Southwest???

scanne

<font color=blue>OK, I must have really small ears
I'm getting ready to book airfare on Southwest for our trip this summer. They're cheaper (and more stable) than USAirways.

What can you tell me about this airline? What have your experiences been? We're flying out of Philadelphia. Can you do curbside check in with Southwest? Thanks!!!

scanne said:
We're flying out of Philadelphia. Can you do curbside check in with Southwest? Thanks!!!

I've been able to do curbside check-in with Southwest at every airport I've ever travelled to. I'd imagine Philadelphia is the same.

I LOVE Southwest, and fly them every chance I get... can't beat the price.

If you've never flown SW, the biggest difference is not having an assigned seat. You can pre-print your boarding pass after midnight on the day you leave- you want an "A" boarding pass so that you are in the first boarding group... if not, you may not get seats together with your party. If you have kids under 5 (which you do), you can pre-board, so it doesn't matter what letter you have. Even with the boarding pass, people will start getting into the A, B & C lines about an hour before boarding... depends how badly you want a particular seat or how badly you want to sit together. I don't go crazy about where I sit... it doesn't kill someone NOT to sit with their family for an hour or two.

No food served on board- I don't see that as a problem, as airline food is horrible anyway- bring a snack. No movies on board either... again, no big deal for me... my kids watch DVD's on my laptop if they are bored.

Never had a problem with SWA - if you think you will be flying a few more times this year I would highly recommend signing up with their frequent flyer program and buying your tickets online - It does not take long to win rewards with SWA - especially if you buy tickets online !!!

Flying out of Hartford, Southwest is consistently the least expensive and offers convenient non-stops. While the "cattle call" seating is unique, it doesn't bother me. I just care about getting to where I need to go.

We just booked with SWA for our the first time. We're flying out of Philadelphia in late June. Usually we fly US Air or Air Trans. I'm a little nervous about the seating. It will be me, DH, 2 dds (7 and 6) and ds who will be turning 5 6 days before we fly. Can we still count him as under 5 so we can sit together? If we print the tickets out the night before will we be able to get the A boarding passes to sit together? I really don't want to end up with the little kids not sitting with a parent.

We just fly from Tampa to Phil 2 weeks ago. The flight attandent was incredible. Funny, personable, attentive. My son loved him. We were one of those w/ a child under 5. We sat in row 2.
When we fly to Dis in Nov, I am hoping to fly SW. I have a son in a wheelchair and I know they will let him on first. Thats important, so he doesnt have to try to walk ( or to carry him, he's 10) to the back to get a seat.

DisneyMomx7 said:
We just booked with SWA for our the first time. We're flying out of Philadelphia in late June. Usually we fly US Air or Air Trans. I'm a little nervous about the seating. It will be me, DH, 2 dds (7 and 6) and ds who will be turning 5 6 days before we fly. Can we still count him as under 5 so we can sit together? If we print the tickets out the night before will we be able to get the A boarding passes to sit together? I really don't want to end up with the little kids not sitting with a parent.

I wouldn't worry too much about the seating. Even if you are one of the last to board and don't get seats together, the flight attendants are good about asking people to give up seats so parents can sit with young children. Most passengers are very understanding.

marty0518 said:
Most passengers are very understanding.

And most people would rather switch seats with you than have to sit next to anyone's 'unattended' kid (mine included... nothing against your kids!!) Plus, they won't check your child's birth certificate if you say that he/she is 5 and under :teeth:

You can't print the night before though... it's got to be after 12:01AM...

Was told on the phone by a SW CSR yesterday that when pre-boarding with a child under the age of 5, only one adult could board with the child. Others in the party (even immediate family, i.e. spouse and older siblings) had to do general boarding. Has anyone else been told this or actually had this happen to them when boarding?

I've never seen that... in fact, it seems like every large party boarding 'rents' a kid to get on faster

Thanks for all the replies!

My party is as follows:

Me, DH, DS2 and DD1 (she'll be one when we go). I have purchased seats for all of us b/c I just think it is MUCH safer for the little ones to be in their car seats on the plane. The other members of our party are:

My mom and dad, my husband's parents, my grandmother and my aunt. I will try to get the "A" boarding passes, but as long as I get to sit with my daughter and my husband gets to sit with our son, I think we will be ok.

So I guess SWA doesn't have a 1st class section?

Thanks for all the replies!!!

scanne, We use Southwest unless they don't fly where we are going! If you are really lucky..you'll get a GREAT crew that cuts up with you, sings songs, and just are friendly. You can print your boarding pass out online at 12:01 am the day of your departure. This almost insures you getting into the "A" boarding group..the first group after "those needing extra help to board" group. Just understand that if you change planes and you have an "A" boarding pass for the next leg...you probably will be joining a plane that already has passengers and may not be able to get a choice seat. We have flown out of 5 states and have not had any problems with them! Have a fantastic time!

Let me tell you about my 1st SWA flight.
We lived In El Paso TX. when my youngest son was born.
He needed to have birth defect corrective surgery done.
They flew us round trip free to Lubbock TX.
When we arrived at the Airport it was then that we found out that the entire flight was for children that needed surgeries at the Childrens Hospital.
It was Halloween so everyone was in costume. pirate: :wizard: princess:
The entire flight was a party. :cool1:
I have alway flown SWA since except when we went to Paris.
They don't fly international.
I love SWA :love1:

Brendita, That was so special. That just makes me feel even better about telling you that we have had only good experiences with Southwest! :wave2:

I just flew SWA out of Philly last week. Printed my boarding passes at home, checked our bags curbside and went thru security in a flash. We had "A" passes, so after the pre-boarders got on, we were next. Had our pick of seats (and there were 12 of us) . In nutshell "No Problem".

I have flown SW once (last August) out of Philly. It was fine! I think that the service is comparable to USAirways (the other airline we use for Florida trips). I printed my boarding pass the night before my flight and had no problems I don’t do curbside check-in, but it was available. Another thing I can add is that I was able to pick up my luggage very quickly after my flight back to Philly. On our recent flight with USAirways, we waited 55 minutes for our bags. I know that does not seem very long when compared with what some folks are reporting (7 hours???!!), but it is a long time to wait nonetheless. To be fair, we had little to no wait in Orlando, so it seems like it continues to be a Philly-based problem.

I would definitely fly SW again, although I can’t convince the rest of my family to give up their “allegiance” :confused3 to USAirways. I am glad we have an alternative.

I'm another converter to SW from USAir......last year was our first time flying SW. Philly to Orlando. It was great! :cool1: Not a problem....on time, good flight, no problems with getting luggage.....we will fly them from now on and GOOD RIDDENS USAIR!!!!! One thing I do have to mention about SW, it was the first (and only) time I received a beverage in a can---water was that beverage---still don't get that!! :confused3 Anyway, there is curbside check-in at PHL or inside.....we were there so early, we walked right up to the ticket counter (avoided having to tip skycaps that way). Great experience.....see ya June 25th Southwest!! :banana:

Just flew SW from Albany, NY to Orlando Fl on Feb. 6th and back again last night, the 20th.. Also flew SW in 2001.. I love flying with them (the attendants are a riot) and more often than not, they arrive at their destinations well ahead of time..

For the flight down I printed my boarding pass at 12:01 am (got an "A"), but didn't have access to a computer with a printer for the trip back.. Sweated it out till 9 a.m. the morning of my return flight and found someone who let me use their computer.. Still ended up with an "A" pass.. :) I sat in the 4th row..

I absolutely LOVE them! They have fantastic fares, great customer service, timely arrivals and departures, and absolutely NO hassles whatsoever.. Best of all, I really love their non-stop flights from Albany! :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter