Space Mt ??

seagodess

DIS Veteran
I have never been on Space Mountain. Dont even really know what it is other than a ride at DL. A friend at work today said it is a roller coaster in complete darkness. Sounds fun, but kind of freaky at the same time. Can it cause motion sickness? Star Tours causes me to have it really bad, wasn't sure if it was anything like that. Is it good for kids, like a 5 year old?

I never had the chance to try Star Tours as it was closed for the big refurb when I was there. Space Mountain made me and my DH feel kind of queasy. My DD7 loved it and wanted to do it again :p

Well, Space Mountain is an indoor, dark coaster with dips and turns and motion. Probably not the best if you are sensitive to motion sickness :sick:

I would not recommend it for a 5 year old because it's rather intense and meant for an older crowd. It's dark and fast. Plus, you need to be 40" or taller to ride, so you would also have to take that into consideration.

It's nothing like Star Tours and IMO it's perfect for a 5-year-old, but my son has been loving it since he was 3. I can't wait to finally take my DD4 on it this Summer! It's just a roller coaster in a darker building.

SM at DL is a lot smoother than the one at MK! But it still caused me to be a little queasy......but it is so worth it!

It is a very fun fast roller coaster in the starry dark. It is sooooo fun! The last time we went My daughter was 4 1/2 years old and my son was 101/2, we all went on it multiple times. My 5 year old will go on it this summer for the first time, Can't wait!!!:cool1:

Agree with you, I get motion sickness from Star Tours but I love it so much I still ride it. Space Mountain is really fun, the begining there is some light, as soon as you enter the building in the coaster there are lights on the ceiling but other than that no lights really. We got stuck in Space Mountain and they had to turn the lights on.. that was crazy seeing all the tracks everywhere. I was hesitant of putting my hands up as they might be cut off HAHA but after seeing it with the lights on Im sure it cant happen.. Totally worth it if you can get your son on it. You gotta experience it sometime or another right?!

My son rode it when he was 6. He did not like it at all. He loves BTMRR, and did ok on Indy, but hated space. It just really depends on the kid. I don't know about motion sickness, it has never been an issue for me.

Space Mountain just isn't my laughing place, tho I enjoy most other roller coasters (as long as they don't go upside down or give me whiplash.)

BTW, Star Tours at DLR is MUCH smoother since the refurb. It used to jerk us around enough to aggravate DH's back problems, but last month the ride was actually enjoyable.

I'm very prone to motion sickness and Space Mountain is my favorite ride; I have never had a problem. It is indeed a roller coaster in the dark--no loops. If the 5yo is afraid of the dark, they would hate it. If they like adventure, they might like it.

DD12 loves it, as does DD15, they have been riding since they were 6 & 9. :) It does give me motion sickness, I'm hoping I'll be able to take some Bonine and that will help. :) Star Tours used to give me motion sickness as well, but not anymore. :) I don't know if it's just the excitement of a new ride or what, but I do not feel sick after riding ST and can in fact, ride it multiple times in a row! lol

My 5 year old DS has been riding Space Mountain since he was about 3 1/2 and loves it!!! We just got back from a 6 day trip and rode it numerous times. I agree it depends on the child. Now to get my 3 1/2 year old DD to get a growth spurt so she can ride!! She's very anxious and can't wait. We had to measure her everytime her brother would ride just in case things had changed within the last 24 hours. :rotfl2:

I was hesitant of putting my hands up as they might be cut off HAHA but after seeing it with the lights on Im sure it cant happen
Hahaha That is so funny, I thought I was the only one thinking that!! I always want to put my hands up but keep thinking my hand will get cut off. I will do it next time now. I am trusting you.......lol. ;)

LOL and if you do happen to get them cut off you can sue the park and make millions!

Space Mountain is a lot of fun, but it does cause me some motion sickness (star tours is the only other ride at Disneyland that does so). I think a lot of the reason for the motion sickness is because the ride is dark, so my body knows it's going somewhere, but my eyes can't see where exactly. BTMRR gives me zero problems. Star Tours is the same thing as SM, where my eyes think my body should be moving, but it's not.

So, thinking about that, one thing I've found really helps is to focus on the small red lights near the track. That gives my brain some idea of where we should be moving, so when we move there, it's not surprised and sick. Takes a bit of the fun out of the ride, but let's me go on it with my wife and son, who both love it and don't have the motion sickness problem. Still a little uncomfortable for me, but takes it from an 8 to a 3.

I am prone to motion sickness, but have never felt anything on Space Mountain. My 6 yr daughter old LOVED it. My 8 yr old daughter thought it was too fast but went with us anyway.

I am excited to take my son who is 6 on SM and TOT. We have done ST before before the refurb, so I am anxious to see how smooth it is. My son loves Splash Mtn and BTMRR, so I think he will enjoy SM and ST. Not sure about TOT tho. Of course, he doesn;t know we are going yet so that will be a big surprise in itself.

Coming from the Midwest and a lover of roller coasters...I didn't understand the thrill of Space Mtn or any Disney coaster the first time I was on them. It took me a few times of riding to appreciate it at a different level and not compare them to coasters of Cedar Point or Kennywood with the big loops or big drops. I love them now and would ride them all the time every day if I could.

I should start by saying I do not like roller coasters because of my imagination about everything horrible that could happen. That said, I love space mountain simply because I can not see what is coming and therefore my mind is not able to process anything bad happening. 5 might be a little young, but then again everybody is different. My suggestion would be don't start there. If your kid can't handle dumbo, SM might not be the best idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter