Spring break ideas to do with kids

wishesuponastar

DIS Veteran
Looking for your Budget ideas please.

The only thing I can come up with is bike riding and taking the kids shopping for t-shirts. Oh, we have off April 18th week and my kids are tweens.

here are some ideas:

* bowling
* library
* movies
* plan a garden/start seeds
* spring clean rooms and donate outgrown items
* day of baking

I have two teen/tweens and one 8 year old. So, far my plans for Spring Break include a living room campout; we will have hot dogs and pasta salad for dinner and makes S'mores in the microwave and sleep in the living room telling stories with flashlights and all that good stuff.

We will have a family Wii bowling tournament. The 8 year old is sure to kick everyone's butt in this. :laughing:

Family Game Night; we will play cards, charades, and/or some board games.

We will probably hit the "cheap show" you know, the theater in town that has movies a few weeks away from their DVD release. It's usually only a few bucks to go.

Maybe we will go to the community pool (indoor, this is Michigan after all) and let them exhaust themselves swimming.

Great thread. I'm still looking for a few ideas so I look forward to more responses.

oh, thought of a few more:

* painting pottery
* pick out a craft project at AC Moores or Michaels (w/coupon of course)
* check out a rock climbing or bounce house place

Do you have a GPS that you can enter coordinates into? If you do, then you could take them geocaching. We just recently got into geocaching and we LOVE it! You can read all about it here: www.geocaching.com. Its a great family thing to do together.

My DH is going to Europe on a school trip and the kids and I are staying home. We are planning on.......

Library visits (going to go to libraries around the county...not ours)
Pottery Shop to paint a plate for Gma
Making ice cream
Painting a bedroom (letting the kids paint the first coat...I'll do the second later)
Bought tote bags at Michaels that we are decorating for soccer equip...fabric markers, glitter markers etc.
Scrapbooking a few simple pages for Gma

I am looking forward to just being home and not rushing around!!!

We aren't able to travel, so to add a layer of excitement we are going to put our ideas on slips of paper and picking one each night.

So far we have:
local Mummy Museum
Movie Theater Day
trip to indoor pool(it's like a mini GWL for $4)
Craft Day(making T-shirts, suncatchers, etc)
Mall Madness(playplace,shopping for teens,pet store, Easter Bunny)
Train Trip(ride from one town to next on Amtrack- teens will pick us up and we'll go out for lunch)

Do any local hotels allow you to buy a day pass for their pool? We used to do this and for about $5 a person we would take the kids swimming for a few hours.

You could also do a lowball bid for a priceline hotel and have a cheap overnight mini-vacation and use their pools then.

Have a campfire cookout in the middle of the day? If you have a firepit. Invite the kids friends over and roast hot dogs and make s'mores. Kids will have a ball and your house will stay clean since it is outdoors!:rotfl:

Not sure where you are, but we are in MA. We like to pack up a do a "day at the beach" if the weather is nice. Pack a picnic lunch, extra sweatshirts, throw the kids in the car with some pails and shovels and frisbees and have a ball.
We are about an hour and a half from the beach, so it is a full day trip.

My tweens also like to get a group of friends together and head to the empty baseball field at the school. They invite a ton of kids ahead of time by sending out an invite for a certain time frame like 1 to 3. They divide up into teams and play a couple innings of baseball followed by a game of soccer. Bring a cooler of popsicles and the kids think it is a party. A couple parents supervise
so the rest can drop them off for a few hours.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.Have a great week!

I have two teen/tweens and one 8 year old. So, far my plans for Spring Break include a living room campout; we will have hot dogs and pasta salad for dinner and makes S'mores in the microwave and sleep in the living room telling stories with flashlights and all that good stuff.

We will have a family Wii bowling tournament. The 8 year old is sure to kick everyone's butt in this. :laughing:

Family Game Night; we will play cards, charades, and/or some board games.

We will probably hit the "cheap show" you know, the theater in town that has movies a few weeks away from their DVD release. It's usually only a few bucks to go.

Maybe we will go to the community pool (indoor, this is Michigan after all) and let them exhaust themselves swimming.

Great thread. I'm still looking for a few ideas so I look forward to more responses.

I see you're near Detroit! If this isn't your local pool it's worth the drive. And it looks like the price went up to $5.

http://wdiv.cityvoter.com/huron-valley-pools-and-fitness/biz/573552

I'm on the complete opposite side of town but that looks amazing! And for only $5? That's a steal!

There are two. One is in White Lake(Lakeland) and is Space themed. The other is in Milford and is the one pictured. And for the $5 you can pool hop! :rotfl2:
We go to the one in Milford and I can never get the kids out of the pool to go to Lakeland. The snake slide is dark and scary so it keeps my teen girls happy, and my 6 yo likes everything else.

Here's the spring break schedule:

http://huronvalleyrec.com/Default.aspx?id=32

Do you have a GPS that you can enter coordinates into? If you do, then you could take them geocaching. We just recently got into geocaching and we LOVE it! You can read all about it here: www.geocaching.com. Its a great family thing to do together.

if you don't have a GPS that can do this you can also try letterboxing. This webiste: www.letterboxing.org you can do a search to see if there are any in your area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter