Southern Caribbean beach and excursion recommendations?

tee11

DIS Veteran
Particularly interested in recommendations for Antigua and St. Kitts, and San Juan.
A simple half day at the beach on our own would be the nicest... we have done this in Cozumel and on Grand Cayman, but never in St. Kitts or Antigua - so I'm very thankful for any advice!!!
If you remember the names of any beaches or hotels that offer a "day pass" (price?) that would be great...
Also are any of these tender ports for Disney? Are cabs easy to get for round trip or return trip to port (from a hotel that seems to be a safe bet)?

When I look at the official port adventures a lot of the catamaran and snorkeling tours only list prices for older children - does that mean that younger children are "free" or that younger children are not allowed on those excursions (would make sense, if it's an unsuitable activity, but I don't know)?

Our children are 4 and 8. Thank you!

Can anyone share which excursions they did in Antigua, St. Kitts and San Juan, if nothing else?

I am doing this cruise on the 19th. I have a catamaran excursion booked in st. Kits, and a kayak, snorkel and hike excursion booked in Antigua. I will report back on those excursions after the cruise :)

We went to Carambola Beach Club on St. Kitts.
We did make reservations ahead of time. To get there, we just grabbed a taxi at the port, it was super easy, and he picked us up at the time we asked him to.
It was a lovely beach and we had a good time.
My boys were 5 and 10 at the time.
(Unlike some other beaches, particularly the one the Marriott was on, there was no seaweed.)
Chair/umbrella rental was a little pricey, but not too bad.
Lunch was good, but service was slow.

On San Juan we just walked to the forts and toured them.
There was one VEYR close by, just a few blocks.

We walked through Old San Juan to the other fort, toured that and took a taxi back.

If prices aren't listed for younger children, they aren't old enough for the excursion.
(When they are free, the price is marked as 0.)

Can anyone share which excursions they did in Antigua, St. Kitts and San Juan, if nothing else?

We don't have kids so I did not respond earlier - we also have never done day passes on islands as there is always something to see. The only place we've done a beach only day is Castaway.

I've only been on one cruise where we stopped at St Kitts and it was only for a half day. We did an island tour as the train was down when we were there, and honestly it wasn't very memorable. We went to a fort and looked at some scenery and it blurs together when you have done a few of those.

Antigua we usually book a lobster and snorkel tour and that is what we will be doing this coming January too. One time we took the local bus (van really) to Nelson's Dockyard but I would not recommend doing so with a large group or children. The dock area was really nice to walk around once we got there though - you may be able to book a tour out that way ahead of time.

All but one of our cruises has sailed FROM San Juan, so we haven't done any excursions per se but have done a lot on the island. The forts are a good choice, and wandering the streets from the pier is a pleasant time. The one and only proper excursion we've done was the horse riding excursion to the rainforest and it was just okay. We did not go in single file so there were a few times my legs got mashed into another horse - I wish I had been more proficient beforehand to keep mine in line!

So I just wanted to report back to help the next cruisers; it was wonderful and our favorite cruise yet!!! We ended up taking a local cab to a beach by ourselves on both St. Kitts and Antigua.
It was very organized, easily locatable right off the pier, felt very safe, with set prices, practically no wait time, and clean vehicles with AC and seatbelts. I think it was $12-14 per person round trip, very reasonable.

In St. Kitts we went to one of the farthest beaches (however St. Kitts is very small, so it was maybe 20 minutes), from this beach you could see Nevis, and it was just so gorgeous. The views from the beach were breathtaking. The name of the beach was something with "shells". We could have taken a boat over to Nevis - we were told it's only 10 minutes by boat. There was only a somewhat rustic beach bar there, no wrist bands or hassles to purchase anything. You could rent two chairs for $10 or two beach chairs with umbrella for $20. Our cabbie stopped at several lookouts to let us take pictures (Island is gorgeous), and we purchased some local drinks as well (3 drinks in bottles for $5!), he would have also driven straight to the beach without stopping, had we asked him. We arranged a pick up time, and he gave us his card with a phone number if we wanted to change the time. The bar would have also called someone to drive us back to the pier, so we were not worried. DCL had a "beach break" excursion that went to the same beach... On the way back we stopped at Carambola, just to take a look, DCL had another "beach break with lunch" that went there. It was also a very beautiful beach, with a big modern and decked out beach restaurant and facility. I forgot to ask whether a purchase or wristband would have been required there.

In Antigua, the basic organization of the taxi booth was the same, right off the pier, with set prices, slightly more expensive than St. Kitts by about $2 per person considering distance etc. ... just there were so many more beaches to choose from! We really had a hard time, chose one, Ffryes, and then, while on the way the driver persuaded us to go to another one, which he said would be better for little kids (I had asked for shallow gentle sloping ocean entry, all soft sand, no rocks, no waves). I think it was Jolly Beach. I admit I got confused with the amount of beaches there and what each one was called. And he said: Do you trust me? (like in Aladdin, hahaha!) And we said; OK. Oh... it was perhaps the most beautiful beach I've ever been to... and yes, it was absolutely perfect for the kids. We did get a wristband from that beach bar that was there, but no pressure whatsoever and no "minimum drinks". We simply did the $20 for two beach chairs plus umbrella.
We did NOT want to leave! Our taxi driver came at the time we had arranged with him... but again, the bar could have easily called someone for us, no worries about being stranded.

In San Juan we had planned to walk to the fort and tour it, but my crew was tired from Pirate Night and Halloween night and unable to move, so we stayed on board.

Now I have post-DCL blues...

So I just wanted to report back to help the next cruisers; it was wonderful and our favorite cruise yet!!! We ended up taking a local cab to a beach by ourselves on both St. Kitts and Antigua.
It was very organized, easily locatable right off the pier, felt very safe, with set prices, practically no wait time, and clean vehicles with AC and seatbelts. I think it was $12-14 per person round trip, very reasonable.

In St. Kitts we went to one of the farthest beaches (however St. Kitts is very small, so it was maybe 20 minutes), from this beach you could see Nevis, and it was just so gorgeous. The views from the beach were breathtaking. The name of the beach was something with "shells". We could have taken a boat over to Nevis - we were told it's only 10 minutes by boat. There was only a somewhat rustic beach bar there, no wrist bands or hassles to purchase anything. You could rent two chairs for $10 or two beach chairs with umbrella for $20. Our cabbie stopped at several lookouts to let us take pictures (Island is gorgeous), and we purchased some local drinks as well (3 drinks in bottles for $5!), he would have also driven straight to the beach without stopping, had we asked him. We arranged a pick up time, and he gave us his card with a phone number if we wanted to change the time. The bar would have also called someone to drive us back to the pier, so we were not worried. DCL had a "beach break" excursion that went to the same beach... On the way back we stopped at Carambola, just to take a look, DCL had another "beach break with lunch" that went there. It was also a very beautiful beach, with a big modern and decked out beach restaurant and facility. I forgot to ask whether a purchase or wristband would have been required there.

In Antigua, the basic organization of the taxi booth was the same, right off the pier, with set prices, slightly more expensive than St. Kitts by about $2 per person considering distance etc. ... just there were so many more beaches to choose from! We really had a hard time, chose one, Ffryes, and then, while on the way the driver persuaded us to go to another one, which he said would be better for little kids (I had asked for shallow gentle sloping ocean entry, all soft sand, no rocks, no waves). I think it was Jolly Beach. I admit I got confused with the amount of beaches there and what each one was called. And he said: Do you trust me? (like in Aladdin, hahaha!) And we said; OK. Oh... it was perhaps the most beautiful beach I've ever been to... and yes, it was absolutely perfect for the kids. We did get a wristband from that beach bar that was there, but no pressure whatsoever and no "minimum drinks". We simply did the $20 for two beach chairs plus umbrella.
We did NOT want to leave! Our taxi driver came at the time we had arranged with him... but again, the bar could have easily called someone for us, no worries about being stranded.

In San Juan we had planned to walk to the fort and tour it, but my crew was tired from Pirate Night and Halloween night and unable to move, so we stayed on board.

Now I have post-DCL blues...

Thank you so much for reporting back!! I am truly having a difficult time trying to figure something out in St. Maarten and Antigua... My situation is a little complicated though. My mother and I will be going on the Southern Caribbean in January visiting St. Maarten, Antigua, Martinique, Barbados, and St. Lucia. Originally, I was going to try to book one snorkel adventure, but they appear to all be booked up. So now, I am going to do my best for great beach or resort days (in St. Maarten, Antigua, and St. Lucia). The complications are 1. my mother cannot swim (I do take her out in the waves, but nothing that is ever over her head or rough. At resorts, she greatly enjoys lazy rivers as they are shallow and she can float leisurely. I am a very strong swimmer, so I am very comfortable being with her in the water.) and 2. she has had melanoma removed and I am a porcelain skin redhead (We prefer renting cabanas so that if needed, we can get completely out of the sun which is difficult to do with just an umbrella. From my research, however, I have found that the Southern Caribbean Islands do not lean toward cabana type shelters.).

Would you have any advice about my concerns? I would greatly appreciate it! Again, thank you so reporting back - it is so helpful!

Yes, maybe I can help a little.
You are correct, I did not see any cabanas...
The water in Antigua on the Caribbean side beaches is supposed to be exceptionally calm and I can confirm this for the beach we were at... gentle slope, no waves, all sand. Most beaches did not seem to have hotels on them, just beach bars, so no lazy rivers. What I would do in Antigua is go to the taxi stand right on the pier and describe your particular needs in great detail. They know their beaches best, and there is probably one that exactly suits your needs. There is really no risk... the driver would have let us look at the beach, and if we said: No, that's not what we had in mind, he would have taken us to another one, no problem, without charging us extra (or $1-2 extra per person if it was much further away)…. So I think that's your best bet. We felt completely save and taken care of... no chance to be stranded as long as there is ANY beach bar/restaurant... you could also ask to be brought to a hotel, like a Marriott or something... but I don't know how they handle cruise guests (day pass?)… also the hotel might be on the Atlantic (rougher seas) or overlooking a cliff, etc.. So as long as you are precise with what you are looking for (don't only go by pictures they show you), I think you will be good!

Thank you so much for reporting back!! I am truly having a difficult time trying to figure something out in St. Maarten and Antigua... My situation is a little complicated though. My mother and I will be going on the Southern Caribbean in January visiting St. Maarten, Antigua, Martinique, Barbados, and St. Lucia. Originally, I was going to try to book one snorkel adventure, but they appear to all be booked up. So now, I am going to do my best for great beach or resort days (in St. Maarten, Antigua, and St. Lucia). The complications are 1. my mother cannot swim (I do take her out in the waves, but nothing that is ever over her head or rough. At resorts, she greatly enjoys lazy rivers as they are shallow and she can float leisurely. I am a very strong swimmer, so I am very comfortable being with her in the water.) and 2. she has had melanoma removed and I am a porcelain skin redhead (We prefer renting cabanas so that if needed, we can get completely out of the sun which is difficult to do with just an umbrella. From my research, however, I have found that the Southern Caribbean Islands do not lean toward cabana type shelters.).

Would you have any advice about my concerns? I would greatly appreciate it! Again, thank you so reporting back - it is so helpful!

Yes, maybe I can help a little.
You are correct, I did not see any cabanas...
The water in Antigua on the Caribbean side beaches is supposed to be exceptionally calm and I can confirm this for the beach we were at... gentle slope, no waves, all sand. Most beaches did not seem to have hotels on them, just beach bars, so no lazy rivers. What I would do in Antigua is go to the taxi stand right on the pier and describe your particular needs in great detail. They know their beaches best, and there is probably one that exactly suits your needs. There is really no risk... the driver would have let us look at the beach, and if we said: No, that's not what we had in mind, he would have taken us to another one, no problem, without charging us extra (or $1-2 extra per person if it was much further away)…. So I think that's your best bet. We felt completely save and taken care of... no chance to be stranded as long as there is ANY beach bar/restaurant... you could also ask to be brought to a hotel, like a Marriott or something... but I don't know how they handle cruise guests (day pass?)… also the hotel might be on the Atlantic (rougher seas) or overlooking a cliff, etc.. So as long as you are precise with what you are looking for (don't only go by pictures they show you), I think you will be good!

Oh, this makes me feel so much better! We are obviously planners and are used to going places where you need to have exactly what you are going to do written out ahead of time. Now just have to convince Mom that we "have a plan" haha! She's terrified of missing the boat.

Do you know if St. Maarten is similar (with being able to ask drivers)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter