Southwest-not impressive

Has anyone ever even Southwest flights go down? Right now for my October dates out of milwaukee we only have 1 direct flight down and it's over 200 one way. I looked at some dates in June or July for the heck of it and they are like 79 each way. Wondering if we should hold off or maybe it's time I switched to a different airline. :-(

Has anyone ever even Southwest flights go down? Right now for my October dates out of milwaukee we only have 1 direct flight down and it's over 200 one way. I looked at some dates in June or July for the heck of it and they are like 79 each way. Wondering if we should hold off or maybe it's time I switched to a different airline. :-(

Well, I first saw prices for my May trip at about $160 each way. Since I got them for 80 each way in December, I waited. Previous years people said the prices go down about 60 days out. As I watched & waited, the price just kept going up. The return flight jumped to 250, then 290. The flight there went to 200. I kept waiting & while at work one day the flight home went back to 250. Unfortunately by the time I got home & could book, it was back to 290. I finally booked at that price because by then, one of the monstops was showing sold out for WGA fares. Eventually the flirt there went back to 160 & I jumped on it. So we are paying about 460 round trip for what I paid 170 for in December.

That was about 1 month ago. The flight there has gone back & forth between 160 - 200 - 220 several times. The flights home are mostly all sold out of WGA fares & the flights that are available are 400+. During this time some weekday or early morning flights from Orlando have dropped to 80 - 100. But those aren't flights I can take so to me they are undesirable flights. So I don't know what to tell you about the prices. They might go down, but not necessarily on the flights you want. Good luck!

We fly out of MKE at the end of Oct. I purchased tickets opening day for 159 each way. This is what I paid last year. The flight down is now 199(nonstop) and the return(nonstop) has all WGA fares sold out. We have gone to WDW at this time for the last 8 years and I have never had a fare go lower than opening day for my time frame.

It is looking like SWA is releasing less WGA fares. I have never seen so many WGA fares sold out far in advance before. I haven't been able to fly out of PVD for under $200 RT for a couple years. Our May flights were over $400 each RT when I booked but did come down and I was able to rebook and get a credit. They did go back up quickly. Also noticed there are less and less non stops from PVD. It has more to do with them buying the competition (Airtran) than fuel prices. I am sticking with them as long as they don't charge for luggage or to change flights...if that changes I will look into other airlines. It is really hard to know when to book now. Our August flights never came down just kept going up. You just have to keep checking and not necessarily when they announce a sale.

I'm flying out of PIT in December but checked the October dates in this release just for the heck of it. They have flights going Saturday/returning Friday for $113 each way, non-stop. I haven't seen that low for awhile. Most likely because Spirit is now adding non-stops, Frontier recently did also, as well as Allegiant to Sanford. So they have competition.

Our flights went down by half from the time fares were released until the time we traveled.

After mulling it over, I think I have a plan.

I just bought 9500 RR points ($262) so now I can cover one-way flights that are about $176 each. The flight to Orlando currently has a WGA fare available for $176 and I plan to book that one tonight since I have enough points already in my account to cover it. Also, it is the ONLY option that we have to get to Orlando on that day so I want to make sure I get it. Then, to get home, since the WGA fare is sold out for the flight we want (which lands in GR at 12:05am anyways), I will book the $176 flight that leaves at 4:25pm, stops in Austin, TX, then on to Chicago for a plane change, and then finally on to GRR, landing at 12:05am. It's not ideal, but it is doable, and it is within our budget. My hope is that there will be WGA fares that come out for the flight that we actually want. Then we can change to that one without any issue and we can "lock in" the prices that we are willing to pay.

How does this sound? Is it reasonable, or am I missing something?

EDITED: Ok, I know that paying $262 for the points is more than paying the $176 for one-way, but I have a twisted, incomprehensible reason for doing it that way. It's basically a $90 insurance policy that allows me to book my entire trip with an unconditional cancellation policy. I'm not flying again until 2018 and the points are the only funds I have invested in this trip so far. If something comes up (like my friend backing out), I can get my points back, I can cancel my DVC reservation, and I can use my AP next year.

Last edited:
I can't find any flights. We are going June 9th - June 17th pit to mco and there is nothing worth buying. June 9th has one way for $209 a person. Coming home is now an issue. All the I wanna get away non stop flights are sold out.... I would have never thought it would have been this hard to find tickets. At this point i wouldn't even mind paying $300 to $350 a person. Last year i got them for $236 a person round trip.

I just helped a friend with dates about the same as yours PIT to MCO. Frontier was $210 pp roundtrip.

Yeah I got about the same price ($169) out of Chicago Midway for early June. I jumped on that a couple months ago because it seems like prices always go up as the date grows nearer. The same flight, same ticket today is now $277. A 61% increase in just two months.

Where are flights on SW between Mke and MCO $79 each way in June & July? The cheapest any of them has been since being released is $114 each way.

The odd thing is, all of my "local" airports are not any different. Flint, Detroit, even Chicago are pretty much the same cost. Usually at least Chicago has cheap flights. Not this time.

If you're willing to look into those airports, might be worth a try to check South Bend airport. Direct flights on Allegiant to Sanford. Just a thought.

Where are flights on SW between Mke and MCO $79 each way in June & July? The cheapest any of them has been since being released is $114 each way.

I think my quote was wrong at the 79, but that's what i'm not understanding is how can flights 4 months out be $114 one way, but flights 7 months out are so darn expensive? I just don't understand the rime or reason behind it.

I think my quote was wrong at the 79, but that's what i'm not understanding is how can flights 4 months out be $114 one way, but flights 7 months out are so darn expensive? I just don't understand the rime or reason behind it.
They change all the time. Keep a close eye on them. I booked a flight about 4 weeks MKE to MCO for this Friday...paid too much BTW. The flight went down by over $100 1 week before the flight! I agree that peak times (spring break, Christmas) typically are never cheaper than opening day.
One disappointing thing I noticed is less direct flights from MKE to MCO.

So I just posted a new thread. Our May 13th flight to Buffalo now has WGA fares back. And they are great prices! I rebooked us on our preferred 6 pm flight for $105!! We were on a 9pm at $290 because the 6pm was unavailable for WGA. So we now have a $187 credit to use before Feb 22. We are going back in December, so we will be able to use the credit.

All of May seems better right now. I have been watching those flights several times a day for a price drop or at least for WGA to become available again. I checked this morning & at noon with no change. About 3:30, there it was!!

Yep. All those sold out for months WGA fares just opened up about 2 hours ago for decent prices. Finally, I can calm down and start planning the fun stuff. :yay:

We only fly Southwest now and it's a given that we will pay $1000 per person round trip no matter where we fly (out of state)

:scared1: That would price me out!
I live in South Texas. Unless we want to leave the country (2 hours to Mexico) it is AT LEAST 8 hour and just to leave the state (north, east or west). If you want to get somewhere in less than 2 days, it's worth it (not that flying is cheaper, just faster). It's a 24 hour drive to Disney with a 1.5 hour stop at a Golden Corral to feed 4 charter buses of people.

Sorry. I got non-stops to/from PIT to MCO for 6614 pts each way. One was on a Saturday, which surprised me.

It's the lack of a NS flight back after 3 pm on Saturdays in October that is killing me this year arrrgh

If around Columbus Day, no, they will likely only rise. Saw a big drop on flights returning Thursday/Friday. After Columbus Day last year and took advantage of it

I'm flying out of PIT in December but checked the October dates in this release just for the heck of it. They have flights going Saturday/returning Friday for $113 each way, non-stop. I haven't seen that low for awhile. Most likely because Spirit is now adding non-stops, Frontier recently did also, as well as Allegiant to Sanford. So they have competition.

Out of gate I paid $113 pp down (actually much less as I had credits to utilize from February travel) & 3,978 points pp back. Today it's $194 & 8,041 # for same flights beginning of October.

Spirit is also out of nearby LBE, + free parking. However, you are stuck with hoping they keep to the schedule/don't cancel due to only 1 flight per day to MCO. I've seen more than a few cancelled flights of theirs to other destinations while sitting in terminal. Allegiant has been consistently late departing for the 4 times I've used them, as in 1 - 2+ hours, and not due to weather issues either.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter