Spirit of Aloha, well that sucks!

rcraw45425

<font color=darkorchid>I'm a 43 year old mom with
Hubby and I had a good meal at SOA in early October, decided that it's a must do when we take our girls in January. Imagine my disappointment to read that the menu has changed. New menu is:

MENU October 30 - December 1, 2012
Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show features an all-you-care-to-enjoy feast including:

Appetizers
Pineapple-Coconut Bread
Asian Apple Pear Slaw
Hawaiian Potato Salad

Main Course
Island Pork Loin
Roasted Chicken
Polynesian Rice
Fall Harvest Vegetable Medley

Dessert
Milk Chocolate Macadamia Nut Mousse

Complimentary Beverages Include:
Budweiser or Bud Light Draft Beer
Concha Y Toro Frontera Chardonnay, Merlot, or Rosé
Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, Pink Lemonade, Coffee, Hot or Iced Tea, or Milk

Na Keiki (Child's) Menu
Macaroni and Cheese
Hot Dog
Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich

For our Guests with food allergies or other health-related dietary restrictions, we are happy to discuss and attempt to accommodate your special dietary requests.

An 18% Gratuity and applicable Sales Tax will be added to all orders.

To me the salad and the ribs were the best thing about the old menu!

We canceled our Whispering Canyon reservation for February after the menu change there as well. It seems that all of Disney is getting more into the Mess Hall mentality instead of the individualized service we old timers are used too.

We ate the new menu 1st November. I only realised it had changed when we got pork not ribs.

Food was fine - i'd read reports of terrible/inedible - it was fine nothing great but we all found something to eat. They brought DD 2 hot dogs - they offered her hot dog or mac n cheese.

We are planning a visit for the first of January after we came home raving about the show and the food. We has salad with a vinagraitte, ribs and rotisserie type chicken with rice and veggies. Younger daughter is a 15 year old picky eater, no ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc. she loves ribs at Disney, devoured them at Cape May, which also deleted them. The salad is similar to 'Ohana so perfect. Pork loin tends to dry out quickly and she won't touch potato salad. We're planning on an extra teen, after this change I may wind up with QS DDP! At least she could get ribs at Cosmic Rays and Flame Tree!

How odd ... this is so not Hawaiian its not even funny. Hawaiians don't eat "potato salad", its always macaroni salad, with the occasional potato-mac, emphasis on the mac and mayo.

Pork loin? Should be pulled or kalua pork. Polynesian rice I hope means sticky rice. And nobody eats pineapple-coconut bread. Banana bread, yes.

Sigh. I guess there's a reason I don't eat "Hawaiian food" when I'm not home. Sorry about the rant.

Skip Spirit of Aloha and plan a trip to Aulani in the near future ... ;)

Post script - This also sounds very similar to what they have done to the Whispering Canyon Cafe menu, which has been reduced greatly, but we're still hoping will be okay.

How odd ... this is so not Hawaiian its not even funny. Hawaiians don't eat "potato salad", its always macaroni salad, with the occasional potato-mac, emphasis on the mac and mayo.

Pork loin? Should be pulled or kalua pork. Polynesian rice I hope means sticky rice. And nobody eats pineapple-coconut bread. Banana bread, yes.

Sigh. I guess there's a reason I don't eat "Hawaiian food" when I'm not home. Sorry about the rant.

Skip Spirit of Aloha and plan a trip to Aulani in the near future ... ;)

Post script - This also sounds very similar to what they have done to the Whispering Canyon Cafe menu, which has been reduced greatly, but we're still hoping will be okay.

nothing sticky about that rice, think stir fried Uncle Bens. The ribs were good. I know not traditional Hawaiian but fall off the bone tender. The salad they had was so good I asked for another platter of it. I was told by someone that the potato salad has macadamia nuts in it.... ;)

when it was an authentic Polynesian feast and despite the fact that I had never tried many of the dishes (like poi) I still loved the experience and the food and adult beverages were definitely Polynesian in nature. I remember scorpions, mai tais, stingers and Seven Seas cocktails to name a few and they were all delicious. NO BEER!

just my two cents!

Is this ONLY until December 1st?
We have ressies for the 12th and would prefer the old menu as well...

when it was an authentic Polynesian feast and despite the fact that I had never tried many of the dishes (like poi) I still loved the experience and the food and adult beverages were definitely Polynesian in nature. I remember scorpions, mai tais, stingers and Seven Seas cocktails to name a few and they were all delicious. NO BEER!

just my two cents!

Yes! Back when we went early 90's I forget exactly what year the menu was very much a authentic Hawaiian fare and we were the same as pp tried new foods and drinks the Mai tais were great! I wish Disney would return to the really "old" menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter