Sony TRV238E (Digital8 camcorder) odd noise

bazzanoid

where'sthespacebar?
Hi all,

I know it's the photography board, but I figured you guys would have more experience with camcorders than anyone!!!!

My Sony TRV-238E D8 camcorder does something odd - when it's playing back or recording, there is a constant whirring, but not like the expected low hum, this actually sounds like paper in a fan continually. More oddly, it only does this with non-sony d8 tapes, even though it never used to....

any ideas, or should i just book it in for a service and pay the $ to have someone fix it for me?

Cheers!

What other brands did you use? I personally never used Sony D8 tapes, I just use Sony, Fuji and TDK Hi8 tapes. However, if you use any brand of video8 tapes, it WILL give whirring sound.

note: D8 and Hi8 tapes are one and the same (formulation wise), the difference is in the packaging, the same tape will say 120 min for Hi8 version, and will say 60 min for D8 version (it does run twice as fast in D8 mode).

I also used fuji and TDK d8 tapes - these seem to be the noise makers. trouble is, it's that loud that you can hear it on the recording!

do you mind give me a quick scan/picture of either the tape or the wrapper of the tape? I'll bring it up to Sony Canada and ask for the reason (or excuse) behind the whirring).

How's the picture itself? no problem?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter