.

For something as important as wedding plans and parties, I would always plan on a car.

Basically at Disney if you need to be somewhere, as important as a wedding event, you need a car regardless of where you stay. There is no way I would recommend anyone trying to use "any" mass transportation for this.

LOL, guess I should have read Chuck's remarks first, as we usually think alike.

Not to go OT, but just how big is SSR, compared to, say Caribbean Beach or one of the All Stars resorts?

SSR is the second smallest Disney resort (only OKW is smaller).

We always drive to WDW, so we always have a car at our disposal - but we HATE to use it. We really love to rely on the Disney transportation system, for us, it adds to the whole vacation experience.

We actually love SSR because iand find that it is SO convenient without a car. The factors that made it convenient for us are that it:
1. Is centrally located in regards to EPCOT/MK.
2. Is close to the DTD "hub" which makes resort-hopping a breeze.
3. Is a lovely, short boat-ride or walk away from DTD - which is typically the worst place to get to if you are relying on a Disney bus.
4. Does not share a bus with another resort - which seemed to cut down on the amount of time busses filled before they even arrived at our stop.

The only resort that I've ever been tempted to use the car in was VWL, and that was only because busses were filling up at FW before they even stopped at WL. The longest wait I've ever experienced was from the GF to DTD. Disney transportation is what it is, you have to accept it as what it is: public transportation. If waits of 20-30 minutes seem too long to you, or you have medical conditions that require hasty travel and/or make standing difficult - it's wise to rent a car no matter where you stay.

I strongly agree, we love SSR for these same reasons.

Interestingly, it really is in the eye of the beholder.....one of the key vacation perks I enjoy at Disney is not having to drive. When I have a car I find I worry about the car, worry about getting to where I am going, worry about finding parking, worry about finding the car, worry about getting lost and on and on and on. I personally will never rent a car in WDW because just thinking about it increases my blood pressure LOL.

So - to each his own!

Sorry your trip went, well not good.

Personally I hate to use our vehicle when we are down there. We drive from MI and let me tell you, once we get out of our vehicle, I am not trying to get back in that thing until the day we leave.

I never worry about how long the bus takes because we take it easy and use that time to relax, plan our day or whatnot.

Hopefully your trip will go better.

We did use a car for some of our park visits last trip, just because we were trying to see if it would work better with my 2 year old nephew who just didn't enjoy waiting for a bus after fun time in the parks. I personally don't mind the buses, but I haven't had to wait an hour for any bus at any resort.

As for the pizza issue....Let me just say....Giordano's. :thumbsup2

The cabs were called by the Front desk manager and they still never showed up.

We were an hour and a half late after figuring the time spent on the bus and then getting off the bus and walking to Bongos. Our actual wait time at the bus stop was over an hour. And no we couldn't just walk, we needed to be close to transportation because of the mobility issues. That was why we called MS in the first place.

We did call maintenance for every issue, but they were very slow. And the point is - it's a new resort, so why so many problems?

If we had the rental car, I would have driven there myself when it became painfully obvious that the bus/cab was not coming for us. That's why the post is labeled as it is.

We all need to be honest here. Disney has had problems with transportation from this resort for some time. I read about it on these boards a while back, but as of late everyone has been sugar coating things a bit. That won't help Disney recognize the mistakes they are making and correct them, and won't help others plan accordingly. I truly felt that things had been corrected after reading the recent posts. If someone had posted about this recently, I would have rented the car.

Be Honest? :lmao: I'm certain your opinion is honest from your point of view.

You stay at BCV and VWL (based on your signature)often. These DVC resorts do not have a 3 bdrm villas, so I guess from your first post, stating you were trying to do something special for DD's wedding you had to go to SSR, BWV or OKW, and why you didn't stay at your normal home away from home resorts.

It really seems that your visit fell under a bad moon but that doesn't make SSR any more inferior than any other resort concerning transportation. You did have special reservations and events planned for your DD. You did know that there would be special concerns with your DH's health. With all those very important life changing events you felt no need to rent a car no matter what resort you could have stayed?

Opinion is all that your post is. Experiences that you and your beloveds incurred may have been stressful.

SSR is new ,FACT
SSR is falling apart, your opinion
SSR has bad transportation, your opinion
SSR buses are part of a new transportion
computer system Disney Wide, FACT

You could have planned better, My opinion
You did everything you could to enjoy a well planned trip, Your opinion

MY honest opinion is, we love SSR. We have never EVER experienced any such event that you have listed. An hour for a bus to DTD,does sound a bit odd, but you say it so I believe you.

Honesty. By the OP telling everyone to be honest, suggests that those who have not had your very unique experience, is basically calling those of us who don't subsribe to your opinion as being dishonest.

Would you have those of us who don't agree with you be considered liars?

~DW:3dglasses

No flames intended...

The cabs were called by the Front desk manager and they still never showed up.

But that's not a resort issue, right? They tried to help. What could they have done differently?

We did call maintenance for every issue, but they were very slow. And the point is - it's a new resort, so why so many problems?

The Congress Park rooms have been open for nearly 3 years now. I don't think it's unrealistic to think that equipment is going to fail over that period of time. Your room has been home to hundreds of guests since 2004.

We all need to be honest here. Disney has had problems with transportation from this resort for some time. I read about it on these boards a while back, but as of late everyone has been sugar coating things a bit. That won't help Disney recognize the mistakes they are making and correct them, and won't help others plan accordingly. I truly felt that things had been corrected after reading the recent posts. If someone had posted about this recently, I would have rented the car.

So let me make sure I understand this one. In your eyes, SSR bus service is and has always been bad, and you're mostly upset with the people here who mislead you by posting positive reviews?!?!

You are absolutely welcome to share your negative experiences but I think you're going a little far in implying that those who have posted about their good experiences were lying. :scared:

I happen to agree that SSR IS better experienced with a rental car...but then I make that same argument for just about every resort. I have to agree with most of the others...if being to certain places at certain times was that important, you should have rented a car. Getting to a bus stop 5-10 minutes before you need to be at your destination just doesn't cut it at WDW no matter where you stay.

Naturally, it was TOTALLY your fault that your room had any maintenance issues - I mean, what were YOU expecting? A room in perfect working order? I mean, c'mon! That is a totally UNREALISTIC expectation and you deserve to be disappointed for even thinking that such a room existed! How dare you expect a deluxe Disney Vacation Club resort to be in top notch shape. Geesh!!!

(hope you hear the heavy sarcasm in my voice ...)

MY honest opinion is, we love SSR. We have never EVER experienced any such event that you have listed. An hour for a bus to DTD,does sound a bit odd, but you say it so I believe you.

I would not be that surprised by a wait of an hour for a DTD bus. We've always had lots of trouble with DTD busses (waited over an hour for one from GF once) - because they usually stop a bunch of places (AK, Westside and Marketplace OR a waterpark, westside, and marketplace).

We like to resort-hop to dine and, pre-DVC, we heavily relied on taking busses to DTD and then connecting to our desired resort. I always left my home resort about 2 hours before my reservation. The DTD busses don't seem to travel with the urgency or demand of the park busses - once every 45 minutes to an hour seems like a pretty reliable estimate. Add to this the fact that the other resort busses stop somewhere else (like AK - 16 minutes there and back) and then go all over the world to get to DTD - instead of just going on the main road, it seemed like they detoured back past OKW/POR, down the back way, up behind and past SSR, and then onto DTD.

As I've said, I do :love: Disney transportation, but I do not love the busses to DTD. I think there is always the potential of guests abusing the bus system via. DTD to get out of paying for parking, so Disney made it as complicated and inconvenient as possible.

One of the things I like about OKW, and SSR (and POR) is that you can get to DTD without taking a bus. I am a huge DTD fan - it just does not feel like vacation without hanging out at DTD after the parks close. However, I would not necessarily want to rely on a Disney bus to DTD because the waits are so bad and the routes are so meandering. It's probably wise to either mentally prepare for a 1 - 1:30 minute trip (including waits and other stops) or take a cab or car to DTD if walking/baoting is not an option, no matter where you are staying.

"New" doesn't necessarily equal "quality". Not that I am saying SSR's construction isn't quality, but I have been wary of the quality of potential DVC construction in general with each consecutive phase of development. Just like when there is a home construction boom, quality seems to suffer as construction is rushed, corners are cut, and problems are overlooked because demand is there. I know I am suspicious of buying any home with a 1980's construction date for this reason!

But beyond that, any new construction goes through a "buggy" or "growing pains" phase where initial problems come up and issues are addressed. IMHO, a home, resort, whatever, doesn't hit a stride until it matures a few years and initial problems are identified and addressed.

We have visited SSR with and without a car, stopped getting one unless we plan on leaving WDW. We found we were paying for a car just to have it sit in the parking lot. We have never had any big problems with transportation at any resort, but the DTD bus is probably the least frequent during the day and seems to come more often at night, not a fact just my observation.
What were the cabs for? I would have had limo's waiting for the wedding party and family. Cab service at the parks and resorts is not good to say the least. If wanted cabs you should have called well in advance and given them a time that you wanted to be picked up, I'm sure the front desk could have arranged this. But to just call and expect them to get there fast and blame SSR because they did not is foolish.
Regardless where you stay in SSR you are about the same distance from a bus stop, Which mkes your room location less relevant than if say you wanted to be able to walk to the main pool. You should have gotten DH a scooter or wheel chair, all the resorts have long walks, some inside (BWV), some outside (SSR).
IMO since this was a "dream wedding" a lot more planning should have been done, with any wedding you plan every little detail and then expect them all to go wrong so you plan for that as well. Then you laugh about the stuff that goes completly haywire anyway and be glad you have more room in your house and one less mouth to feed.:wizard: Since your topic was about transportation I'll not get into the maintanence issues.

"New" doesn't necessarily equal "quality". Not that I am saying SSR's construction isn't quality, but I have been wary of the quality of potential DVC construction in general with each consecutive phase of development. Just like when there is a home construction boom, quality seems to suffer as construction is rushed, corners are cut, and problems are overlooked because demand is there. I know I am suspicious of buying any home with a 1980's construction date for this reason!

But beyond that, any new construction goes through a "buggy" or "growing pains" phase where initial problems come up and issues are addressed. IMHO, a home, resort, whatever, doesn't hit a stride until it matures a few years and initial problems are identified and addressed.

Like when all the sub-standard water pipes burst at BWV and they had to refurb several rooms because of water damage ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter