Split Stay or One Resort?

PoppyJ

Mouseketeer
We just found out my brother in law will be in Florida in May and want to meet him at Disney World.

So far, I have been able to piece together:

Two nights at Polynesian standard studio
Two nights at Boardwalk pool/garden studio
One night at Grand Floridian standard studio

Alternatively, I could get all five nights at Saratoga Springs.

We are planning two park days, one beach day and one resort day.

We have not stayed at any of these resorts so I am excited to check them out.

I have wait-listed Boardwalk to replace the Grand Floridian.

Is it going to be too much of a hassle to move between three resorts? Should I just change to Saratoga so we don't have to move? Or are these resorts worth moving around?

If we do decide to move to Saratoga, are the buses that bad?

I like split stays, but with only 2 resorts. 2 switches in that short of a trip would be more hassle than I’d want to deal with. They make it pretty painless with moving your luggage for you but that’s way to much packing and unpacking for me. Haven’t stayed at SSR but I’m pretty sure I’d deal with the buses in your situation.

Also keep in mind on both days you switch, you’ll be “homeless” until your room is ready. That’s a big deal for some, no problem for others.

We have a rule where a split stay needs to have at least 5 nights at each resort. We don't like being without a room. Our summer stay is going to be 16 nights at RIV in a preferred studio. We could have split w/VGF, BLT, Poly, etc. but decided we'd rather have a home base.

I agree with @BamaGuy44 — too much packing and unpacking! The shortest we’ll do is 3 nights (in a 7-night stay), and that’s only when we’re out of points and kind of forced into it. I’d stay at SSR the whole time, in order to spend more time with my brother and less on the mechanics of moving.

I would continue to try and stalk the website to put together all 5 nights at one of the resorts you have booked. I just switched my stay from June to April for 5 nights and was able to piece together Riviera preferred first and then moved it to 3 nights Grand Floridian in a resort studio lagoon view and 2 nights Poly standard and then finally we are now all 5 nights in a lagoon view studio at the Grand Floridian. This took a little over a week. I saw lots of movement in Boardwalk pool/garden as well as poly studios both views and Animal Kingdom standard and savanna. I do a lot of stalking though so if you aren’t able to check the website a lot daily then this may not work as well for you.

We have done split stays quite a bit over the years (both before and after DVC purchases). But we normally stop at 2 resorts with at least 3-night stays. As noted, you will be “homeless” until the new room is ready, but that may not be a concern. We have found our luggage is usually available by 4:00, but that of course can vary. I don’t like “living out of a suitcase” and one-night stays pretty much assure you’d be doing that. Staying at one resort is my preference, but split stays do allow you to check out unfamiliar resorts for possible future stays. It can work well, but it’s not for everyone.

We just found out my brother in law will be in Florida in May and want to meet him at Disney World.

So far, I have been able to piece together:

Two nights at Polynesian standard studio
Two nights at Boardwalk pool/garden studio
One night at Grand Floridian standard studio

Alternatively, I could get all five nights at Saratoga Springs.

We are planning two park days, one beach day and one resort day.

We have not stayed at any of these resorts so I am excited to check them out.

I have wait-listed Boardwalk to replace the Grand Floridian.

Is it going to be too much of a hassle to move between three resorts? Should I just change to Saratoga so we don't have to move? Or are these resorts worth moving around?

If we do decide to move to Saratoga, are the buses that bad?
SSR Is our home resort & we love it...True it's a little different from most others, but thats the allure.
Me personally, at 1st I didn't want to S/S and just get settled into 1 resort. but as you can tell by my SIG. that has since changed. Like others have stated, I too would have to agree on this one, w/only a day at 1 place & 2 at the others, I'd settle into the 1 resort. Personally. Now 4 days or so, Maybe that would change... Resort time is so much fun, and by the time you even scratch the surfaces at those great resorts, it would be time to check out, & move on... That would bug me.:confused3. Either way enjoy your trip!!

BTW, Forgot to add. What section would you be looking to get into? Reg. or Preferred? This will have an impact on the bus situation question....But in a nut shell , the service is not as bad as it seems...

BTW, Forgot to add. What section would you be looking to get into? Reg. or Preferred? This will have an impact on the bus situation question....But in a nut shell , the service is not as bad as it seems...
I was thinking standard and request Grandstand so we could be near the first bus stop. But now my husband is making a big deal about being at Boardwalk so we can walk to Epcot and Hollywood, our favorite parks. So now I'm thinking maybe buy one time points so we can get a one bedroom at Boardwalk for 3 nights? So it would be 2 nights Polynesian / 3 nights Boardwalk...

Saratoga Grandstand. Busses are good. Easy back door walk to DS. Close to main building. Has it's own pool.

Waitlist for BWV and hope for the best.

I desire to stay happily married so one split stay was all I was allowed by the DW, and I've used that token already. She is right, our 5 nts trips are much more enjoyable staying at just one resort. Less hassle, stress and we get to really enjoy a resort to it;s full extent. Short split stays are not optimal for that immersive experiance.

In an interesting twist, last night I told my husband that my Disney board unanimously said a 3 resort split stay was a bad idea and suggested we switch to Saratoga. He insisted we keep it as is because he really wants to check out all these resorts. Especially Grand Floridian because "it looks like it's for kings and queens." 😂 We just bought DCV last year and have only stayed at Riviera and Animal Kingdom. I will still wait-list Boardwalk for the last night... Wish us luck!

In an interesting twist, last night I told my husband that my Disney board unanimously said a 3 resort split stay was a bad idea and suggested we switch to Saratoga. He insisted we keep it as is because he really wants to check out all these resorts. Especially Grand Floridian because "it looks like it's for kings and queens." 😂 We just bought DCV last year and have only stayed at Riviera and Animal Kingdom. I will still wait-list Boardwalk for the last night... Wish us luck!
Good luck with the WL!

And I hope that your DH is helpful with packing and moving - mine is, and he doesn’t like split stays either :p !

So, We've stayed Grandstand twice, Paddock once & Springs once. https://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/saratoga.htm So our 1st time was the absolute best spot IMHO, Bldg.8501 in the middle facing golf course. So close to main area. 1st p.u for buses, and better yet 1st drop off... Our 2nd trip was also in Grandstand, but in bldg.9501 in the furthest corner facing the golf course. Only good thing here was SUPER close to bus stop. Thats it... Our 3rd was in Paddock, and that was a lil better than the 2nd. bldg 5101 in the corner near the 1st 5... not too bad. Our last was incredible, bldg 4101. and we had the 2nd floor 3 closest rooms to the corner near the bus stop.... The only drawback was that sometimes the buses came around full, so waiting on 2 or 3 mornings was annoying.... But the pros far exceeded con...

If you’re able to I would check the site a couple times a day for your room.... or in my case 30-50 times a day :laughing: I swear I don’t have a problem. Since you said you’re new I am guessing you might not know the waitlist isn’t automatic, people have a lot of theories as to how it works but none of us really know lol. What I do know is I have many times grabbed the room myself from searching before my waitlist comes through. I have actually probably only had 1 or 2 successful waitlists.

I love doing a MK and Epcot resort split stay and schedule my park days accordingly. I guess it depends on your packing style… I do carry on only and live out of my suitcase, so it’s not a big deal for me to pack up.

There are a lot of Boardwalk P&G rooms so you have a good chance of getting a waitlist to replace the one night GF room.

Your DH is aware that you can visit these resorts outside of staying there right? With such limited time your experience isn't going to vary much than resort hopping - especially for one night at GF.

We've done a triple split before but it was 5, 5 and 2 - never again. The kids and I got away with having split stays for several trips much to my wife's complaints in order to explore resorts. I'm now in the no split category as it's just so much more enjoyable to establish your base camp and keep it for the duration. We will still get to most resorts even when not staying at them, except WL for some reason.

The BW area is pretty great though, our home is BC but we love staying Poly too.

So, We've stayed Grandstand twice, Paddock once & Springs once. https://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/saratoga.htm So our 1st time was the absolute best spot IMHO, Bldg.8501 in the middle facing golf course. So close to main area. 1st p.u for buses, and better yet 1st drop off... Our 2nd trip was also in Grandstand, but in bldg.9501 in the furthest corner facing the golf course. Only good thing here was SUPER close to bus stop. Thats it... Our 3rd was in Paddock, and that was a lil better than the 2nd. bldg 5101 in the corner near the 1st 5... not too bad. Our last was incredible, bldg 4101. and we had the 2nd floor 3 closest rooms to the corner near the bus stop.... The only drawback was that sometimes the buses came around full, so waiting on 2 or 3 mornings was annoying.... But the pros far exceeded con...
I would like to stay at Saratoga down the road when we want to relax and go to Disney Springs. We are still newbies so super park focused!

If you’re able to I would check the site a couple times a day for your room.... or in my case 30-50 times a day :laughing: I swear I don’t have a problem. Since you said you’re new I am guessing you might not know the waitlist isn’t automatic, people have a lot of theories as to how it works but none of us really know lol. What I do know is I have many times grabbed the room myself from searching before my waitlist comes through. I have actually probably only had 1 or 2 successful waitlists.
I will do that, thank you! It's like trying to get dining reservations all over again...

I love doing a MK and Epcot resort split stay and schedule my park days accordingly. I guess it depends on your packing style… I do carry on only and live out of my suitcase, so it’s not a big deal for me to pack up.

There are a lot of Boardwalk P&G rooms so you have a good chance of getting a waitlist to replace the one night GF room.
Part of the reason we decided to meet my brother in law at Disney is because we found flights for $58. It's Frontier though and we are just doing the personal item so not planning on bringing much, which I think will make living out of our bag easier... Hopefully...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter