Spring Break Trip Ideas or Just Don’t

sk!mom

DIS Veteran
Looking for options and opinions. DH and I will be fully vaccinated by late January or early February (I’m getting my second dose 1/19. He gets his first tomorrow so second will be late Jan or early Feb depending on whether he is given Pfizer or Moderna.)

We have taken the pandemic very seriously. We last traveled last January, and although our state (Texas) has been mostly open, we have not eaten at restaurants, gone to bars, and even cancelled holidays with family. Mentioning that because if it doesn’t seem safe even though we’re vaccinated, I welcome those opinions too.

If we book a trip we’re looking to go somewhere not too cold that is mostly open with no travel restrictions. Cancelled trips in 2020 were Italy, Napa, and Key West.

Considering for Spring Break...
Key West- we’ve been before, loved it and want to go again. Know that it will be open since Florida has taken a pandemic less seriously than even Texas.

Nashville- never been but have 2020 traveling friends who’ve been recently so I know the state is open.

Washington DC- need to check on what is open. DH has been but I have not.

Would love somewhere in Europe or Maui but we are not interested in a limited experience or having to provide negative tests or quarantine.

Would love any suggestions and opinions. We’re torn so I won’t be insulted if you tell me to stay put a while longer either.

I love to travel and always rent timeshares. There are some amazing deals currently. We are traveling to Aruba for spring break for about half the cost we would typically travel there. Aruba is taking hte risk very seriuos and requires a negative COVID test to enter the country. I can't wait!!

if it doesn’t seem safe even though we’re vaccinated, I welcome those opinions too.
Even if you've both received both doses of vaccine, be aware that you can still get COVID, albeit a lighter case, and it's unclear at this time whether you'll be contagious if you do get it.

It's going to be months before any sense of "normal" life is going to return. Mostly due to how slowly the vaccine is being distributed, and the numbers of people saying "I'm going to wait and see if there are any problems with the vaccine before I get it." Plus it will take at least 2 weeks after your last dose for full protection for you.

We have a booked trip in April (moved from a canceled trip last March), and I'm hoping it gets canceled, also. Just because, I think any sort of springtime travel will be not so safe still.

Bahamas is open w/ a negative test, as is - I believe - The Caymans.
But, if you want to make it easy on yourself in terms of not dealing w/ travel requirements then I should think the Keys would make for a nice getaway.
Or the gulf coast of Florida.

I'm about 90 minutes west of DC. My recommendations is to stay away for the time being, we are still fairly restricted around here (again, not exactly on DC's doorstep but near enough to monitor what is going on). Plus spring break around here vary wildly with weather, if you come during a cold/rain streak that would limit your ability to comfortably walk around the city. Just my 2 cents!

My state has significant travel restrictions and I won't be vaccinated by the first school break (we get 2). My husband and I are staying in state for that one, since it's February, but we are going away (condo with full kitchen in case the restaurants are closed again). It's an area where there's lots to do. In April we are leaning towards Bar Harbor Maine/Acadia National Park since we are doubting travel restrictions for our state will be lifted by then, but NH does allow us to go to Maine. Needless to say, if I was vaccinated AND had no travel restrictions, I'd absolutely be planning to truly travel.

Given how seriously you have taken safety, I probably would look at southern national parks areas and rent a condo with a kitchen in case you find yourself uncomfortable with the local restaurants. Basically places where you can naturally social distance if you end up wanting to.

In the fall we rented a secluded beach house on VRBO and brought our own food. It was a nice break and quite safe since we didn't encounter anyone, Would something like this be possible?

Skip any plans for Europe. Travel within Europe for EU citizens is very limited at the moment and only a handful of 'safe' countries from outside the EU are allowed in. It's very unlikely that the EU will let in tourists from the US as long as the US doesn't have the Covid crisis under control. I do not expect this by Spring Break.

Looking for options and opinions. DH and I will be fully vaccinated by late January or early February (I’m getting my second dose 1/19. He gets his first tomorrow so second will be late Jan or early Feb depending on whether he is given Pfizer or Moderna.)

We have taken the pandemic very seriously. We last traveled last January, and although our state (Texas) has been mostly open, we have not eaten at restaurants, gone to bars, and even cancelled holidays with family. Mentioning that because if it doesn’t seem safe even though we’re vaccinated, I welcome those opinions too.

If we book a trip we’re looking to go somewhere not too cold that is mostly open with no travel restrictions. Cancelled trips in 2020 were Italy, Napa, and Key West.

Considering for Spring Break...
Key West- we’ve been before, loved it and want to go again. Know that it will be open since Florida has taken a pandemic less seriously than even Texas.

Nashville- never been but have 2020 traveling friends who’ve been recently so I know the state is open.

Washington DC- need to check on what is open. DH has been but I have not.

Would love somewhere in Europe or Maui but we are not interested in a limited experience or having to provide negative tests or quarantine.

Would love any suggestions and opinions. We’re torn so I won’t be insulted if you tell me to stay put a while longer either.
The lockdowns are crazy where I am so I am afraid I don't have much to offer. I did just spend a week at my parents' place up in the Gold Country in CA. That was secluded enough that it didn't matter. Something like that might work? Congrats on getting the vaccine!

Skip any plans for Europe. Travel within Europe for EU citizens is very limited at the moment and only a handful of 'safe' countries from outside the EU are allowed in. It's very unlikely that the EU will let in tourists from the US as long as the US doesn't have the Covid crisis under control. I do not expect this by Spring Break.

I realize that Europe is impossible for spring and likely a pipe dream for 2021.

i wouldn't consider traveling but i would suggest that anyone who is looks to the area they are thinking of and what they are projecting tourism wise for both spring and beyond. i think it's telling that despite our state and local businesses and business leaders screaming to accelerate reopening businesses that attract the tourism dollars that greatly feed our economy-it was just announced that one of our biggest yearly events that is held each june has already been cancelled in favor of a virtual version. it tells me that despite high hopes for the vaccine that the tourism powers that be are sufficiently concerned about the viability of hosting tourists.

Chiming in. It is possible to take the virus "seriously" and travel.

My last company went back into the office and traveling for work back in May. We had 2 total cases in the office of Covid, and not even work related, they weren't sick at work. I traveled to Florida and NC numerous times between May and October.
(I changed jobs at the end of September, to a company that remains work from home)

I just took stock of this year
  1. I left the house every single day. I can't stand staying here. I found reasons to get out every day.
  2. We eat at restaurants at a minimum once per week (once they opened back up in April).
  3. I meet friends for happy hour every couple weeks.
  4. We went to Florida 10 times in 2020. Eight on those were after May.
  5. We have been to the zoo, aquarium, six flags, etc... numerous times.
  6. Sports and scouts resumed in May, as well. We went on 6 campouts and/or trips.
  7. We visited family numerous times.
  8. We got out of town several times to visit the mountains, etc.

Not one single covid case. Can it happen? Yep. Can you live life and be safe? Yep.

If you don't like crowds, pick a place without crowds. Small cities in Florida, like Apalachicola, would love your business.
There are million places to see and you can be safe. Not sure where you live, but you might just start off with what is drivable, then pick a place you might never consider otherwise. We went to Wilmington, NC, just because... and loved it.

We went to the beach twice. Even at a beach where the news shows people elbow to elbow, the reality was there was nobody remotely close to us, and that bright, shiny orb in the sky kills covid instantly.

Kids wearing masks helps keep them from sneezing on people, sure, and it keeps them from touching their faces. Use hand sanitizer and wash hands whenever you need to do so. Keep your distance when it is possible. Just exercise common sense, and you'll be good to go.

It's not popular here, I get it, but people should know the virus isn't hiding at every corner waiting for you, and you can enjoy your life. If I am not comfortable with something, I avoid it. We went to a restaurant once early on that was jam-packed, with an hour plus wait... we opted to just get pickup that whole trip and the next, which was still great. Food you love at a place you love. Most restaurants we'd visit have it all figured out now.

Last edited:

My last company went back into the office and traveling for work back in May. We had 2 total cases in the office of Covid, and not even work related, they weren't sick at work. I traveled to Florida and NC numerous times between May and October.
(I changed jobs at the end of September, to a company that remains work from home)

1. I left the house every single day. I can't stand staying here. I found reasons to get out every day.
  2. We eat at restaurants at a minimum once per week (once they opened back up in April).
  6. Sports and scouts resumed in May, as well. We went on 6 campouts and/or trips.

Not one single covid case. Can it happen? Yep. Can you live life and be safe? Yep.

If you don't like crowds, pick a place without crowds. Small cities in Florida, like Apalachicola, would love your business.
There are million places to see and you can be safe. Not sure where you live, but you might just start off with what is drivable, then pick a place you might never consider otherwise. We went to Wilmington, NC, just because... and loved it.

We went to the beach twice. Even at a beach where the news shows people elbow to elbow, the reality was there was nobody remotely close to us, and that bright, shiny orb in the sky kills covid instantly.

Kids wearing masks helps keep them from sneezing on people, sure, and it keeps them from touching their faces. Use hand sanitizer and wash hands whenever you need to do so. Keep your distance when it is possible. Just exercise common sense, and you'll be good to go.

It's not popular here, I get it, but people should know the virus is hiding at every corner waiting for you, and you can enjoy your life. If I am not comfortable with something, I avoid it. We went to a restaurant once early on that was jam-packed, with an hour plus wait... we opted to just get pickup that whole trip and the next, which was still great. Food you love at a place you love. Most restaurants we'd visit have it all figured out now.
We have been doing the same! we have been to Disney 3x and will be back for July 4th week for 9 days. I would travel for work but my clients arent allowed to see me. We have played Travel baseball since May and just finished in November. only cases in out immediate family was due to my niece have some friends over and one idiot who didnt fell well and didnt stay home. Go have fun! but be safe and use common sense Cheers

Same with us. We have been to Disney twice already for 2.5 weeks. We have travelled to visit family in a neighboring state, and had all holidays as normal. We eat out in restaurants, shop at stores, etc. I go somewhere everyday also, and my husband goes to the office 3 days a week. Neither of us have caught the virus.

We just use caution - masks, hand sanitizer and social distancing. We just moved our May disney cruise to September, so we are looking at someplace to vacation in the next month or so. Key west is at the top of our list. Warm temps and sunny skies seem heavenly right now!

It's not popular here, I get it, but people should know the virus isn't hiding at every corner waiting for you, and you can enjoy your life. If I am not comfortable with something, I avoid it. We went to a restaurant once early on that was jam-packed, with an hour plus wait... we opted to just get pickup that whole trip and the next, which was still great. Food you love at a place you love. Most restaurants we'd visit have it all figured out now.
We have been doing the same! we have been to Disney 3x and will be back for July 4th week for 9 days. I would travel for work but my clients arent allowed to see me. We have played Travel baseball since May and just finished in November. only cases in out immediate family was due to my niece have some friends over and one idiot who didnt fell well and didnt stay home. Go have fun! but be safe and use common sense Cheers
Same with us. We have been to Disney twice already for 2.5 weeks. We have travelled to visit family in a neighboring state, and had all holidays as normal. We eat out in restaurants, shop at stores, etc. I go somewhere everyday also, and my husband goes to the office 3 days a week. Neither of us have caught the virus.

We just use caution - masks, hand sanitizer and social distancing. We just moved our May disney cruise to September, so we are looking at someplace to vacation in the next month or so. Key west is at the top of our list. Warm temps and sunny skies seem heavenly right now!

OK, the one thing I wasn’t looking for was people telling me that I should have been traveling all along. We have strictly avoided unmasked indoor gathering. DH has been back at work in person since mid May and me since August. We haven’t barricaded in our house. We’ve listened to doctors and science and taken recommended and now begged for precautions.

Happy for you that all has been well as you carried on. I have chosen a different path but thanks for your input that I should just get back out there. Duly noted.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count on much of anything being open in DC this spring. Right now, what is and is not open depends on the leadership of the particular state or city in question, and DC's leadership is in the camp of erring on the side of more closures rather than less. Plus with so many of the sites under federal jurisdiction, we may see additional closures of those indoor facilities even if the city order doesn't require it. I don't think we'll start to see those attitudes change until a significant portion of the country - I'd guess half or more - has been fully vaccinated. But you'd probably be fine with Nashville or Florida, both of which seem less inclined toward lockdowns.

We had hoped to go back to CA for spring break to visit DD, but I see almost no possibility that the area will be allowing tourism by then. So we're talking about places we might be able to meet up - DD flying in from San Fran and us from Detroit - for a trip together in a place that is more open, which right now depends heavily on the local political climate. So we're thinking maybe Arizona or Texas.

Even if you've both received both doses of vaccine, be aware that you can still get COVID, albeit a lighter case, and it's unclear at this time whether you'll be contagious if you do get it.
Yup, still gonna kill grandma.
I personally would not travel with my family for the unforeseeable future. We would be doing a lot of stuff and would need to be around a lot of people and we are responsible for each other being a family.

By myself is different as my travelling involves being on a bicycle around no one but the group I'm with, of which I am not responsible for them as I would be for my family. They can choose to travel or not. Family chooses together. All we would be doing is riding on bicycles except for lunch and the overnight accommodations, which often is alone in a tent in the woods. Very little interaction with other people, less than just going to work every day.

My opinion based on my own comfort level. Unless you are going some place where you can be isolated with minimal contact with others, I would skip it. Renting a beach house or cabin might be something I would feel safe doing. As far as any type of tourist destination where you want to see the local sights & do the local experiences I would skip until things are back to as normal as they can be. So Maybe Spring 2022.

I would do Key West. The beach, sun, more relaxing and it is Florida so less likely things will be closed.

I did Nashville in February and I’m on the east coast so I’ve done DC a few times. I loved both but they rely on things being open. Museums, venues, etc. With how things are going you never know what will be closed in the spring or what May get shut down at the last minute.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Last edited:
All we would be doing is riding on bicycles except for lunch and the overnight accommodations, which often is alone in a tent in the woods

these days with camping you have to make sure 'the woods' are open to the public. where i'm at they've closed or tremendously restricted private and public lands for any kind of overnight stays.

these days with camping you have to make sure 'the woods' are open to the public. where i'm at they've closed or tremendously restricted private and public lands for any kind of overnight stays.
Of course. You can't be a moron. You don't just hop on a bicycle and start riding 600 miles away from your home or car without a plan. Millions ride the same trails and routes every year, it's pretty well known where you can camp and where you can't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter