Space 220

Y’all forgot, this is WDW. I still remember buying hotdogs back in the 80’s for 4 people that came to around $40+. DH and I just had local lunch and a couple of drinks that was $80 with military discount. Bought bacon at Publix that was $7.99. But, you will spend ridiculous money for QS or high F&W without blinking. Obviously Space 220 is not going to be for everyone, maybe that was their thinking. Flying Fish, STEAKHOUSE 71, etc. are also expensive. Choose what you are willing to do, but complaining about the price is a waste of energy…IMO.
Exactly, it all depends on what you order... Places like this and BOG are decent enough deals if you order steaks. A standard steakhouse filet is around $40 -$50.00 at any of your nicer restaurants. Add in a $10.00 app and a $10.00 dessert and you are sitting at $60.00 - $70.00. Add in a drink and it's another $4.00. So you are paying a few bucks for atmosphere of BOG or Space 220. I'm not sure what restaurants people are using as comparisons?
Direct from The Boathouse menu for instance:
Filet Mignon* $49.50
Classic Caesar ($8.00 I went with the cheapest app here.)
Key Lime Pie in a Mason Jar $10.00
Total: $67.50

Chefs de France is $60.00 for a Prix Fixe drink or wine included. We consider this a good deal in WDW if you are looking for a Filet. But it's not in a castle or floating in space either.
BOG comes with Coffee and Non-Alcoholic beverage for $62.00 and people complain about it as well.
Space 220, you are paying $11.50 more for atmosphere at $79.00.

I think people would be complaining less if the food actually looked impressive. At this price point, I didn't expect to feel like, "Well, I'd have the buratta... I guess."

(And, to be fair, I feel this way about a lot of Disney's dining offerings. Just hoped for better here.)

But at least steakhouse71 let's me buy what I want.. the menu says a filet is $36 with one side vs $79 for a whole bunch of stuff I dont want
Look at some of the other Patina Group restaurants not only in NY but also Disney Springs. What you are mostly paying for at Space 220 is the novelty of dining is “space ”. I agree that the pictures of food is disappointing but you can’t tell taste from a picture. This will be a wait and see if the place lives up to the hype.

When we went to BOG they let my son choose food off the kids menu but they still charged him the adult price. I have heard that people have gotten them to charge the kids. My DH would hate if I made a fuss so I did not that day.... but is was not $80. When I go to Disney its its certainly not to complain at people that's not a carefree vacation.
Yeah I wouldn’t make a fuss either. I don’t think I’d want to pay adult price for a kids meal either though. I think it’s just safer not to go. It’d be nice if it was a rule like kids price plus a fee like $10 or something for a child over 9 … I don’t know that probably doesn’t make sense, but oh well it is what it is.

Space 220 Menu

Adult Lunch - $55 fixed price (salad and Centauri burger - no drink mentioned)
Adult Dinner - $79
Children's - $29 either - for chicken tenders or a burger plus cupcake & apple juice? haha

The fixed price dinner is the most expensive I've seen for two other than Victoria & Alberts. I will pass.

The point of a prix fixe is to avoid this exact thing – see all the people who wanted to go into BOG just to "look around" and get a soda. But yes, the lounge is an option.

Yep. Everyone complaining can thank the people who booked BOG, took in the whole family & split a cupcake. This is absolutely no different than all the other pre fixe meals. And again, it isn’t just kids who eat light. Lots of other people don’t necessarily want a full 3 course meal. I haven’t eaten all my food at any pre fixe meal ever. But if I want to experience these places, I pay the price to do so.

We all complain, but as long as people keep paying nothing will change.. maybe they bank on people not knowing the exchange rate lol

I heard some ADRs were available already, did anyone see them? Should we try TP?
From Disney web site: Space 220 will be available for walk-ins from September 20 to September 26 only. Please note that reservations will be available––and strongly recommended––starting September 27. Reservations can be booked starting September 20.

I think people would be complaining less if the food actually looked impressive. At this price point, I didn't expect to feel like, "Well, I'd have the buratta... I guess."

(And, to be fair, I feel this way about a lot of Disney's dining offerings. Just hoped for better here.)
I can't think of a Patina Group restaurant that offers anything special outside of Morimoto and that's because of the chef's influence.
Like I said above, outside of ordering steaks you basically get rolled on everything at WDW. Haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter