spending money

vsb372

Earning My Ears
Hi Disers,
I don't remember seeing this on the boards but if it was already addressed forgive me. This will be our first trip with DD9 and DS12. I was wondering how much spending money I should give them. I.m planning on surprising them with a card and Disney dollars but I.m not sure what kinds of souveniers pre-teens will be interested in or how much things in WDW cost. Also should I give them one lump sum or set a limit for each park? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Can't wait!!!

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but my son (age 9) usually saves about $75 for each trip and always spends every penny of it. We do the 'lump sum' thing, so that there are no questions about what he has to work with. He can spend it all on one thing or save it to buy a number of items. It's amazing to see a small child make some very wise choices when they know their limit. :)

We also buy him small things aside from his $75 limit, such as candy or little treats. But for the most part, he has to stick to his limit or we'd go positively broke with all the "I want"s.

My DD (8 soon to be 9) has $50.00 set aside from her allowance over the past months. I'll buy a couple of t shirts, snacks and maybe a keepsake or two that I want her to have. She can spend it however she wants but I sometimes reminder her if she's forgotten about an 'I Want' and it looks like money is running out.

I hold the $ and do the tracking and accounting.

I think the first thing you need to determine is what you expect them to buy with this money. How long will you be there? What can you honestly afford?

I have not determined what my DD's will be getting yet for our trip in December, probably approx $50 - $75. But what ever the amount, from this they will have to buy all suvineers that they want (I will buy an autograph book, Epcot Passport, and the magical moments game and any other things I want them to have) and any snacks/treats they think they need when I am not buying the group a snack/treat.

I have 2 sons 16 & 9. Each has some of their own money that they bring. Our trip in Aug was 15 days. Every morning we gave each one $10 Disney dollars to do with as they wanted and 2-3 trading pins.

We still paid for shirts, autograph book, ice cream breaks etc.

Some days they saved the $10.00 and waited until they had enough for something big. Other times it was used at the arcade. One day a toy beckoned before we even made it to the bus stop. Sometimes it bought internet time to check things on the Teen Board;)

It amazing how frugal they become when it is their money:D

We've been doing this for the past 5 trips and so far they've not asked for a raise.

Thanks to all of you for your advice. We were thinking of giving around $50 and that seems like the norm. I was also wondering if any of you give them money or do you convert it to disney dollars or should we just get them their own disney card? Plus , I noticed some of you mentioned magic moments game and Epcot passports What is the game and are the passports different than the Epcot pass?

The waiting can sometimes be unbearable this board is like my fix!!!

I will give them all Disney Dollars. I am not sure what you mean by Disney Card, if you are talking about the gift card from the Disney Store, they wont work at WDW.

I did Disney Dollars for our first trip. It was exciting for her when we bought them and first few times using. After that she didn't seem to care so didn't do it after. We needed regular cash for trip to Universal or Seaworld.

For first trip, it's kind of fun but would only convert about 1/2 the cash to Dis$.

Got to boast what daughter is taking this year. She lost a tooth and requested more money at WDW! Can't say no to that 'gap tooth grin'

On the other side of it, my kids, 11,10 and 8, hate to shop. I'm probably going to give them $20 each to spend anyway they want - candy,arcade, little things, and then I'll buy them each a big thing,like a shirt or a hat, if they see something. They are just not interested in buying a lot of stuff. Christmas is around the bend so they don't need toys, we bought $2 pins at the DS to trade, etc. etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter