Spectromagic Rumors?

joshsmom

DIS Veteran
Have there been any recent rumors of when Spectromagic *might* return to MK? I had heard some rumors that it may return last year, but obviously that didn't happen. I haven't been on wdwinfo in awhile so forgive me if this has been discussed recently or way too often.

Have there been any recent rumors of when Spectromagic *might* return to MK? I had heard some rumors that it may return last year, but obviously that didn't happen. I haven't been on wdwinfo in awhile so forgive me if this has been discussed recently or way too often.

Last rumor I heard on another site, from a pretty reputable source, was that the floats had decayed to the point where they were not usable so that parade would not be returning.

Thanks for the reply!!! This makes me sad. I really really liked that parade and I LOVE the music. Glad I have it on CD!!

~I would love to see Spectromagic, but I have a feeling it won't beat MSEP, imo -- from what I've gathered MSEP has a better theme & floats, while Spectro has better music.

I was about to post a very similar question when I saw your post. Since early this year, most of the rumors have stated that the cost to get all of the floats back to "show" ready condition is more than Disney is willing to spend. The reason for the poor condition of the floats has been blamed on improper storage. Also, one rumor stated that Disney was looking into the possibly of "re-purposing" a few of the floats that are in better condition into a new nighttime parade.

I loved Spectro and was very excited about the possibility of it's return. But if Disney comes up with a new and improved nighttime parade, I would be at least as excited. However, this would mean that it will be quite sometime before MSEP can be replaced and it is REALLY starting to show it's age.

awdwnut

Floats have, over time, been stripped of parts to keep ELP going. None appear (looked at a few of the old floats a couple of hours ago) to be destined for "repurposing" and no new parade coming for quite awhile.

May it rust in peace.

Put the rumors to bed. It's deceased.

Actually, may it "rust" in peace.

Floats have, over time, been stripped of parts to keep ELP going. None appear (looked at a few of the old floats a couple of hours ago) to be destined for "repurposing" and no new parade coming for quite awhile.

May it rust in peace.
~Wow. Thanks so much for the update! I really wanted to see SpectroMagic. :sad:

~With that said, I would love a new parade! I wonder if Disney will switch to LED lights for the new floats. We'll see. :goodvibes

Very sad that it won't be coming back.

Saw it with our son in 2009 and he loved it . . . especially when Peter Pan (his FAVORITE character) came up to him during the parade and told him "I'm so glad you got here ok . . . come and find me tomorrow!". My son swears to this day that Peter Pan knew he was coming and looked for him specifically in the crowd. We saw the parade 3 time on that trip.

Saw MSEP with DD in 2011 and we all hated it. Just . . . blah. DD didn't like the floats and DH and I didn't really like the music. Guess we'll skip the parades in October . . . one less thing to work into our schedule.

I've always loved the Electric Light Parade. I actually didn't realize I was seeing a different parade in 2009, but had wondered why Chernabog had gone missing. There were definitely some cool floats and effects in that parade. It's a shame that the materials weren't maintained.

This makes me sad...Spectromagic holds a special place in my heart...In High School my marching band started off the Spectromagic parade. It was a great time and having that many people there watching was amazing. I was kind of hoping of seeing it again.:(:sad1:

~With that said, I would love a new parade! I wonder if Disney will switch to LED lights for the new floats. We'll see. :goodvibes

I'm not so sure there will be a new night time parade.

Does Disneyland have a night time parade now? I think they lost theirs when MSEP moved didnt they?

DLRP has just lost their night time parade as well with no plans to replace it.

I'm not so sure there will be a new night time parade.

Does Disneyland have a night time parade now? I think they lost theirs when MSEP moved didnt they?

DLRP has just lost their night time parade as well with no plans to replace it.

I LOVE the music of Spectro and am VERY glad I have it on CD. I listen to it regularly. When we were at WDW last May, we didn't see MSEP because we did the Dessert Party. We only saw it from a distance. I will give it a try, IF ITS still there in August!! It would make me very sad if they didn't have any type of nighttime parade. There's just something special about them. I always get chills.

I would have REALLY loved to see Spectro! I am torn on MSEP... I remember it from when I was a kid, so there is some nostalgia there... and I LOVE Elliot at the end, but overall, it just seems to be... I don't know, missing something? I've heard (and maybe this is wrong?) that Flora, Fauna, Merryweather and some Fantasia characters were part of Spectro & I love those so much more than Alice in Wonderland & Tinkerbell....

The first nighttime parade I saw was Spectro ('08). I was roughly fourteen and the last time I had been at WDW was in '99. The music brought me to tears, I absolutely loved it, and I had the opportunity to see it three more times. When I went in July, the first summer it switched back to MSEP, I was disappointed. It was a pretty parade, don't get me wrong, but did not move me as much as Spectro. The Alice float is darling, as well as Prince Charming and the Tremaine sisters, but overall, not as magical as Spectro. So sad to see it isn't returning.

So...they managed to keep the ones from the 70's in good condition all these years, but they couldn't keep Spectro from deteriorating over the past few?

FWIW,
I've seen the "new" (since 2010) version of MSEP a couple of times and I'm pretty sure the majority of the lights in the parade are LEDs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter