son got two full time seasonal jobs for summer/needs to quit one

I didn't say it wasn't a good thing to do, I said it isn't necessary. This is clearly a temporary seasonal job. I've worked many of those and no one ever gave 2 weeks notice when quitting. Most would just stop showing up and never actually say they were quitting.
Perhaps. I was raised you give notice to every job, didn't matter that I was a teen or that it was part time and under no circumstances would you just not show up so I suppose that plays into my viewpoint. Detrimental to your whole career not giving 2 weeks to every job? No that's certainly isn't the case. But just saying a teen who has a part time job so notice isn't required is just arbitrary. Seasonal job or not (and I've worked seasonal jobs). Either way it's the OP's son's first job, gives him experience in giving notice even if this baseball field doesn't bat (no pun intended lol) an eye at him not doing so (and keeps the bridge open if he wants it).

Yes plenty of people don't give notice but that's usually societally frowned upon.

UPDATE: OP HERE

So DS sent an email last week and he hasn't hear ONE SINGLE THING from them. He sent it to the scheduling manager and his direct supervisor. And employers wonder why no one wants to work for them. Its disgusting and disgraceful that they never even responded to him. Last night the team was back at home, so DS was thinking, maybe when he "doesn't show up" his direct supervisor would text him and ask him what's up. NOTHING.

Oh well.....thank you everyone for the advice. :)

UPDATE: OP HERE

So DS sent an email last week and he hasn't hear ONE SINGLE THING from them. He sent it to the scheduling manager and his direct supervisor. And employers wonder why no one wants to work for them. Its disgusting and disgraceful that they never even responded to him. Last night the team was back at home, so DS was thinking, maybe when he "doesn't show up" his direct supervisor would text him and ask him what's up. NOTHING.

Oh well.....thank you everyone for the advice. :)

Well, you said the place was a hot mess. This is just another example why.

However, in a weird twist, it is a great thing your DS had this experience. He has learned how crummy it is to treat people by the lack of response from the scheduling manager and the direct supervisor. He won't flip the script and do that to his future employers because he has learned first hand how disrespectful and rude it is. (not that he ever would have done that, but feeling it directly will engrain on him how important it is.) And when he is the one hiring, I would put money down he won't do that.

Hope he is liking his new job!

Well, you said the place was a hot mess. This is just another example why.

However, in a weird twist, it is a great thing your DS had this experience. He has learned how crummy it is to treat people by the lack of response from the scheduling manager and the direct supervisor. He won't flip the script and do that to his future employers because he has learned first hand how disrespectful and rude it is. (not that he ever would have done that, but feeling it directly will engrain on him how important it is.) And when he is the one hiring, I would put money down he won't do that.

Hope he is liking his new job!
your reply made me smile. Thank you. You are 100% correct, he will remember this, he's kind of sad (maybe more disappointed) He worked his butt off there for the short while he was there, the only new hire to actually get a walkie talkie, etc. So yes, he will remember how this felt. and yes, he does like the new job.

your reply made me smile. Thank you. You are 100% correct, he will remember this, he's kind of sad (maybe more disappointed) He worked his butt off there for the short while he was there, the only new hire to actually get a walkie talkie, etc. So yes, he will remember how this felt. and yes, he does like the new job.
Yes I’m sure he was hoping they would at least acknowledge the work he did for them. My son work at Kohl’s for a holiday season. They scheduled him exactly 6 shifts. When they didn’t need him anymore no one even said a word. It was dumb. Not a way to treat employees, even temp ones.

Words: Thank you so much for the opportunity offered me this summer. I especially appreciate the chance to learn different facets of the organization. However, I've been offered another position that better meets my needs for this summer. I'm happy to work one or two weekends each month if needed.

He may need a job next summer or a job referral someday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter