Son with SID - requesting room at POP?

littlesuitcase

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever asked for a specific area of PopCentury because of their child's sensory needs? My son can handle some noises but not others. I have requested to NOT face the pool but I would really like to be at the top so we don't have noise above us.

If I explain this will it make a difference? We are booked for a preferred room at POP which I am told is teh 60s building.

Thanks for your help.
Helen

I would suggest that you call the resort directly about 5 days away from the start of your trip. Explain to them the situation and hopefully they will be willing to help. The room assignments are made at each hotel I believe and not at a central location.

Hi there... I have not heard of SID before, how does it affect your little boy?

Just returned from second stay at POP, my ds also has SID as well as a whole list of other conditions. Both times the rooms they had assigned to us were not exactly what I wanted...I explained to the front desk what I was looking for and they were very accomodating. We went through the avail. rooms with a map and I got exactly what I was looking for.

I would call them ahead to explain what you need, they are very helpful in that regard.

I don't have any experience with the POP but it sounds like you did receive great advice about speaking to the hotel directly.

Regarding the poster who wanted to know about SID, my daughter also has this along with other issues. It stands for sensory integration dysfunction. It can cause them to be hypersensitive to sound or touch or hyposensitive. My daughter has a problem with sudden sound as well as comotion from say a crowded room. She can't be enclosed with a lot of people making noise too. She is also a sensory seeker, so she will seek out or run over to things that feel differently like sand, silk, satin, plastic cups to squeeze, etc.

If noise is bothering her or comotion, she can have meltdown or cry and put her fingers in her ear.

Carolyn

I'm not sure that the 60's building will be the best choice for you. It is the closest to all the action, but that also means it's closest to the noisiest areas. We stayed ground floor 70'a building room 113. It was a corner room and very very quiet. I think the key is a corner room facing away from the main courtyards. We overlooked some trees, not the parking lot, so we didn't have car door/alarm noises. It wasn't the most convenient path to the main areas, so there wasn't much foot traffic. If you went out our room and turned right you would see the potato heads and the 80's area.

Can you prepare your son for noises that you can expect? No matter what room you're in at POP, you're going to hear the plumbing/toilets. Does he respond well to a white noise machine? Will those sort of noises bother him? Will he wear earplugs while he sleeps?

My son has some sensory integration issues too. His aren't too severe, but he'll put his hands over his ears if he doesn't like a sound, and he'll sort of shut down if he goes into overload. Not a tantrum, more like he's not quite there anymore.

My son is very similar - he shuts down often covers his eyes or lies on teh floor to hide from the world. White noise usually bothers him. My daughter has some sensory issues also but not as severe - she is a bit older so I can usually talk to her about situations. She even at 8 won't flush a public toilet because they are too loud for her. She is the opposite to my son as far as seeking pressure - she has very low muscle tone which means she tires much easier than my son.

My husband wants to keep the preferred spot but agrees to being away from the high traffic - I think building 4 at the back facing the lake may be good. Not sure if I mentioned it but my husband has gout and it can be pretty bad so walking can be an issue for him.

Even with all of this I am really looking forward to WDW - I find if I do the legwork before I get to a place things are easier for everyone - especially me!

Helen

Helen, maybe talk to POP about getting an end room if possible. We were at All star movies last month and hadn't requested an end room but were given one. We heard NOTHING (except others showers/toilets, but that was only if we were in our washroom). It was amazing. I assumed that the room beside and below us were empty, but DH said he saw people in all the rooms around us.

The only thing with an end room though is you either use the stairs to go down or the elevator which is quite a distance. This might not be so good for your husband. Top floor is a great idea as well, then no noise above you.

Have a great time.

Suzy V.

Just thought I would post to let you know I called Disney and put a request for a top floor and facing the lake - but told her about my son. She suggested I call the actual resort about 4 days before and let them know. SO I have the phone number and will call and see how I make out. I will let you all know so those who feel they need special arrangements will know.

Helen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter