Splash/Snow White Refurb. in Jan/Feb....

We're going Jan 12-19, and my DD5 was really excited about riding Splash for the first time. Now we have to break the bad news.:furious:

So I hope this means the rumored closure of Space Mountain won't be at the same time. Seems crazy to close two of the mountains at once. BTMR would be REALLY crowded...

I'll join you in hoping the same. Splash is DS's favourite ride, so I'm sure he'll be disappointed, but we rode it 3 times in August so at least it hasn't been years. :goodvibes I'll be really bummed if they close Space at the same time, though. Having both our favourite MK rides closed at the same time would really stink! :sad2:

Oh well, at least Haunted Mansion will be open for this trip. We really missed that one in August!

I am so bummed about this! Splash is my favorite ride and we will be there for 3 days (before and after a cruise)...we have APs to Disneyland Paris but they don't have Splash so I was really looking forward to going on it....I guess I will just HAVE to plan my next trip!

:rolleyes1

That stinks my DD4 is finally 41 inches tall so she could do it. She will be very upset that the Zip a De Do Da ride will be closed for her Jan 08 trip, she will ahve to wait till Dec 08 for that 1

Splash has been in need of a refurb for a while, glad to see they're being serious about it this time.

That's a huge understatement. On our recent trip, we were really bummed about Splash because it had fallen so far into disrepair. There were numerous animatronics that weren't working (not moving, not singing, or both), Brer Rabbit's ear was nearly falling off in one scene :eek: literally hanging by a thread, paint chips everywhere. It actually was pretty depressing. We still rode it a number of times, as it's one of our favorites, but we closed our eyes in the rooms that needed refurbishment. We often will ride Splash as our last ride before going home, but this time, DH didn't want to. It was "too sad."

So, as much of a bummer it will be for those of you going to WDW in January and February... know that this is truly needed. :sad2:

Splash is one of our favourite rides as well; however, I am going in Jan. and to me this seems like the best time for Disney to refurb. this ride as the weather is unpredictable and it is a wet ride. I will mention to the kids that the ride will be closed but I will also tell them about all the other rides we will enjoy...there is too much at Disneyworld for me to be too upset about a few rides closed!

I just read that on Touring Plans website. I am really really glad we'll be there December 27th, so at least one of our days at MK we'll be able to ride Splash (unless they end up closing it early).

Splash is one of our favorites too. It does really need work tho! When we were there in August, it seemed to really be in need of repair. Just wondering if anyone noticed that the padded area on the 'boats' looked all spotty on top, like, kind of moldy? I was trying to figure out if it was mold, or if maybe the chlorine/chemicals in the water that splash on it all day just started to eat away the material? Either way, my 7 y/o daughter and I were like, Ewwww!!! (we still went on about 10 times tho!)

Splash is one of our favorites too. It does really need work tho! When we were there in August, it seemed to really be in need of repair. Just wondering if anyone noticed that the padded area on the 'boats' looked all spotty on top, like, kind of moldy? I was trying to figure out if it was mold, or if maybe the chlorine/chemicals in the water that splash on it all day just started to eat away the material? Either way, my 7 y/o daughter and I were like, Ewwww!!! (we still went on about 10 times tho!)

I did notice that, and it really yucked me out. I lost my balance for a second while getting into a log one day, and as I caught myself on the padded area, some of the "gunk" ended up under my fingernail. :scared: I was so surprised to see that -- you'd think the boats would at least get cleaned on a regular basis.

DANG!! It is 2 of my kids absolute favorite, and my DS who was scared last year (is home sick today) is watching undiscovered WDW right now and what is on? Splash Mountain. He's all smiles saying how he can't wait to ride it. He is Special Needs, so this was a HUGE deal for him. Literally, this is all they talk about. I know it's just a ride, but I am very disappointed.

Do the rides every open back up early? We are there until the Feb 9th.

I was there last Jan. and Splash Mountain was closed. I figured it wouldnt be closed the same time two years in a row....:mad: Lets just hope that RNR will be open this time

We're going Jan 12-19, and my DD5 was really excited about riding Splash for the first time. Now we have to break the bad news.:furious:

So I hope this means the rumored closure of Space Mountain won't be at the same time. Seems crazy to close two of the mountains at once. BTMR would be REALLY crowded...

That's exactly what I fear. :scared1: One being closed I can understand and deal with -two, not so much. Stranger things have happened, but surely they wouldn't close Space and Splash at the same time. We aren't for sure yet about going in January, but that sure would stink for us and anyone else planning a January trip. :sad1:

It looks like Splash is being put on an unofficial 11 month running schedule, which probably makes good sense. They pick the coolest and arguably slowest month of the year to refurb it so it's spiffy for the other 11 months. I actually see how that makes sense, just so long as we see the fruits of a well-run Splash Mountain February thru December.

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO MY DH & DD will be crushed! Splash is a must do and a do over!!!!!! Bummer:sad2:

So, if splash is in such a state of disrepair, what did they do this past january in terms of refurbishment?

This is the second year in a row we will miss it.

What did they do last year in January for almost 4 weeks is my question also. Did they just paint it? Why would'nt they just have gone ahead last year and keep it down for the time required to do a proper rehab? According to people on these boards, Splash was dirty (both logs, characeters, etc). in the Spring and early Summer. People say it has mechanical problems all the time. Why not just fix it in one big refurb and then periodically do small cleaning refurbs more often than once a year so all the dirt/etc. doesn't build up so bad?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter