Split Stay & Magicbands

Drewmama

Mouseketeer
I'm checking into AKL for one night, 6/21, then checking into Poly for 2 nights. I haven't figured out how to decline the 2nd set of magic bands so it looks like I will be receiving 2 sets. I don't plan to go to the parks until 6/22. Do I link my ticket to the AKL band or the Poly band? TIA!

I'm checking into AKL for one night, 6/21, then checking into Poly for 2 nights. I haven't figured out how to decline the 2nd set of magic bands so it looks like I will be receiving 2 sets. I don't plan to go to the parks until 6/22. Do I link my ticket to the AKL band or the Poly band? TIA!
Both your bands will be linked to the same MDE account. Technically, band is not linked to any tickets, but to the MDE account.

Both your bands will be linked to the same MDE account. Technically, band is not linked to any tickets, but to the MDE account.

Thank you! It's our 1st trip as DVC members. Learning new things all the time on this forum. So it doesn't matter which bands we wear then since both stays will be in my MDE?

Keep in mind that you need to check out of AKV before checking in at the Poly. Split stays can sometimes cause room access issues if the old resort doesn't check you out completely.

:earsboy: Bill

It's a check box to decline when you go in to set up the Magic Bands.

Since you have 2 reservations, I don't think that Disney's software understands that and it has issues making 2 back to back reservations work as well as they could.

Keep in mind that you need to check out of AKV before checking in at the Poly. Split stays can sometimes cause room access issues if the old resort doesn't check you out completely.

That's not been my experience. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to check out, but we have gotten room ready texts for our next resort far earlier than check out time at our current resort. And we never have 'checked out'.

That's not been my experience. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to check out, but we have gotten room ready texts for our next resort far earlier than check out time at our current resort. And we never have 'checked out'.

Early last year we were sent to our room at BWV 3 times trying to get in, eventually a 45 min wait at the front desk talking to tech support and they forced our check out from VGF. In December I went to the front desk to check out before moving and was told that it was a smart thing to do.

It may be different now but that has been our experience.

Just be careful if you are using the magic band to charge to your room. We had a problem were we'd checked out but hadn't yet checked in to spot #2 - didn't realize it was an issue until we went to pay for lunch and the magic band didn't work. Didn't have a credit card with us and not enough cash - after a few phone calls it was straightened out but it took time that could have been better spent.

What about if staying at the same resort with 2 separate reservations?
Ex: Staying 8 nights in AKL
Nights 1, 2 & 3 are in a 1BR STD room
Nights 4,5,6,7 & 8 are 1BR Club level

Do you think they will get screwed up?

Don't know but at least you are at the same resort if anything goes wrong.

Early last year we were sent to our room at BWV 3 times trying to get in, eventually a 45 min wait at the front desk talking to tech support and they forced our check out from VGF. In December I went to the front desk to check out before moving and was told that it was a smart thing to do.

I know that walk well. Usually someone finally takes pity on me or I just become very insistent that they walk along and share in the fun. BWV has something wrong with their process.

Oh yes, definitely a good chance. AKV is the other location I've gotten some extra steps trying to get into a different room.

What you have experienced is definitely not what I have.

Okay, well just to report back. Today I got my room ready text at 9:50am. Definitely hadn't even left our SSR room yet, didn't check out, I'm now happily in our new room at 10:02am at Pop. No problems. Everything worked just fine.

Also got breakfast at the insanely crazy food court and magic bands worked just fine.

Also also Uber is perfect for changing resorts.

Last edited:

Do you end up at the second resort before or after checkout time?

BE had had issues if we didn't do the checkout process at resort A bit show up at B (BW) before official checkout time. They either needed ages to force the checkout or they sent us off to play. We chose the play option.

Same question; were you at resort B before official checkout time?

Definitely hadn't even left our SSR room yet, didn't check out, I'm now happily in our new room at 10:02am at Pop. No problems. Everything worked just fine.

And look at you, at resort B before checkout time and without officially checking out, and it worked.

I'm noticing the problem resorts I see mentioned so often with this issue (Akl and Bw) weren't involved...

I have gone from BWV to VGF and got the room ready text before the check out time. My DS & DIL went over and they did have to reprogram their bands for the new room. They were still for the old BWV room. However, I was still at BWV and had no issue continuing to use my band.

Do you end up at the second resort before or after checkout time?

BE had had issues if we didn't do the checkout process at resort A bit show up at B (BW) before official checkout time. They either needed ages to force the checkout or they sent us off to play. We chose the play option.

Same question; were you at resort B before official checkout time?

And look at you, at resort B before checkout time and without officially checking out, and it worked.

I'm noticing the problem resorts I see mentioned so often with this issue (Akl and Bw) weren't involved...

No we left VGF at 11 and bused over to BWV via DHS so it was after 12 when we checked in.

Okay, well just to report back. Today I got my room ready text at 9:50am. Definitely hadn't even left our SSR room yet, didn't check out, I'm now happily in our new room at 10:02am at Pop. No problems. Everything worked just fine.

Also got breakfast at the insanely crazy food court and magic bands worked just fine.

Also also Uber is perfect for changing resorts.

What's hard to say is which room the food court charges went to. :) And things can seem fine until you hit midnight tonight. Here's hoping that it all goes well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter