Some wand questions/anyone had success with just getting one wand?

Gentry2004

DIS Veteran
Its our first trip coming up, with two girls ages 10 and 13. I know they will want to try the spells, but I also see them losing interest and wanting to just ride rides. I don't see them really playing with the wand once we get home.

I'm thinking of telling them I'll buy 1 wand and split the cost of a second wand between them to spend as they please. (Plus they have their own savings too.)

Will I regret only one wand with these ages? I can't exactly picture what it will be like walking around casting spells. I've also heard there can be long lines to do so.

Thank you for any info you can provide!

They wanted their own because they each wanted to choose something unique. It might be hard to persuade them that they can't have their own, individual wand.
How many days is your trip? I can see if it was just one day and they had to prioritize rides that the wands might not get as much attention as they could but if you have more than a day then I bet they will happily devote time simply exploring and playing with the wands.
You can always start with 1 and see how it goes but I would really plan for 2. We have lent our wands out to friends and family too so you can see if anyone has one they can lend (if your kids don't really care if the wand is self-selected).
The boxes are big and annoying. You can (normally) have them sent to the front of the park for evening pick up or your onsite hotel (if applicable). Save the map and send the boxes and bags on their way.

Reactions: AJA
If either is a huge HP fan it might cause a debate as in “this is my favorite character” opposed to “this wand is much prettier”.

If neither is a huge HP fan then I think sharing one wand makes sense. As the pp said only one wand can be used at a time at each stop (of course they can take turns using the same wand or each have their own).

The interactive wands are a little more expensive than the regular wands. You could even watch other people using theirs to see If they really want to try the interactive windows or just want a regular souvenir wand.

I would let them watch other people first to see if they are interested.

The wands are a nice keepsake type of souvenir. I’m sure you’ve bought your share of $$$ stuffed animals at theme parks.

For us The wands are a nice change from an armful of very over priced “baby” stuffed animals I could get for $20 or less at Target.

We have three kids and we were planning to get one wand. Based on CAPSLOCK's comment above, I think it will work.

We have two kids, who will be 5 and 10 on our trip, and they will each get their own wand even though my little one is not as into HP as his big brother. Poor kid has to glom onto so many of his big brother's toys anyway and is always at the mercy of his big brother's willingness to share, and for this I want to let him have his own. (They also each got their own droids at Droid Depot when we went in 2019). For the smaller, cheaper souvenirs, they'll get their own things. I imagine my eldest will go for something at Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, and the little one will want a stuffie from Magical Menagerie, or maybe something from Seussland or the Minion dump shop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter