• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest Schedule Now Open Thru Jan. 7, 2018

Marionnette

Children see magic because they look for it
Most flights were already sold out at 7:06 AM for the day I wanted to depart. I ended up booking for the day before. Thankfully, I had already booked a hotel room for just that night in anticipation. Now, if only my DVC waitlist will come thru!

Just booked mine as well and also encountered many sold out flights. Luckily there are several airport options we can depart from and arrive at our destination so I was able to make it work for our dates. Disneyland here we come!!!

When are you flying that you're seeing all the sold out dates?

We are going on a Thanksgiving week cruise from Miami and getting down there wasn't an issue -- getting home was nearly impossible as no florida airports had wanna get away fares at times that were remotely good.

I was checking from 6 am EST on and finally got it to show me dates around 7am....and couldn't believe they showed so many sold out.

We are headed out the day after Christmas but going to California to spend New Years at Disneyland! Many of those flights were already sold out! o_O

When are you flying that you're seeing all the sold out dates?

We are going on a Thanksgiving week cruise from Miami and getting down there wasn't an issue -- getting home was nearly impossible as no florida airports had wanna get away fares at times that were remotely good.

I was checking from 6 am EST on and finally got it to show me dates around 7am....and couldn't believe they showed so many sold out.
I was looking for flights on 11/25. It's a Saturday, so I expected them to be higher than normal but.....sheesh! There weren't any non-stop WTGA flights available at all! I think that they never existed.

Finally! they had our departure date listed for ever...nice to have our November return date up...prices seem kinda high. I have never paid more that $485 for my wife and I to fly round trip, NS from BWI...and i always pay the extra for priority boarding too...I'm not seeing anything for less than $600 without the extra...may wait a while to buy.

I was unimpressed with the schedule out of BUF. Fewer non-stops and the prices are not great. We may wait it out a bit to see if prices go down and/or more non-stops are added.

I was unimpressed with the schedule out of BUF. Fewer non-stops and the prices are not great. We may wait it out a bit to see if prices go down and/or more non-stops are added.
I'm thinking of doing the same for BWI...there are usually more morning NS flights for less money listed the closer it gets

What time of day do these typically release? We're taking a southern Caribbean cruise in 2018 so I did a mock run of tickets on the same November dates just to compare on SWA and the airfare was more than the cost of the cruise itself! No wanna get away on the outbound trip, but at least it was $240 on the return.

Prices seem super high right now. Whens the best time to book for December?
Here's what I have learned regarding SW flights: If you're flying during a high-demand time (i.e. weekends, holidays), the flight prices may not go down much, if at all. If anything, they will likely go up as seat availability declines. If you're travelling during a less busy time (i.e. non-holiday weekdays) and you're willing to gamble, you can wait and monitor prices over the next few months. Those flights that are less popular usually end up in the low-price sales promotions as the dates get closer. Of course, there is the possibility that those flight prices go up also if seat availability declines.

Also, don't forget that SW will credit you the difference if you purchase a ticket and the price drops. You will have to use the credit however within a year from your original purchase. But it is still a nice benefit.

We may try to use some of my husband's frequent flier miles. Do the points fluctuate for those as well?

We may try to use some of my husband's frequent flier miles. Do the points fluctuate for those as well?
Yes, they do. Points are based on the dollar amount of the prevailing fare. The good thing about booking with points is that if you cancel the reservation, those points go back into the RR account they came from, regardless of who the ticket was for. When you book with cash, you get a credit for the ticket which must be used by the person for whom the ticket was purchased and it must be used for travel that is completed exactly one year from the original date of purchase.

If we book early and points are high and they go down do we get reimbursed for difference?

I have rebooked our current tickets on points 4 times each way. Very easy and the points get instantly redeposited into your Rapid Rewards account. I think it is easier to book 2 one ways than round trip. There is a link to modify your ticket. Just go in and select the ticket to modify and change it to the current lower price. Very easy.

I was online this morning at 6:15 CST and it showed most of the flights sold out for what I needed also. Flying into FLL for a cruise. Ended up flying into West Palm Beach instead as it is only about a 45 minute drive and was much less for what was available. I know in the past when they have showed "sold out" for the "wanna get away fares' - a few months after we booked these fares started showing up. So, I am hoping that that happens again and we are able to change flights into FLL instead. We booked on points so very easy to change the flights. But I wanted to get something booked as we are flying out on December 30th - which is Holiday season. Now to stalk the site everyday for any changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter