Southeast US - are you ready for 'Ciceda-geddon'?

While we get a decent amount each year in our area, our dog will be utterly thrilled if we get a ton this year. They're one of her favorite snacks! 🤣

There are cicadas almost every year now. It's not that big of a deal.

We get them most years. I know this season's supposed to be a doozy, but I use a Wind Tunnel fan that would drown out an atomic bomb, so I'm not worried.

In our area here also we are supposed to get the annual brood (never recall those from years back), the 13 year brood (never hear of them before) and the 17 year brood. Should make for a long, noisy summer.

1711999325410.png

We're due for the largest of broods this year, the great southern 13 year brood makes an appearance. The Northern Illinois 17 year brood also makes an appearance.

1712026788296.png

Last edited:
When we first moved to the south, cicadas were interesting, now they’re just annoying. Every year there seems to be a large collection emerging. It’s just another summer, another night or endless humming/chirping. Nothing to see here…

Our family hates them with a passion, but our dog loves them. He sees them as flying chicken nuggets.

It sounds like our dogs could be friends…well, as long as they’re enough cicada nuggets to go around. She loves trying to harvest them out of their burrows.

Hehe, I used to have a dog that would eat them too. Haven’t heard them in the past summers, for a while now. Ours are not ready to come out and sing yet.

Cicadas can even be rather beautiful:

1712057018432.png
They're not all quite that pretty, but many have a shimmery, iridescent shell after they molt.

My cat will be pleased. He likes to play with them when they land on the back deck.

Uggg. Our dog loves catching them and letting them bounce around in his mouth 🤮. Not looking forward to this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter