Son just moved to Florida, car registration issue/question?

You do need to check that. I say that because in California, it is 10 days after you establish residence or start working in the state, which ever is first.
Many of my co-workers had to temporarily register their cars at their work address since they were still living in a residential hotel and had not found permanent housing yet.
He moved there last week but won't start work until the 15th. Since I (as the current owner) have not moved to Florida at all, would he be subject to the 10 day rule since he does not own the car? The car, by the way, is a 2010 so it's definitely more than a year old.

He moved there last week but won't start work until the 15th. Since I (as the current owner) have not moved to Florida at all, would he be subject to the 10 day rule since he does not own the car? The car, by the way, is a 2010 so it's definitely more than a year old.
No idea how Florida treats that.

Note that he'll need a FL DL within 30 days of establishing residency as well. If he's already moved, the clock has started ticking on that number.

You have 10 days from that date you domicile in Florida to get a license and change registration.
You actually have to show proof of insurance before you can get tagged here. Just sign the title over to him as a gift and FedEx it to him. I don't know what county he'll be in but I'm in Polk. We don't have an MVA here, it's all done at the tax collectors office, and you need an appointment to get all of that done. You have to take the car there as well because they do a VIN verification there in the parking lot.
The 10 day is the law, but they know that appointments take longer so they cut you some slack on that. Insurance is expensive here.
He'll also need 2 pieces of official ID to get his driver's license. The real official birth certificate, not the cute footprint one, and social security card. Oh, have a proof of residence document. I don't remember what qualifies but it's on the web site.

Last edited:

Oh. I forgot about that. Getting an appointment is going to vary by county. In Seminole County I can get in same day or the next day. In other counties you can be waiting for a while..
Edit to add:
Your tags expire on your birthday here. I was sooooo pissed when I registered my car August 20th and I have a September 19th birthday. Yup. They expired. I got pulled for it. The tapestry of profanity I wove in Longwood can still be seen in the air.

Oh. I forgot about that. Getting an appointment is going to vary by county. In Seminole County I can get in same day or the next day. In other counties you can be waiting for a while..
My daughter moved here from Washington last year to Orange county and she couldn't get an appointment for over a month.
EDIT: Yeah, that expiring on your birthday got me as well! It was weird.

Some states don't charge sales tax on ownership changes between parents and children, and children and parents. However, I think another issue that comes up, the car has to be at least one year old. They don't want people skipping out on sales tax by bring a new car in the state.
It is really state dependent. It seems that Florida is pretty greedy when it comes to tax... so much so that they call the place that does car titles/registration the "tax collector". If it was a state like Indiana, they could probably call it a gift and avoid sales tax.

It is really state dependent. It seems that Florida is pretty greedy when it comes to tax... so much so that they call the place that does car titles/registration the "tax collector". If it was a state like Indiana, they could probably call it a gift and avoid sales tax.
Yeah, but then I don't pay state income tax, so a couple hundred bucks to register a car doesn't bother me. (And what else is a registration "fee" but a tax?)

Wonder how they would calculate a value of the car in Florida if no money changed hands? Fortunately, a 2010 car probably doesn't have a very high value.

The car needs to be REGISTERED in Florida but can remain TITLED somewhere else.

See https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicl...tes-registration/motor-vehicle-registrations/
Yea, SOME states will allow you to register your car in their state and it be titled somewhere else. (Indiana absolutely will NOT, you have to have an Indiana DL, title and registration). Florida PROBABLY one of those states that will allow it. In states like Tennessee we have seen, they usually give them a registration and like a year to get the title to them.

I think the only problem they may face that if the car is titled/registered to his mother in another state, the son's name is not on that registration. I don't know if they will issue a registration to a car that is not registered to that person in the other state.

I cannot speak for Florida, but Indiana has a database that they use to calculate the value of a vehicle for which the sales tax cannot be proven what was paid. I would think that most states would have a similar procedure.

In Delaware we transferred title from NJ and they take 4.25% of the Kelley Blue Book for the registration “fee”. They don’t call it a tax, as DE does not have taxes, or so they way.

Edit to add:
Your tags expire on your birthday here. I was sooooo pissed when I registered my car August 20th and I have a September 19th birthday. Yup. They expired. I got pulled for it. The tapestry of profanity I wove in Longwood can still be seen in the air.
Ours expires at the end of your birth month. But if it’s close, they extend the registration to the next year.

Compared to my state, where we pay personal property tax, FL registration isn't bad at all; usually only about $300 to transfer a car from another state.

Insurance, however, is likely to give you a near heart-attack. DS is 26 and lives in a low-crime neighborhood in Pinellas; his car insurance on a 10 yo compact car with a clean record is about $2600/yr. (He chooses to look at it as a work-related expense, because he can't get to work without a reliable vehicle.)

Compared to my state, where we pay personal property tax, FL registration isn't bad at all; usually only about $300 to transfer a car from another state.

Insurance, however, is likely to give you a near heart-attack. DS is 26 and lives in a low-crime neighborhood in Pinellas; his car insurance on a 10 yo compact car with a clean record is about $2600/yr. (He chooses to look at it as a work-related expense, because he can't get to work without a reliable vehicle.)
Wow. I'm in Central Florida. I fully insure an almost brand new car with gap coverage and an apartment for $2,364 a year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter