• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

son got two full time seasonal jobs for summer/needs to quit one

Cindy's Mom

DIS Veteran
DS19 applied for two seasonal jobs and got both of them. The first one (which is the one we thought would be the keeper) started 3 weeks ago its at minor league ball field working concessions. They are so understaffed that he was working 15 hours days, unloading the trucks and then changing into uniforms to sell food and then cleaning up ballpark after game. Not gonna lie it was ALOT. But the worse part is that there is no schedule, they'd call the day before and ask him to help with the trucks. Job 2 is summer help for our town's public works - M-F 7a-3p. Weekends off and less than a mile from home. He started that last week while the ball team was away for the week.

He's going to quit that ballpark - and to be honest, I've never quit a job - I've left jobs because of internal promotions, but really never left my ultimate employer in 30 years. I don't know how to give him guidance on some good words for him to use to email them (that's how they communicate). Any suggestions?

DS19 applied for two seasonal jobs and got both of them. The first one (which is the one we thought would be the keeper) started 3 weeks ago its at minor league ball field working concessions. They are so understaffed that he was working 15 hours days, unloading the trucks and then changing into uniforms to sell food and then cleaning up ballpark after game. Not gonna lie it was ALOT. But the worse part is that there is no schedule, they'd call the day before and ask him to help with the trucks. Job 2 is summer help for our town's public works - M-F 7a-3p. Weekends off and less than a mile from home. He started that last week while the ball team was away for the week.

He's going to quit that ballpark - and to be honest, I've never quit a job - I've left jobs because of internal promotions, but really never left my ultimate employer in 30 years. I don't know how to give him guidance on some good words for him to use to email them (that's how they communicate). Any suggestions?

I wouldn't sweat it too much. I bet they have huge turnover all the time. He'd just let them know he has another opportunity, he has to give notice, thank them for the opportunity.

I'd probably do it in person, if possible, and follow up by email, but if that's not how they do things, email's fine.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. I bet they have huge turnover all the time. He'd just let them know he has another opportunity, he has to give notice, thank them for the opportunity.

I'd probably do it in person, if possible, and follow up by email, but if that's not how they do things, email's fine.
dang - didn't even think about the "notice" thanks!

The baseball park job sounds like it likely has a big turnover......too many hours.....unpredictable schedule...........they need to be better organized if they want to keep their workers. He could just say it isn't working out/not what he expected and he has found another job. If they communicate by email I don't think it is that big of a deal.

The baseball park job sounds like it likely has a big turnover......too many hours.....unpredictable schedule...........they need to be better organized if they want to keep their workers. He could just say it isn't working out/not what he expected and he has found another job. If they communicate by email I don't think it is that big of a deal.
OMG do you know that place? LOL its really a hot mess and this is exactly what is happening there. its a shame - because DS is a college athlete and this is the perfect environment for him. This is his first job ever because every summer of his life has been at football camps.

I'd just say he got hired for a full time job, so thank you for the previous opportunity and leave it at that...they don't need to know the other opportunity is also seasonal...

Have him google resignation letters and basically get the gist of what they say and then write his along the same lines. Important to not burn bridges though, so be kind and thank them for the opportunity while imparting that his last day will be XX/XX/XX.

Would your son be interested in filling in occasionally? Since he has weekends off maybe he could tell them he would give them 10 hours a week or something.
This is good advice since the OP added this is a good environment for the son.

Normally it's a 2 week notice and under no obligation to advise the exact reason for leaving although another opportunity came up is vague enough. However, if the son is an athlete and feels the environment would be beneficial keeping that door wide open may be a good route to go if for nothing else than networking. But I also understand if there's a concern that it would turn into an every weekend thing where he feels taken advantage of rather than a mutual benefit. If he's willing to, def. have a conversation about expectations going forward and that the main job is the priority.

I would just call / email whoever hired me and tell them that I took another job due to needing consistent hours, and then thank them for giving me the opportunity to work for them. It doesn't sound like the type of job that needs anything more than that.

I would just call / email whoever hired me and tell them that I took another job due to needing consistent hours, and then thank them for giving me the opportunity to work for them. It doesn't sound like the type of job that needs anything more than that.

This. ⬆

Since they aren't giving him any advance notice or a consistent schedule, it's doubtful he needs to give them any certain time of notice. As others have stated, it sounds like a job with HIGH turnover AND the type of "on call" position where they just need anybody to fill in for the day. Just call or email that the job is not working out due to the lack of consistency, and thank them for the opportunity

They may still call the next couple of weeks as they can't find many replacements. But, DS don't shouldn't feel obligated or take it personally. With that type of "on call" job, they reach out to anyone and everyone they have in their database, to try to fill the job for that day. He's simply part of their database now. On call, temp jobs actually work for some, who like to pick up occasional, spur of the moment work, if it fits their schedule or they need extra money.

This. ⬆

Since they aren't giving him any advance notice or a consistent schedule, it's doubtful he needs to give them any certain time of notice. As others have stated, it sounds like a job with HIGH turnover AND the type of "on call" position where they just need anybody to fill in for the day. Just call or email that the job is not working out due to the lack of consistency, and thank them for the opportunity

They may still call the next couple of weeks as they can't find many replacements. But, DS don't shouldn't feel obligated or take it personally. With that type of "on call" job, they reach out to anyone and everyone they have in their database, to try to fill the job for that day. He's simply part of their database now. On call, temp jobs actually work for some, who like to pick up occasional, spur of the moment work, if it fits their schedule or they need extra money.
its not an on-call job. He knows he has to work every home game in the concession stand, what is on call is working in the warehouse and then working maintenance. My son was working 55 hours a week.

He's 19 and in college. I gave 2 weeks notice for every job since 16. It's a good professional thing to learn and no excuse just because they are a teen.
I agree. OP here. He did mention that in his email to the staffing manager. He sent that email right after my initial post and hasn't hear a thing back. So he's not sure if they want him or not. He's paid to date, so maybe they'll just do a clean break. My son had two of his friends apply and they both got the job too.

My oldest worked concessions at the local NFL/Professional Soccer/Concert venue for several years. He made great money BUT, they do take advantage and they are completely totally accustomed to people quitting with little or no notice. He said that while he lasted several years many people lasted one game some didn't even make it to half time. It's hard work and if working commissions the pay can be really really inconsistent. There have been events where DS made over a thousand and others where he didn't even make minimum wage. I know you said that he's into sports and that it's a great environment for him but really, speaking from experience, even if he works there for years he's going to get a lot of information about food/souvenir sales and marketing but not about sports. I wouldn't worry too much about giving notice. He should as PP mentioned just let them know that he's had another opportunity where the schedule is more in line with his goals. The worst that can happen is that he can't use them as a reference and given that he has another job I wouldn't worry about that either.

Would your son be interested in filling in occasionally? Since he has weekends off maybe he could tell them he would give them 10 hours a week or something.
yes - he is not opposed to that and he told them he could help out if they need him.

I'd mention in the email that he is taking a new position with more consistent hours or because he feels he needs more consistent scheduling, etc. Not to place blame, but to simply let them know what wasn't working at their establishment for him.
I agree that they likely have high turn-over, and sometimes being able to tell those higher up the ladder why so many employees don't stick around can be a help to management.

Congrats to your son on his new job with better hours. :)

My oldest worked concessions at the local NFL/Professional Soccer/Concert venue for several years. He made great money BUT, they do take advantage and they are completely totally accustomed to people quitting with little or no notice. He said that while he lasted several years many people lasted one game some didn't even make it to half time. It's hard work and if working commissions the pay can be really really inconsistent. There have been events where DS made over a thousand and others where he didn't even make minimum wage. I know you said that he's into sports and that it's a great environment for him but really, speaking from experience, even if he works there for years he's going to get a lot of information about food/souvenir sales and marketing but not about sports. I wouldn't worry too much about giving notice. He should as PP mentioned just let them know that he's had another opportunity where the schedule is more in line with his goals. The worst that can happen is that he can't use them as a reference and given that he has another job I wouldn't worry about that either.
it can help if you want to go into sports management. It always great to see the "business" from the other side, no matter at what level. DD21 is finishing up her event management degree and works the summer for a high end restaurant as a hostess (the facility also has banquet space) again, great to see it from the restaurant/venue POV.

Another bummer for the kids is that the stadium is cashless and no receipts on the card readers - so their tips are next to nothing.

He's 19 and in college. I gave 2 weeks notice for every job since 16. It's a good professional thing to learn and no excuse just because they are a teen.

I didn't say it wasn't a good thing to do, I said it isn't necessary. This is clearly a temporary seasonal job. I've worked many of those and no one ever gave 2 weeks notice when quitting. Most would just stop showing up and never actually say they were quitting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter