• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Space saving packing tips ~ Let's list 'em

Sandra:

Do you really need to take food and diapers? I always bring one day's worth of snacks and diapers and then buy more once I'm there. If you rent a car, it's really easy. Also most of the limos will include a grocery stop if you want one.

I also take a small collapsible bag packed inside my suitcase. It's only about 5 inches square when folded and duffle size when expanded. I used it for laundry when we travel and then as an extra bag on the way back.

Also ... is your DS going to be a lap child? If you bought him a seat, he'll be happier in his car seat. Even if you didn't, many times a flight will have an extra seat for you if you bring your car seat to the gate. You can ask at check-in. I bungie our car seat to a collapsible luggage cart and drag it behind me. I would also suggest that you "gate check" the stroller so you can have it with you all the time. Plus, imagine all the carry-ons you can hang off of it :).

Good luck! I try and try to pack light myself but somehow always end up feeling like a sherpa.

What the heck is a space bag?

spacebags.com was no help... it is a dirty picture site, unless they got hacked...

Try this site instead..... http://www.spacebag.com/

It's a bag that you put all of your clothes into and then vacuum the air out of. Takes up virtually NO space at all. I used these on our recent trip back home to ND. We took 2 vacuum bags with us. I believe they were the large size. We fit 3 adult size down jackets in one and a 3 foot teddy bear and 3 smaller bears in the other bag. Those poor teddies got squished but bounced right back after we took them out of the bag at home. :) We now use them to store camping sleeping bags and extra blankets. They fit under the bed nicely.

I just looked at the website and these travel space bags look really cool and they're not too pricey either. One question for people who have used them:

If I pack capris, blouses, DH's dress shirts, and slacks in one of these space bags and roll it to get the air out, won't the clothes be incredibly wrinkled?

I'm thinking they would be a real space saver but I sure don't want to iron on vacation. Should they only be used for socks, tshirts, underwear, jeans and shorts? Or can you pack the nicer stuff without worrying about wrinkles?

Thanks!

When we went to Disney in Sept. 2001 I packed our family of four's clothes in one suitcase by rolling the clothes. Every year I take my girlscout troop camping and that is how I was taught. Believe me, it works like a charm and nothing gets wrinkled. As for anyone being afraid that the suitcase would get lost by the airline, we take a backpack on the plane that has a change of clothes for each of us, our toothbrushes, my contact lens solution, anything we would need if our suitcase was lost. My suitcase has a large pocket on the top and in that I put socks, my daughters' hair scrunchies, anything that can be "crushed together" and won't be damaged. I also took snacks and food to Disney, and I took it on the plane in my carry on. It worked out great, and we still had room for souvenirs on the way home! My friend, who went the week after we got home, was so impressed that she asked me to come over her house and pack for her!

Ok if you use the spacebags to pack, then how do you get everything home? Seems you would have bags that are too full without the vacuum. Especially with souvenirs. Do you take and extra (empty) bag with you? Just wondering!!??

:confused:
Thanks!

Amsyw....I think you are correct about being unable to come home (unless you had a vacuum cleaner with you) if you used the regular bags. The travel bags say that you just roll them to get the air out of the special valve though.

My question regarding these bags is wrinkling. Can I pack capris, dress shirts/slacks, blouses and stuff in these or will they be horribly wrinkled. Should they be saved for shorts/tshirts/underwear and stuff. Can anyone comment? I am wanting to use them to pack for a cruise.

Thanks!

Because we often drive from Houston (about 20 hrs), we ususally break the driving into one evening and one long drive day. That said, we usually have each person roll up a change of travel clothes (undies, socks, shorts, shirt), and put said roll-ups in a grocery bag with razors, toothbrushes, shampoo, etc. Then, we dont have to drag the main luggage out of the trunk when we stop for the night. I'm sure there are downsides (like stuff you forgot, or somebody having a bedtime headache) that occasinaly mean you have to hit the bags, but usually it saves us a bit of hassle and gains a few more minutes on the road instead of loading the trunk in some motel parking lot.

later..

Regarding the space bags that need the vacuum, you will need one again come! If you are some who has to bring a ton of diapers and baby stuff that gets used up you may not have a problem. The travel bags do not use the vacuum you seal the bag almost closed and then roll the bags and use your weight to sqweeze the air out.
As for wrinkles, I really don't remember anything being super wrinkled. But I usually don't pack all cotton stuff. I would probably put the stuff that would wrinkle easy in the middle layer in the bag.
Oh we have been on cruises before and usually they have a place to do a quick ironing or your room stewart will do it for you.

I just discovered those travel space bags - a larger version of a ziploc with a valve to release the air!

I also use mesh lingerie bags (from the dollar store). They save space because you can obviously get the air out and they keep our clothes organized.

We also make sure to have a change of clothes, bathing suit & sunscreen in a small backpack so we can change at the hotel and hit the pool while we're waiting for our room.

We're sure to have laundry detergent so we can wash clothes and bring less.

And - I got a great little backpack that folds into itself along with a similar folding tote at an Eddie Bauer outlet for $10 each. We bring them in case we need the extra luggage on the return trip and I use the backpack to carry our things to the waterparks.

SandraC - you sound like me on our last trip. I was buried under stuff and was miserable carrying it all. We had the stoller, diapers, bottles, food, presents from Mickey (for plane, at resort upon arrival, and again at their bed every night), gifts for the plane, a snack bag for each on the plane, small camera, large camera, video camera, both kids had backpacks full of stuff (since they were 2 & 6, guess who carried them), etc. I also had games and things to keep them entertained incase of a rainy day or long line waits, etc. OH yeah, it was also DS's b-day, so we had his presents. I had the huggest fanny bag that weighed a ton. Then of course we carried huge bottles of water around the parks also. It was an nightmare.

I am so looking forward to this trip. We don't need diapers or bottles any more, but I would definitely do as others suggested and just take a few for the trip and buy the rest there. We're also not bringing the video camera and we're doing away with all the Mickey gifts and most of the food. We'll be there for 9 days and only bring 5 days worth of clothes (doing laundry there). The ziplock bags worked wonders for saving space and allowing the kids to feel older by picking out their own clothes every morning. Each bag had a complete outfit, so they even matched and got dressed quickly.

If you're really going to check both your stroller and car seat, I found a stroller bag and car seat bag. Seems overkill I know to pack either of these things in a bag but...1. they were both new and stayed in good shape even after being in the hands of the airline, and 2. I was amazed at how much stuff I could pack in the bag along with the seat and stroller. The first days clothes for the family fit perfectly in the seat and packed in the ever popular ziplocks, easy to slide out of the way to use the seat in the towncar. BTY my vote for the "used" ziplocks...after the snack has been eaten or the clothes worn...trash! that zipper does wonders on the smell of banana in the car until you reach the next stop :)

This is a good thread. We are heading over to DL in September & I have been told to roll our clothes & put the shoes & heavy items at the bottom.

The travel space bags sound like a really neat idea. I have the normal vacuum kind of ones, but not the travel ones. Will have to look into getting some of them before we go, they would no doubt be a great space saving device, especially when you are buying souvenirs that add to your baggage.

Thanks for the tip guys!:) :wave:

I use the plastic ziploc bags for the kids outfits, too. They work great and I'm amazed at how much I can fit into one suitcase! I just leave them in the bags and then pull the outfits the night before. I sometimes use that Downey wrinkle releaser at night if necessary. It surprises me how well it actually works.

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter