Spin-off: American and British/Irish culture Q&A thread.

Then that's about equivalent to the average Canadian.

Do you watch the Commonwealth Games Buzz?
No because they are not broadcasted on most available networks. If the USA was invited as a former owned power, the USA tv stations definitely would.

How much of the country wants to leave the commonwealth?
I doubt anyone wants to leave the Commonwealth. You don't have to have the Queen as Head of State to be part of the Commonwealth. No reason to want to leave it. To cut ties yes but not leave the Commonwealth.

Is there any sadness when places like Barbados cuts the ties? I admit on my part there would be if Canada cut the ties during my time. I would understand it but would feel sad.
I may be wrong but I think that although the Queen is no longer the head of state, Barbados will remain in the Commonwealth. I understand the decision to become a Republic but I just don’t know how we out right the ‘sins of the past’.
I think it’s interesting to look at the similar legal systems, interpretation of ‘democracy’ and electoral systems and how they differ from non Commonwealth countries.

I may be wrong but I think that although the Queen is no longer the head of state, Barbados will remain in the Commonwealth. I understand the decision to become a Republic but I just don’t know how we out right the ‘sins of the past’.
I think it’s interesting to look at the similar legal systems, interpretation of ‘democracy’ and electoral systems and how they differ from non Commonwealth countries.
yes for sure staying in the Commonwealth. Just cutting the ties as Head of State. It does bring up lots of questions about not great history for sure.

Along those lines last summer we had a group knock down a statute of Queen Victoria due to her association with residential schools and their abuse. Stories like this will become more prevalent as time goes on.

FWIW, based on my one-time job as a teacher of US Govt, my anecdotal guess would be that a majority of Americans, if they think about the Commonwealth at all, conflate it with the British Empire, and assume that it was dissolved decades ago.

It's been a pretty eye-opening experience for me moving from a country colonised by the UK, to living in the UK.

I like seeing the Queen on the money here, but back home? Not sure.

It's been a pretty eye-opening experience for me moving from a country colonised by the UK, to living in the UK.

I like seeing the Queen on the money here, but back home? Not sure.
Has your relocation been a positive or negative experience ?

Has your relocation been a positive or negative experience ?

Super positive, I absolutely LOVE living in London. We actually tried out another country closer to home, and came straight back as soon as we could!

I guess living in different countries can kind of crack your world view open a little/a lot more. It has certainly developed my perspective! It's been interesting.

Super positive, I absolutely LOVE living in London. We actually tried out another country closer to home, and came straight back as soon as we could!

I guess living in different countries can kind of crack your world view open a little/a lot more. It has certainly developed my perspective! It's been interesting.
I was in London for 4 years and loved it. I agree, once you live in a different country, you view things very differently.

Whether typical or not (I don't know), with the exception of Canada as a teen, my first international trip outside of the U.S. was when I was in my early 40s. It was actually to Israel on business. I agree with those posting, while I didn't live for any length of time in different countries, even the exposure was helpful to better understand cultural points of view. Perhaps, vacations (honeymoons) are in a different category but I don't get the sense that many of my friends/peers have been international.

Whether typical or not (I don't know), with the exception of Canada as a teen, my first international trip outside of the U.S. was when I was in my early 40s. It was actually to Israel on business. I agree with those posting, while I didn't live for any length of time in different countries, even the exposure was helpful to better understand cultural points of view. Perhaps, vacations (honeymoons) are in a different category but I don't get the sense that many of my friends/peers have been international.
What an amazing 'first' trip overseas, I can't wait to get to Israel one day! Hopefully soon. Travelling is one of my favourite things for so many reasons, including the broadening of world view!

I was in London for 4 years and loved it. I agree, once you live in a different country, you view things very differently.
Funnily enough we were intending to move to Dublin this time around! (Bureaucracy intended otherwise.) I think it turned out for the best!

What an amazing 'first' trip overseas, I can't wait to get to Israel one day! Hopefully soon. Travelling is one of my favourite things for so many reasons, including the broadening of world view!
I have been an additional ten times since (business mostly), and it is an eye-opening and amazing experience. As it was told to me at the time, not everything you see "for 30 seconds on the news" is representative of what is actually experienced "on the ground". Very true in different ways - but for the purpose of this thread and conversation - I think this likely applies to just about every country as well.

Last edited:
Do Brits eat fish and chips as much as Yanks eat hot dogs? Also do most Brits make their own fish and chips or instead order “take out” (or as you say “take away”)?

Also how popular are chip buttys?

Do Brits eat fish and chips as much as Yanks eat hot dogs? Also do most Brits make their own fish and chips or instead order “take out” (or as you say “take away”)?

Probably yes. In Ireland the takeaway places are called chippers and many are run by Italian families who came to Ireland in the 1960's and 1970's. There is nothing like proper chipper chips, thick and chunky, smothered in vinegar and salt. The actual chips are basically the same in any part of Ireland or The UK but there are many regional variations of what you put with them.

In Ireland curry chips or garlic chips and cheese would be the two most popular as well as the plain chips.

Curry Chips
curry-chips_2__1.jpg

Garlic Chips and Cheese

garlic.jpg

Other things popular from the chipper would be battered sausages or mushrooms.

Most people don't really do fish and chips at home, theres usually at least 1 chipper local to most people. I live in a suburb, and theres 2 chippers within 10 minutes walk of my house, one in each direction. And now with the delivery apps, its even easier to get food from chippers.

Most families would go to the chipper at least once a week.

In towns and cities, the chippers stay open late at night, after the pubs close, as its a thing to get chips on a Friday or Saturday night after being in the pub before you go home.

Chip buttys are not really that popular in Ireland.

Probably yes. In Ireland the takeaway places are called chippers and many are run by Italian families who came to Ireland in the 1960's and 1970's. There is nothing like proper chipper chips, thick and chunky, smothered in vinegar and salt. The actual chips are basically the same in any part of Ireland or The UK but there are many regional variations of what you put with them.

In Ireland curry chips or garlic chips and cheese would be the two most popular as well as the plain chips.

Curry Chips
View attachment 675287

Garlic Chips and Cheese

View attachment 675288

Most people don't really do fish and chips at home, theres usually at least 1 chipper local to most people. I live in a suburb, and theres 2 chippers within 10 minutes walk of my house, one in each direction. And now with the delivery apps, its even easier to get food from chippers.

In towns and cities, the chippers stay open late at night, after the pubs close, as its a thing to get chips on a Friday or Saturday night after being in the pub before you go home.

😋

Curry Chips
View attachment 675287

Garlic Chips and Cheese

View attachment 675288

I heard stews are popular in Ireland. If so, do you have a recommendation of one to try?

I haven’t bought fish and chips from a fish and chip shop for longer than I can remember. I never order take away food. I like cooking and I can generally rustle up something delicious quickly. I eat fish on Wednesdays and Fridays (creature of habit) and generally order fish in restaurants.
I don’t think young people visit fish and chip shops that often. Post bar munching seems to be either kebabs, pizza or burgers.
Last time my young adult son came home rather worse for wear, 🍻 he decided to make pancakes, but put icing sugar in the mix instead of flour. I woke up to a pile of gloop in the fridge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter