Southwest is giving 50,000 points again

nchulka

<font color=purple>it was funny when the creepy gu
Just to let you know Southwest is again giving away 50,000 points when you sign up for their credit card. This time there is only a 69.00 annual fee, last time I paid 99.00 in August. It's an awesome deal, I already bought 2 roundtrip tickets and I still have 36,000 points left. Also if you signed up recently when they were giving out 25,000 points you can call and they can credit you the extra 25,000 points, my mom did that this week :cool1:

Do you have a link? I'm usually one to steer clear of signing up for cc's just for the perks, but that's awfully tempting. :)

Hmmmmm
I already have one of their cards and have miles on it, not sure if I want to add another but it is awfully tempting to have those free flights for next year...

I tried one link online after googling and it said offer not valid However, re-did it and went to the chase site and it is there, 69. a year...

Hmmm. Wonder if we can get the card, book the free flights, then cancel the card? What's the fine print on this?

DH and I just did this- got approved for the cards, got them in about 5-7 days. I did one for each of us- so now we have 100,000 points. :thumbsup2

I've never looked into one of these airline card offers before. How do the free miles work? How many miles do flights cost(Does a 500 mile flight cost 500 miles?) Are there blackout dates? Are you allowed to cancel at any time? Are there extra fees?

Sorry for so many questions. Maybe a link would help answer them. This sounds extremely tempting!

I've never looked into one of these airline card offers before. How do the free miles work? How many miles do flights cost(Does a 500 mile flight cost 500 miles?) Are there blackout dates? Are you allowed to cancel at any time? Are there extra fees?

This is a great offer, I wouldn't pass up! Each airline runs their program a bit differently. Southwest's website says that 50,000 points is equal to approx $800...you can go on their website and play around with it to see how many points a round trip ticket is from your location. Under the rapid rewards tab in black on their home page, there is a link that says book with points. Southwest does not charge a cancellation fee or rebook fee. There are no blackout dates....an awesome offer. On their website it says 2 free flights, but it is the 50,000 points you get, so you may actually get more than 2 flights. For instance a round trip flight from Hartford to Orlando can run as low as around 15000 points, so we would get 3 flights free! My husband and I each got one!

It is a FANTASTIC offer. I love Southwest and so far this card has been great!

1. Every single fare has a point value. It is a formula where $1 of fare = 60 points (for the Wanna Getta Way fare class). So a $100 flight is 6,000 points. There are no blackouts or restrictions, so if there is a seat on the plane, you can use points!

2. No cancellation or change fees. If you cancel or change a flight your points just drop back in your account. They are not tied to the name on the reservation.

3. No baggage fees on Southwest!

4. There is an annual fee, but they give you enough points on your anniversary to cover the fee basically. I have the $99 fee card, and I get 6,000 points on my anniversary. This offer is $69 fee with 3,000 points on your anniversary, which basically makes the annual fee $19.

5. There are tons of ways to get bonus points in your rapid reward account. They send out emails, have partners, etc. Plus they have something called tiers that give you bonus points for each level you reach.

6. You get 1 point for every dollar you spend on the card. So if you charge $749 this month, you get 749 points. I used to use the Disney card and if I charged $749 I would only get $7 rewards dollars. I like getting something for every single $ I spend.

I honestly cannot believe how fast I am racking up rewards on this card. We can generally get a flight out of PHL in the 12-13k point range. I already have 62,000 points in my account (50k from offer and 12k that I've earned) and I only got the card in August. I charge all my bills to the card except for gas and pay it off weekly. It is a GREAT card!

For cities like Allentown that only offer service from Airtran could the points be used the same way?

For cities like Allentown that only offer service from Airtran could the points be used the same way?
I believe that Air Tran still has its own rewards program, so at least for now No.

Do the 50K points expire?

Technically the points never expire. You do need to have earning activity in your Rapid Rewards account though every 24 months. Which means either a flight or a purchase through one of their partners. I am not sure what happens if you don't have an earnign activity, but I did check it out and I believe teleflora is one of their "partners" as well as lots of others. So I figure worst case scenario is I send a bouquet of flowers to someone if I need earnign activity.

I just got the card last month on the 50,000 points offer but paid $79 in fees. I am going to call and see if they will adjust it.

Thank you OP! :love: DH was approved yesterday. Wish I'd signed up also like a previous poster did -- never thought of it and now the "deal" they are offering is 10,000 miles and $100 credit. The 50,000 points will cover 4 round trip tickets for us from Chicago to Orlando.:cool1:

ok help me out here. If I apply for the card and get the 50,000 miles, are those miles available for immediate use? Example if I apply now, can I use the miles for early December?

So let me get this straight. I sign up for the card and pay $69.00. I then get miles for free airfare. I just have to make a purchase every 24 months through a partner or southwest. Can I cancel the card whenever I want too. Something about this just seems to good to be true?

TIA

Points are available after first purchase. They also add annual fee to first bill so you have it for a year so I wouldn't recommend canceling after first purchase since you'll pay annual fee up front. I love southwest and did this deal for $99 annual fee which they give you that amount in points annually so fee basically pays for $99 of points yearly.

Points are available after first purchase. They also add annual fee to first bill so you have it for a year so I wouldn't recommend canceling after first purchase since you'll pay annual fee up front. I love southwest and did this deal for $99 annual fee which they give you that amount in points annually so fee basically pays for $99 of points yearly.

They say the points are available after 1st purchase but they really aren't available to use until you get your first bill so it can be up to a month after you make your first purchase before you can use your points. Just did this for 50,000 but I paid the $99 fee. Still was totally worth it!:thumbsup2

Yes, my 50,000 points dropped into my account on my first billing cycle so it was about a month from when I got the card. You also get hit with the annual fee on that first bill. So booking for early December probably won't be worth it.

It does seem like too good to be true, but it really is a GREAT card. One of the best rewards cards I have seen. You can also redeem your points for gift cards as well. For instance right now you can get a $50 Amazon gift card for 4,000 points. So you could basically get $600 worth of Amazon cards just for signing up for the card and paying the $69 fee. So much better than the $100 or $200 offers you see on other cards. There are lots of gift cards to choose from too, most of the big box stores.

I still see the 50,000 points/$69 offer on their webpage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter