Spring Training?

bandjbaine

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
Hoping to get some insight on spring training. Anyone ever been? When does the schedule come out? What goes on during the games- anything different/exciting or Disney?

I can't answer most of your questions, but I know there are about 3 or 4 teams in the area. We didn't do Disney, but did go to a game on the far side of Kissimmee last spring. I think NY and Houston, but not sure. It was much more reasonablly priced that the Braves at WideWorld of Sports (I think that's the name) I suspect schedules won't come out for a few more months.

I've been before. I'm sure it can always be different but my experience is that it's crowded and expensive. I would recommend buying tickets directly when they go on sale. Braves play some popular teams like Yankees and Red Sox and it's very tough to get tickets for those games. Them last time I went they played the Mets and the game was sold out. Was lucky to get tickets to allow us to sit in the grass. Not bad seats because stadium is small but they aren't in the shade. There is only one bus stop to take you there and at that time it left from pop century. Traffic was bad that day and we left plenty early but were still late. It was fun, however and I'm hoping to go again this year. Schedule should come out after the baseball season.

We have been to a few games and I've bought great seats at WWOS through StubHub. The atmosphere at WWOS, however, IMHO is not very spring training-like compared with other ballparks. Getting in and out of the parking area took a really long time (would say we were in car crawling/standing still for at least an hour) and that was not really what we wanted to do with our time. There are no opportunities to watch batting practice or interact with the players. Prices for food and drinks were similar to regular MLB ballparks. If you are really dedicated, I would just drive to one of the many other ballparks in FL and go to a game there. There was nothing Disney about the experience except the wait in the car and the prices. ;)

we went March of 2013 for the first time and had a blast. The Braves were hosting the Phils (our home team). I did a mini trip report with photos linked to my signature if you are interested. I would love to go again!

This was great! Thanks!

Schedule came out in Dec. last year for spring training. Nationals are in Viera, about an hour away...easy drive. We are doing 1 week at Orange Lake in March so we can go to some Spring Training and then second week at OKW so we can enjoy some Disney. Cannot wait!!!
Last year we spent a long weekend in Cocoa Beach with some friends for spring training and had a blast!

Since your question references "Disney", I assume that you are only interested in attending Braves games at WWOS? If so, unfortunately I can't provide you with any advice, as I have never gone to one of their games.

I have gone to see the Astros in Kissimmee (not a great park, and the drive there took much longer than expected) and the Jays in Dunedin (again, the same comments on the park and the drive).

There are a number of teams that still have their spring training facilities in the area - Astros, Tigers, Yankees, Phillies, Jays - so if you have a car, you aren't limited to solely seeing the Braves.

A few years ago Disney was offering a "package" to either passholders or DVC (sorry, I cant remember which!). The package included tickets to the game, buffet in an air conditioned box and seats available right outside the box.

We had a good time but it was very crowded. I don't know if they do this every year.

Hey There!

WE have gone to Spring Training for the past 5 years and have always made WDW our base for travel all across Florida. our home team is the Nationals and they are in Viera, FL which is about 1.5 hours from WDW. They play in Pt. St. Lucie, Lakeland, Tampa and Orlando. So we just rent and car and spend the day watching baseball and then come back "home" at the end of the night.

We also sometimes spend a night at Vero Beach when the Nats play the Mets down in Port St. Lucie.

I am happy to share all knowledge we have about Spring Training, just send me a PM.

To answer your question about when the schedule comes out, it usually is not until November/December with some of the teams not having a complete schedule out until January.

There is a great website that gives you the up to date info. Just google "spring training online". Its a pretty good resource.

Jennifer

Hoping to get some insight on spring training. Anyone ever been? When does the schedule come out? What goes on during the games- anything different/exciting or Disney?

Was going to go but the team at disney charges so much to get in, its like 5 times the amount of any other team in the league. I realize its disney but man.

WE been to spring training twice. As others have stated The Braves tickets in WDW are very expensive as compared to other teams. The first year we stayed at AKL which is most westerly and easy exit off property since we were going to Sarasota for the Orioles and that took around 1.5 to 2 hr drive.
Start looking in Nov-Dec for tickets for your team..Springtrainingonline is a good info site. Also Stubhub prices start dropping the closer the game gets.

Schedule comes out in December.

Single game tickets go on sale in early January. The more popular teams (Yankees, Cardinals) sell out in a few minutes.

The last time we went, I scored seats on the second row at the end of the Braves dugout. We never sat in them. When we got there, DS wanted to sit on the grass berm on the third base side. Could have saved a lot of hassle and a little money if I would have known that.

I assume you are asking about the Braves spring training, but there are a lot of teams that train in Florida, and we go to spring training every March and combine it with one of our DVC trips. Since our team is in Ft. Myers, we spend a week at Disney and them drive down to Ft. Myers and fly home from there. We also have visited several of the other spring training cities to see games other than the Twins. Lots to do in Southern and Central Florida that is fun.

I went to the Braves Spring Training one weekend in 2012. I had a blast and saw them play the Mets and Yankees. As OP have said, the schedule is usually out in December and tickets go on sale shortly thereafter. The 2015 schedule isn't out yet, but I got my info on the schedule from the grapefruit league and ESPNWWOS websites when I went: http://www.springtrainingonline.com/features/master-schedule.htm

I bought my tickets online through WWOS(ticketmaster) when single tickets first became available and didn't have a problem getting great seats behind home plate. The mini plans are the first to come out and they do have special tickets for people who want special access before the game. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't think the prices were that high.

When I went in March, they had the Star Wars Disney characters on the field, bobble head races midway through, and trivia games with guests. They also had Star Wars characters in the vestibule area. I was so excited to get my picture taken with Darth Vader and the Storm Troopers.

We went to a spring training game in March 2013 at WWOS. It was Braves vs. Cardinals. We bought tickets through the WWOS website. There was nothing Disney about the game, but the stadium is very nice. We stayed for the entire game and at the end they let the kids run the bases. They also gave away leftover popcorn after the game. We had our own car and parking was ample, but I don't remember if they charged for parking.

The best advice I can give you is to keep an eye on the Atlanta Braves webpage since it their home park. Buy tickets as soon as they go on sale which is generally early to mid Jan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter