• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Space saving packing tips ~ Let's list 'em

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
With only three weeks to go and way too much stuff to bring, I thought I'd ask your advise of ways to pack with limited space (we are flying). These are some things I did last year ~ please add you ideas!

Didn't pack towels, too bulky and there were plenty of towels available at the resort.

Packed lots of food, but took just about everything out of the box, placed them flat in baggies ~ like granola bars, I lined a giant baggy with a couple dozen granola bars and packed them flat in my suit case.

Calculate the # of diapers I would need for ds (keeping swimming in mind, so more diapers used than at home) we did great, at the end of the trip, we had 3 diapers left over! Excellent space saver.

Didn't take my big purse. I transfered only essential info from my purse/wallet to a small wallet that fit in a fanny pack. My library card didn't need to visit WDW.

Took the smallest version of everything ~ small brush, small socks etc.,.

Didn't take too many shoes ~ I usually end up packing 6 pairs of shoes! Had to cut that down.

Gave dd a small bag and said, "You can take ANYTHING that will fit into this bag!"

What else? Sandra

This isn't space saving, but it's still a good tip (imho)!

If you have to bring any nicer shirts or dresses that tend to wrinkle, leave them on the hanger & in a drycleaner bag. fold up the whole thing (in 1/2 or thirds) & pack it on the top of your suitcase. It should look great when you get there!

That's a great packing tip. I pack myself and two kids clothes in one big suit case. Last year I managed to get more clothes in the suitcase than we needed.

At first I rolled the clothes, but I repacked because I found laying them flat worked better. S

I like packing the kids clothes in the ziploc bags....one complete outfit in each. I can then "squash" out most of the air and they pack tighter in the suitcase.

SPACE BAGS! Love them! I have the travel ones and the vacuum cleaner kind. The travel ones are similar to very large zip lock bags. Just fill them with clothes and then roll the air out! Since you are taking food and diapers the vacuum bags would work nice, since you would have more space coming home. You just fill them up and then use your vacuum to suck the air out!
Also Sandra you sould look into swim diapers if you haven't tried them. They are so much better in the water and seem to pack better, smaller. I also use to use the diapers as filler put them in at the end our of the package and then shove them here or there!
Rolling works for some things especially if they wrinkle easily. Also I usually split the clothes up some of each persons in each suit case just in case!

Hey-thought I was the only nut who swears by ziplock bags! I buy the one zip type and keep them with my travel supplies and re-use as long as they hold up. As Sammy said great for packing outfits in. Also good for the small items like socks and undies as you can keep each family member's together. I just toss the bags into the dresser and it saves time when getting ready each day. In addition to saving space I think squeezing the air out also prevents wrinkles.

Since we travel a long way (from Scotland) we have to be particularly careful wuth what we pack and here are some of my suggestions:

anything that has a cavity - fill it with other things (shoes, cups, bags).

pack shoes towards the bottom of the case (so when you lift the case they don't squash other things as they move)

Don't roll socks - leaving them flat takes up less room

anything longer than the case - put it near the bottom of the case, in flat, don't fold until other things are in then fold the bits that stick out over the top - this reduces creasing too

pack half of what you actually lay out to pack - I bet it's still too much!

Get plastic travel bottles and fill them with your shampoo etc. Buy the smaller sizes or sample sizes of toothpaste etc (you don't need a huge amount for a week or so's holiday).

Don't take your cosmetics if you dare! :eek:

And probably the most useful tip that we live by - leave the bagpipes and sporran - it's too hot for the sporran and after all that walking there's never any puff left for blowing the pipes!

Happy packing :D

Jackie

Okay Jackie, spill it ~ what you the fella's wear under their kilts? I heard a dirty answer ~ I'll PM you with it if you like? LOL! Sandra

SANDRA! TEEHEEE! I think I know that story to...Oh Laddy I don't know where you been...is that part of it?!?!
Blue Ribbon?!?!?

Unfortunately Sandra, what you have heard is absolutely true. Most of the time all they wear is their modesty - and in a strong wind, not even that :o

And their are many wedding photos in Scottish homes to prove it! ;)

I would post one but this is the family section :D

Jackie

Unfortunately Sandra, what you have heard is absolutely true. Most of the time all they wear is their modesty - and in a strong wind, not even that :o

And their are many wedding photos in Scottish homes to prove it! ;)

I would post one but this is the family section :D

Jackie

The one thing I learned is not to pack all of one persons clothes in one suitcase. On last years trip two of our bags were lost for two days. All of our three kids brand new clothes were in one of the suitcases. So the only thing they had to wear were the clothes on their backs.In the future we will spread everyones clothes through out all of the suitcases. This way if one or two of the bags get lost you will still have something to wear. Knowing our luck next time ALL of the bags will be lost:)

The best thing I have found to help with packing problems is Downey Wrinkle Release. You just can pack clothes without worry as to how they might wrinkle. The night before you wear an outfit, spray, tug and smooth out. Ready to go!!!

Jordan's mom

Ok I am definately the most crazy here. Dec. 2000 9 YES THAT"S 9 people in a minivan bound for WDW. We got a leather carry top for the top of the van about $50.- Everyone got 1 Space bag to fit all there stuff in & with a quick vac. we were all happily driving to WDW for our lovely 21 hour drive. But we will never forget the fun :)

Well, just did another PREpacking and I can get everything in one suitcase provided I don't bring any clothes! YIKES! Sandra

Ho in the world will you fit 9 people in a mini van? Mine will only hold 7 has only 7 seat belts. Even if we had another bench seat at max 8. You must have a big van!
You will have fun but I hope lots of breaks to stretch those legs....
Sandy you should get some of the new Wisk laundry detergent that is tablets...so you can do a load of laudry Think less is more HAHAHA I hate to pack...usually always bring too much stuff.

I think I have just about resigned myself that I need more suitcases. I'll try again today! New plan: dh packs his own suitcase, I pack dd,ds,my clothes in our LARGE suitcase. Diapers, the gifts from Mickey Mouse and some food (granola bars, dried fruit) in a mid-sized tote bag, stroller, car seat will be checked. Carry-ons will be dh with cameras, dd with her back pack of toys and crafts, ds will allot his carry-on with food I rather not be tossed around like ds's baby type stuff and my carry-on will be itinerary, wallet, snacks, essentials.

SO:

CHECKED:
Large Suit Case
Mid-sized suit case
Tote bag
Stroller
Car seat

4 carry-on's

I bought one of those folding carts to pull the luggage, I guess I have to check that too? I keep reminding dh and myself that we only need to lug this stuff to and from airports, once we have it in WDW it'll be worth it! THANKS ALL! Sandra

Spinning,

Where do you find the space bags? I saw them on tv once but never got the number. Can you buy them in stores? I just thought they were such a great idea. Thanks for your help!!

I got the original vacuum bags from Boscov Department store. I think you can find them at Walmarts too. The travel size ones I ordered from QVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter