Southwest CC

I just checked today and the bonus is 65,000 if you sign up by sometime in mid-July.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly - If I sign up for the Priority card which has a $149 annual fee, I'd only be paying $74 yearly since I'd receive an annual credit of $75, correct?
I’m pretty sure you only get the $75 annual credit after your first year of being a cardholder. Can someone else confirm?

I just checked today and the bonus is 65,000 if you sign up by sometime in mid-July.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly - If I sign up for the Priority card which has a $149 annual fee, I'd only be paying $74 yearly since I'd receive an annual credit of $75, correct?
You also get a 7,500 point bonus on your anniversary, which is worth at least another $75. If you fly Southwest once per year, it's basically a no-fee card.

No. The credit does not apply to another other than travel purchases on Southwest. You're on the hook for the full annual fee.

I used to have the SW cc and I swore nothing in the world would ever make me give it up. That was until I just happen to be inside a Chase branch (who carries the SW card) and dh and I were each offered a 50,000 point bonus to try the Chase Sapphire Preferred. We were about to put a small addition on our home and we knew we'd have no problem reaching the minimum spend requirement and paying it right off. Once I tried it, I was hooked.
What I like about it vs. the SW card is that with the CSP you earn double points for any dining or travel. That includes everything from take out to airport parking, taxi, my train tickets to work, etc. Not just flights. I couldn't remember the last time I earned double points with the SW card. It rarely happened because we fly with points so often and it was rare that we actually used the card to buy anything substantial from SW which is the only purchase that earns double points with the SW card. It is nice to be able to book flights with SW points. If the price drops and I "change" the flight to the same flight again at lower price, the points difference gets refunded back to my account.
What's nice about the CSP card is that if we wanted to we could always transfer Chase Ultimate Reward points directly into our SW RR account at a 1:1 ratio so we don't lose anything by making the transfer. I could also use points to book travel (flights, hotels, rental cars) directly through Chase. When you book travel through Chase, points are worth 25% more. Also one can transfer points directly into a hotels loyalty program such as Hilton or Hyatt and many others. The travel partners change occasionally. There used to be several airline programs we could transfer points into such as American and British Airways. I haven't done that yet but some day maybe.
Once my points started piling up with covid, I used their Pay Yourself Back program to redeem points for a statement credit. It was at an extra 50% bonus but now points are worth an extra 25% for this program. With things opening up again I will start saving points for future travel.

To me, it's a very versatile card that out earns the SW card.

Your post has me thinking about getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred card now, lol. I’ve read a few articles about it and it seems like a great card to have. Right now they are offering 80,000 points if you spend $4000 in the first three months. I know I can do that because I still have to pay off the Poly portion of our trip plus I’d use it in Disney for most of our food and souvenir purchases. I have the money to pay the balance off right away.

I just want to make sure I’m understanding your comment above about transferring Chase points into your SW RR account. Are you saying I can use the points I’ve earned through the Chase Sapphire Preferred card to purchase flights, possibly free, through SW?

Thank you!

That signup bonus goes up to 60,000 or even 70,000 on occasion. And I think the highest level Priority card is worth it. You get a $75 annual credit plus more anniversary points, which more than covers the annual fee.
I think right now there is a 60,000 point bonus.

Long time SW Card Holder and have never paid for a flight to Disney as I've been able to use points. I recently moved to the Chase Sapphire as mentioned before because you get 2x points on travel and dining purchases and you can still transfer over to SW for 1:1. Currently The Chase Sapphire sign on is 80,000 points which is double the current SW offer. You could earn your bonus and transfer it to your Southwest Rapid Reward Account or use it for United Airlines, or several different hotels. We will continue to keep our SW Card as the yearly point award is worth the annual fee. Also in the even we need to pay for a SW ticket we get 5x the points using it.

Also the Chase Sapphire offers trip insurance so need to purchase that when booking vacations.

I hope this is the right place (or at least, could be the right place). Does anyone know for sure which streaming services count towards the 2p/$1 that SW introduced eawrlier this fall? I haven't seen a listing anywhere!

I hope this is the right place (or at least, could be the right place). Does anyone know for sure which streaming services count towards the 2p/$1 that SW introduced eawrlier this fall? I haven't seen a listing anywhere!
I believe this is the list-

Merchants in the select streaming services category specialize in delivering music and video content over the internet. Only subscriptions paid for or purchases made with the following select merchants will qualify for this category: Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Netflix, Sling, Vudu, Fubo TV, Apple Music, SiriusXM, Pandora, Spotify and YouTube TV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter