• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Spin-Off With a Poll: Would You Ever Knock on a Stranger's Door?

Would You Seek Help at a Stranger's Home

• Yes - In an emergency.

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • No - I would be afraid to.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • No - I wouldn't expect a stranger to open the door.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Yes - I would in an emergency but no, I wouldn't answer my door for anyone.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • No - I the people in the home could be dangerous.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

ronandannette

I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!
I'm a little startled to hear how very, very few posters here would open their door (for any reason) if someone they didn't know rang the bell. It begs the question - would you, under any desperate circumstances, ever approach a stranger's house for help? Especially in light of most people here implying they wouldn't answer?

I would certainly look for help anywhere I could find it, if I was in an emergency.

I would if I was in serious danger. In the other thread, I responded that I wouldn't open the door for someone that needed to use the bathroom but if someone truly needed help I would. There are some scary people out there so you do have to be careful as to who you let into your home.

Fascinating poll results so far! I've added another choice and you can come back and change your vote if it applies to you.

I would if I was in serious danger. In the other thread, I responded that I wouldn't open the door for someone that needed to use the bathroom but if someone truly needed help I would. There are some scary people out there so you do have to be careful as to who you let into your home.
How do you know what they want or need until you answer the door? :confused3

How do you know what they want or need until you answer the door? :confused3
There's a big window by the front door of my house so I can see who's at the door before I open it. If it's a kid, then yeah I'll open the door and see if they need help. I live at the end of a cul de sac so the person that needed help would have to pass by 4 houses before getting to mine.

It would depend where I was and what time of day it was. Despite the stereotype of country people being more friendly, I'd be afraid to approach a house if I were broke down in the country around my town because of how many people are trigger happy and perpetually scared. Especially if it were after dark. Which is unfortunate because that's really the only situation where I could see a need to do so, given how unreliable cell service can be in more rural areas. I can't envision a situation in which I'd approach a random house in town rather than going to a business or simply calling for help from my cell, but I'd be much more comfortable doing so than I would with knocking on a random door out in the country.

It would depend where I was and what time of day it was. Despite the stereotype of country people being more friendly, I'd be afraid to approach a house if I were broke down in the country around my town because of how many people are trigger happy and perpetually scared. Especially if it were after dark. Which is unfortunate because that's really the only situation where I could see a need to do so, given how unreliable cell service can be in more rural areas. I can't envision a situation in which I'd approach a random house in town rather than going to a business or simply calling for help from my cell, but I'd be much more comfortable doing so than I would with knocking on a random door out in the country.
:scratchin It didn't occur to me to put a choice in where a person would be scared to approach a stranger's home for help, for fear that the people there might be dangerous.

ETA: Ooops - I guess I did already have a poll choice that would apply. :o

Last edited:
I was walking our dog a couple of winters ago and was suddenly caught in an unexpected, blinding, freezing cold snow squall. I came fairly close to knocking on the door of the house I was near and asking for shelter but the squall went away as suddenly as it had arrived.

I chose no- I really can’t envision a scenario in which I would be in that much danger/need and also not have my cellphone that I would have to knock on a strangers door. If it did come to that then I would probably just be asking them to make a call for me while I waited outside - I would not feel safe or comfortable to go in a stranger’s house. I’ve seen too many horror movies and true crime to do that, especially if I was by myself.

Yes, I would.

Years ago, one of my kids was injured riding their bike on a local bike/hike trail. They were with a sibling and a cousin, injured, but not seriously injured - broken nose) and were able to call me and we handled the situation. But, when talking about it afterward, they mentioned a house a few hundred feet away through the trees and that they debated going there for help. I told them they did fine; and, waiting for help was fine in the circumstance they were in.... but had the situation been different (uncontrollable bleeding, head injury and non-responsive, whatever), that they should get help wherever they can. The likelihood they are going to pick the home of a serial killer out of all the homes in the world is unlikely... and when you need help NOW, you need to take it from wherever you can get it. I refuse to live in fear. I believe that the vast majority of people in the world would do the right thing and help someone in an emergency.

One thing that is true about this question is that in this day-and-age of cell phone access, it’s mostly hypothetical, but then again, so is the bathroom one. Really, what’s the likelihood of that happening? Of course it’s meant to evoke thoughts of how we would expect ourselves to react to the given scenario and why, more than anything else.

I had to once many years ago before I had a cell phone. I was on my way home from a part time job, it was around midnight, 14 degrees outside & my car broke down just a couple miles from home. Rural area so I had to walk a bit to where I could see a few houses. One of the houses was all lit up & I saw an elderly man walk out to the car port so I walked up and asked to use their phone to call my husband. He and his wife were kinda shocked to see someone out that late on a freezing night but they let me use the phone so turned out well.

I voted yes as I would and have knocked on strangers doors. However, no emergency required. I live in an urban area with a strong sense of neighborhood and community and I would not hesitate to knock on someone’s door. I also answer the door for just about anyone. I point to the mezuzah and tell the religious people to politely take a hike.

I answer yes in an emergency but I don’t open my door. However, if a woman was banging on my door in obvious distress I would likely open the door. Not sure if I would it were a man.

I'm a little startled to hear how very, very few posters here would open their door (for any reason) if someone they didn't know rang the bell. It begs the question - would you, under any desperate circumstances, ever approach a stranger's house for help? Especially in light of most people here implying they wouldn't answer?

I would certainly look for help anywhere I could find it, if I was in an emergency.
Of course if it was an emergency...I think most would try whatever they could. Obviously that doesn't mean I could make the person in the other side of the door answer though.

I don’t answer my door for anyone I’m not expecting. I say it’s for safety, which it technically is, but truthfully I just don’t want to deal with whatever they’re trying to sell or whichever candidate they’re trying to promote.

Whether I would knock on a stranger’s door depends on the situation. (And I’ll also say that I have the benefit of looking like a non-threatening, middle-aged white woman, usually with small kids in tow. I realize others will be perceived differently for their appearances and what may be a reasonably safe situation for me may not be for them.)

I’ve knocked on neighbor’s doors before, even if I don’t know them, to give them mail or packages that have been misdelivered. I’ve gone door-to-door in a foreign country where I didn’t speak the language looking for help after being stranded. I’m sure there have been other situations I’m forgetting.

I will say though, it’s not something I would do anymore without giving it some thought first. I think the increased use of cell phones along with a society that is… I don’t know, becoming grumpier? more distrustful? means people tend to first think the stranger at the door is there for nefarious reasons instead of innocent reasons. It’s disheartening to see how many posts make it to Nextdoor, sometimes accompanied by photos or video, wanting to know “Does anyone recognize this person? Why were they at my door?” For every person that responds that the visitor was probably just selling something or mistakenly at the wrong house, there’s another suggesting the OP should buy a gun and learn how to use it to defend themselves. Just a few weeks ago, a man posted that a woman rang his doorbell at 1am in the pouring rain saying something about “hospice” and her GPS bringing her to his address. He aimed his gun at her from the upstairs window and told her he was calling the police and she left. The 2-3 respondents who were horrified and tried to explain that she was probably an on-call hospice worker who was trying to get to a patient’s house were drowned out by the dozens of respondents who were overwhelmingly supportive of his actions and telling him that she was probably there to commit a home invasion, and that he was lucky to be safe. It’s scary.

So yeah, I might knock on a door in broad daylight in an area I’m comfortable in if I thought there was a good reason, but I’d avoid other situations if I could. In a true emergency, I imagine I would knock on a door because what other choice do you really have? But I would nervous about doing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter