Speed Stacks for a 4yo? Is it worth the 30 bucks?

mookie

<font color=FF6666>Wow, am I in a wierd mood tonig
I am just finding out about this now, and I'm sure some of you parents with kids a bit older than mine will have some input. Do you like this game? I'm thinking of getting it for dd for Xmas, but it seems too hard for her (she's almost 4) Thoughts?

I am a children's minister, and we have several sets of Speed Stacks at church for the kids to play and practice with. I will tell you that I have a lot of 5 year olds that really like them. We don't have them in the 3 and 4 year old area, so i can't speak to that specific age, but i do know 5 year olds like it. (And parents love them too.)

My older kids (9 & 11) have Speed Stacks and love them. The little sister just turned four and when the big kids leave them out and she gets into them she enjoys stacking and playing with them. But...she is just free form stacking not actually speed stacking as in following the patterns. I think 4 is young for actually getting the idea of speed and remembering the patterns to be stacked. So would your 4 year old play with them...probably, would they be able to do the same basic thing with a bag of solo cups for $2.59-probably! Maybe I am just cheap but I would not get the official Speed Stacks for a four year old.

Sorry to thread highjack, but where do you buy these? My kids played with some at Dollywood and loved them!

fiveforall said:
Sorry to thread highjack, but where do you buy these? My kids played with some at Dollywood and loved them!

Santa picked up a set for my DD7 at Toys R Us.

Not sure about a 4 year old, but I heard Santa will be getting them for my 7 year old! :)

So can someone explain to me what makes these any different than a bag of disposable plastic cups + a stopwatch?

I don't know how much they are at Toys R Us but Walmart just had a price drop on them making them 29.99-a pretty good price. They are 'better' than regular cups as they are a heavy material, and shaped better for hands, the mat is good so they cups do not slip and the timer is built in to the mat. So if they are 'serious' the kit is nice--it also comes with a DVD teaching the sets and how to do them.

For little ones or ones just trying it out to see if they like the idea a bag of cups and a timer is just fine...if they really like the sport the kit is a good way to go.

KB Toys as well as TRU has them. They were 29.99 at both. They come with a plastic mat that keeps them from slipping as well as a timer.

ZanneMarie said:
probably, would they be able to do the same basic thing with a bag of solo cups for $2.59-probably! Maybe I am just cheap but I would not get the official Speed Stacks for a four year old.
My kids said the same thing when they saw them in the ToysR Us catalog.

NotUrsula said:
So can someone explain to me what makes these any different than a bag of disposable plastic cups + a stopwatch?

The difference is real simple yours don't say Speed Stack on the side and you didn't waste $30 dollars on them.

My kids use the child cups from Disney restaurants and they seem to work great plus we also have the challenge of where in the pattern the epcot cup ends up

Actually, my almost four year old twins play with them CONSTANTLY and have no problems with the patterns and it keeps them happy for LONG periods of time :goodvibes Of course, it took them a little help and a little longer to catch on, but that is all part of the fun. The set comes with a dvd which is helpful for kids that dont read well yet to learn the hand movements.

We tried to keep them happy with solo cups so they would leave their sisters stackers alone but they dont work the same way.

We have gotten alot more use out of this 39 dollar toy than some other more expensive ones we have purchased in the past. I definately dont think they were a WASTE of money.

The timer on the stackers is very nice as it is activated automatically when they take their hands off of it, they dont have to push a button or have any one help them by using a stop watch.

Oh, this is so funny (I think)...I saw them on a commercial and then in the Toys R Us catalog and thought they would be really cool for my 11, 9 and 4 yos. I put them on my mental list, and then my 11 yo. was looking through the Big Wish book. He saw them and was like "We do these in PE every year and they are so boring!" My 9 yo agreed! I don't know why they do stacking cups in PE, but I'm glad I heard his comment. I can't imagine the look on their faces if they opened them up on Xmas.
I think they actually like them, just get tired of doing them in PE when they'd rather be going more physical activity....

grlzmom said:
Actually, my almost four year old twins play with them CONSTANTLY and have no problems with the patterns and it keeps them happy for LONG periods of time :goodvibes Of course, it took them a little help and a little longer to catch on, but that is all part of the fun. The set comes with a dvd which is helpful for kids that dont read well yet to learn the hand movements.

We tried to keep them happy with solo cups so they would leave their sisters stackers alone but they dont work the same way.

We have gotten alot more use out of this 39 dollar toy than some other more expensive ones we have purchased in the past. I definately dont think they were a WASTE of money.

The timer on the stackers is very nice as it is activated automatically when they take their hands off of it, they dont have to push a button or have any one help them by using a stop watch.
Ok totally off topic but .....
how did you take all your kids on a disney cruise? I have 4 and am trying to figure out how to make it work. Did you get ajoining rooms- or did you have other family members go along. Please help....
Oh and on the cups-- I think we will be trying them- the solo cups just smash when you are really moving on the stacking.

MOOKIE...I just got finished reading the MIL from H*ll thread...it took me an hour! But I really enjoyed it! I, too can relate! THEN LO AND BEHOLD...the next thread I found interesting was YOURS! We must have some sort of...I don't know...connection!

ANYWAY...My DS4 JUST asked for them TODAY! He saw the commercial and freaked! So, I am glad that you posted this! I wasn't going to get it but now I probably will! He really wants Floam (YIKES)! I don't even do PlayDough! Floam looks like a carpet NIGHTMARE!

I hope that you have a WONDERFUL Christmas!

The heck with the 4 y/o. This 40+ year old LOVES the Speeds Stacks! :teeth:

I'm competitive to begin with and these things are addicting (just one more time... gotta beat my last time... oh darn! one more time....) :p

I have a blast with them. Taught my nephews to play and they love them.

About two weeks after I showed them how to play we were at a family gathering. kids brought their cups to keep them occupied. Adults were upstairs, 4 kids (who usually fight and tease each other) were downstairs.
Not a peep out of them for almost 2 hours! I went to check on them and they were busy having their own mini competitions with the stacks.
I never saw a game keep them that entertained for so long.

minniebeth said:
Oh, this is so funny (I think)...I saw them on a commercial and then in the Toys R Us catalog and thought they would be really cool for my 11, 9 and 4 yos. I put them on my mental list, and then my 11 yo. was looking through the Big Wish book. He saw them and was like "We do these in PE every year and they are so boring!" My 9 yo agreed! I don't know why they do stacking cups in PE, but I'm glad I heard his comment. I can't imagine the look on their faces if they opened them up on Xmas.
I think they actually like them, just get tired of doing them in PE when they'd rather be going more physical activity....

This is probably why they do them in PE:
Bob Fox is the founder and president of Speed Stacks. Bob is "excited about cup stacking, because it helps promote hand-eye coordination, ambidexterity, quickness and concentration -- skills needed to excel in most any sport." I guess it's worked for his daughter, who was a Street & Smith All-American honorable mention last year.

My DD said she was interested in them and I too thought they were just cups, but apparantly they are a great thing for hand eye coordination. Looks like I may give them a shot!

java said:
Ok totally off topic but .....
how did you take all your kids on a disney cruise? I have 4 and am trying to figure out how to make it work. Did you get ajoining rooms- or did you have other family members go along. Please help....
Oh and on the cups-- I think we will be trying them- the solo cups just smash when you are really moving on the stacking.

Java,
We have used several different combinations for taking them on the cruise, including having the grandparents go so we can put one of the kids in their room. As you have four kids, logistically it will be much easier for you (still expensive though). Your cheapest option for connecting rooms would be two category 10s (the least expensive category that connect). They are inside rooms.

When we cruise without the grandparents, we have to have two category 4 connecting rooms which is expensive. I personally think the category 4 rooms are a waste of money as you really only get a tiny bit of extra room.

Depending on the ages of your kids, whether or not you want balconies (which we get because I love to watch the sunrise in the morning), you do have quite a few options. Some people book one balcony room and one inside room across the hall.

The earlier you book, the less expensive it will be, and if off season is a possibility with your schedule, you will save even more. Although it does work out to be an expensive vacation, we consider it money well spent as our kiddos BEG to go and prefer it of a WDW trip.

We just came back from October 14th Magic and booked on board for October of next year to get discounts/stateroom credit, etc. But after a week of whining from the kids about having to wait a year, dh booked us on the Wonder (first time on the Wonder) for a four nighter in January so I am totally excited to try the Magics sister ship.

You can always pm me with questions, and the cruise board dissers are WONDERFUL with answering questions.

ps: they have speed stackers in the kids clubs on the disney ships :rotfl:

I forgot to comment earlier, the stackers are one game that all ages can play together. I know with my family, it is hard to find something that everyone can do together and this one works for us.

ggeorgiagirl: On the floam topic, ugh, I hate that stuff, it dries and sticks everywhere. We tried it once, kids loved it, I hated it. My little ones also couldnt stand the way it smells. Have you seen the moonsand? My kiddos saw the commercial for that and we are going to give it a try.

ggeorgiagirl said:
MOOKIE...I just got finished reading the MIL from H*ll thread...it took me an hour! But I really enjoyed it! I, too can relate! THEN LO AND BEHOLD...the next thread I found interesting was YOURS! We must have some sort of...I don't know...connection!

ANYWAY...My DS4 JUST asked for them TODAY! He saw the commercial and freaked! So, I am glad that you posted this! I wasn't going to get it but now I probably will! He really wants Floam (YIKES)! I don't even do PlayDough! Floam looks like a carpet NIGHTMARE!

I hope that you have a WONDERFUL Christmas!

hi there ggeorgiagirl! Glad you found the MIL thread a good read. :teeth: Just wanted to give a heads up on Floam. MIL got dd this for her birthday (SHOCKER!) after she had asked about it for months, and then after she got it she played with it for maybe 20 minutes and has been bored with it ever since. She loves playdoh, but floam just didn't float her boat. Which was fine by me, of course!!! :teeth:

We are also trying Moon Sand this year (one of the things on the MIL list that should be from SANTA!!!) so I'll let you know how that goes.

eToys is having free shipping plus you can get a $4 off $40 purchase if you sign up for their newsletter. They have the speedstacker cups for $29.99.

Maggie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter