Some people on the Disney boards

EveDallas

Always keep fighting
are real snobs. There is a thread right now asking if Disney needs more coasters and one poster answered that he/she doesn't want to attract "Universal/Six Flags types". That remark really hit me wrong - like fans of Universal are second class or something.

Not to derail your thread, but I always think of Universal as more for teens vs Disney as more for families. Disney seems a little more wholesome when I consider Main Street USA vs the Simpson's Springfield USA. Could that poster have been referring to "Universal/6 Flags types" as older thrill seekers vs the more family-centric crowds at Disney? Not saying you wouldn't get family crowds and thrill seekers at either place, but in general that's the way I think of them.

It have no sense, for years both parks been family friendly, it’s ridiculous to assume Disney is more family oriented or that Universal is for teenager. With the exceptions of their Halloween events of course. Some people just live in their own fantasies.

are real snobs. There is a thread right now asking if Disney needs more coasters and one poster answered that he/she doesn't want to attract "Universal/Six Flags types". That remark really hit me wrong - like fans of Universal are second class or something.

LOL.... My kids and my wife have Six Flags season passes, i do not.. I refuse to go to that low rent place!! LOL I used to go to Six Flags a lot but it simply has no magic like Disney does.... not worth it in my opinion but thank goodness my wife likes it so i don't have to take the kids.. I for one would love it if more people went to Universal vs Disney.. if only to have more breathing room at Disney... We have not gone to Universal yet but the kids have been asking. I would like to en-corporate a Universal visit during an extended Disney trip but as of yet, we have not done that.. hopefully soon.

I am sure that once we do visit Universal we will love it and wonder why we have never gone before...

Thanks but I don't think my opinion is ridiculous. I have a 2.5 year old and a 5 year old. They have seen all of the movies that have a tie-in at Disney- Aladdin, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, the Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, the Little Mermaid, etc. They are not old enough to watch The Mummy, Harry Potter, Transformers, Jurassic Park, The Simpsons, Spider Man, Men in Black, the Hulk, etc. so they won't get as much out of it. Also, my 5 year old is tall enough for all but 4 rides in the parks. In Universal there's still 9 rides she's too small to ride. Maybe I should clarify that I think of Disney as being more families-with-young-children oriented. I don't think my kids will watch most of the Universal movies until at least preteen age. I am a wimp and Jurassic Park terrified me as a teen! To us, it doesn't make sense to spend the $ for Universal until our kids can enjoy the movie tie-ins. So I do think I'm justified in saying that although you will get both teens and young families at either, for my situation Disney is more young-children-family-friendly.

Thanks but I don't think my opinion is ridiculous. I have a 2.5 year old and a 5 year old. They have seen all of the movies that have a tie-in at Disney- Aladdin, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, the Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, the Little Mermaid, etc. They are not old enough to watch The Mummy, Harry Potter, Transformers, Jurassic Park, The Simpsons, Spider Man, Men in Black, the Hulk, etc. so they won't get as much out of it. Also, my 5 year old is tall enough for all but 4 rides in the parks. In Universal there's still 9 rides she's too small to ride. Maybe I should clarify that I think of Disney as being more families-with-young-children oriented. I don't think my kids will watch most of the Universal movies until at least preteen age. I am a wimp and Jurassic Park terrified me as a teen! To us, it doesn't make sense to spend the $ for Universal until our kids can enjoy the movie tie-ins. So I do think I'm justified in saying that although you will get both teens and young families at either, for my situation Disney is more young-children-family-friendly.

Once my kids hit their double digits, they definitely preferred Universal and still do. So for the first 9 years of their lives, they probably preferred Disney but for the next 20+, it has been a Universal preference. We'll be taking our little grandbaby to both again this fall for the second time. She will do different things at Universal (all the playgrounds!!!!) than at Disney which will allow her to sit on a ride and watch things around her. I'm sure she will love both.

However, everyone prefers something different and isn't is wonderful that we have a choice???!!!!

I think Universal is geared more for families with older kids. We just got back from a split stay and LOVED Universal. We did notice there were waaaaaaaaay less families with little kids, like hardly any babies or toddlers. We also remarked at how few strollers were around. It was unusual to come across a family with a stroller or toddler where at Disney it's practically all you see. I think there are fewer rides for very little kids at Universal and Disney has a ton of rides for littles. Also, Universal movies are ones that toddlers would not have seen, like Jurrasic Park, King Kong, Fast and Furious etc. We like both, but are glad we waited until the kids were older to go to Universal, they would have been terrified of most of the rides if they were tiny.

I have always said I am the proud red headed step child on the Disboards

Universal roxs!

Some of us oldies got the proud redhead tag when the tag fairy was active many years ago

I didn’t get the tag but boy am I a redhead for Universal alright :thumbsup2

damo is correct.......it’s not as bad as it used to be..........but, always funny when certain folks feel the need to come and educate Universal fans how bad it is..........not quite sure why they feel the need if they either don’t go, or don’t plan to go again. Dont think we need that type of educating.

There is plenty for everyone.......we have friends who take kids and grandkids and find plenty to do at Universal for little ones......you don’t need to have seen the movies to enjoy the rides on offer or play areas.......

I’ve never seen the movie to do with Splash Mountain.......I can still enjoy the ride.

But, each to their own........I’m with mac.....Universal Rox!!!!

Oh I just realised you were talking about the thread started by “old lady”........says it all really...........

Peeps that enjoy the darkside which is what I affectionately refer to Universal Orlando, are use to threads like this

Which park is better for littles, youngsters, teens, adults, etc

I do both parks because there are things in each that are fun for me

But I find more rides, entertainment and food selections are more suited for me at the darkside (UO)

I go solo a lot to Orlando
My time is my own on what I want to do

I find UO easier to do solo than it is at the motherland

At Disney (motherland) 3 fp a day means I wait in lines and some have a lengthy wait
Looking at you Soaring. Lol

Busses are time consuming
I have to have a plan to utilize my time wisely
I need to know what I want to eat and time to eat, way in advance
And book a reservation

For me, it’s like a job to have to plan everything out in advance
But when I go there, it’s part of the prep work for the vacation

So I start at the motherland then move to the darkside hotels
I’m rushing and keep an eye on the clock for the first part of my trip so I can do what I planned in advance

Then I relocate to UO
Smooth sailing for me
Stay at a deluxe and have free unlimited usage of the express lines

Very walkable from the hotel to the parks or city walk
No advanced planning needed.
No busses needed

Eat when I want and only make food reservations if planning meals with a group of friends

Families with littles in strollers or infants usually do better a
t the motherland
More rides probably work for families there

UO does get their share of toddlers as there are many places that are entertaining for them
I do see more families with young children each time I go to the parks

One benefit for families with littles is the hotels are close to the parks
Walking paths, busses and bicycle rickshaws can be used

Easy to return to an onsite hotel for quiet time for littles and their family

Everyone has something or someplace they prefer

Readers aren’t going to get a debate in this thread
But assume others will share their love for the darkside as it is in the Universal forums

I am sure that once we do visit Universal we will love it and wonder why we have never gone before...

Be careful - know what you're getting into. :D Once you go, you may find it addictive. I still love WDW - don't get me wrong. But it's mostly because of all the memories we made there over many, many years...I was proposed to there, we were married there. It's been a big part of our lives. I go back frequently, but if I'm honest, lately I actually have more fun at Uni. (Shh..don't tell my DH - he'd definitely disagree. lol):laughing:

Vacationing just feels more fun there for reasons earlier posters already mentioned- less planning, less stress. (And fewer strollers and ecvs - no offense meant to anyone using either - but it just feels like you can move a little more freely at UO, even when it's crowded.)

I am fine with people preferring disney. Keeps UO crowds down.

Something that does tick me off a bit is the ones that come on here saying they are going to take a day out of disney and do universal for the HP stuff.

To me it is kind of like me saying we like Cinderella and only want to do stuff centered around the castle. Disney people would be like, but, but, but, there is so much more to disney. I feel the same way when they declare they are not interested in anything but HP. There is so much more to universal than just HP.

HP is nice and they put the big bucks into the whole area, and I like it, but it is not the only reason I like universal.

I have been going to UO since the first year they opened and I have to say, it was pretty pitiful back then, but I have only been to disney for 31 years so it could have been pitiful at first too.

Something that does tick me off a bit is the ones that come on here saying they are going to take a day out of disney and do universal for the HP stuff.

To me it is kind of like me saying we like Cinderella and only want to do stuff centered around the castle. Disney people would be like, but, but, but, there is so much more to disney. I feel the same way when they declare they are not interested in anything but HP. There is so much more to universal than just HP.

HP is nice and they put the big bucks into the whole area, and I like it, but it is not the only reason I like universal.

I have been going to UO since the first year they opened and I have to say, it was pretty pitiful back then, but I have only been to disney for 31 years so it could have been pitiful at first too.

I agree. HP is what really put Universal on the map, but that's not all there is.

I hope those people ended up like us. We did go to Universal the first time with HP being the draw. However, once I researched the parks and we actually visited, we fell in love. We love the HP areas, but there are other areas that really get me excited too. I just wish I had visited before Jaws was removed:(

Soniam, I’m sure you would have loved Jaws!

I started going to universal in 1992
Absolutely loved it
My boys had some rides they werenot tall enough for but still it filled our day there

After Islands opened, it was more than a one day park for us

For years we would do split stays between uo and wdw.

It’s not Harry that keeps me going to the darkside
Have explored that section and like the two main rides

But Harry is bringing the crowds in to the parks

It's always been like that - that why I have not even looked or posted at those board in about a year.
I look at this board almost every day - but haven't posted in a while as I am busy.

Several years back I started posting about my dissatisfaction with Disney and the decline in quality, value and experience I attributed to the Disney Dinning Plan
I used to go to Disney three times a year just to hang around Epcot - there was a time the food was that good and the Annual pass was about the same as a 10 day ticket.
No longer IMO

Anyway I was pretty much tared and feathered for a couple of years - but I kept up at it hoping for change.
That did not change - DDP was a value for many who did not care and eventually the attitude of those board did change a bit but still many look down on Universal - whatever.

Last year I stayed at Universal for 10 nights - and spent two days at Disney ( because I had a free two day park hopper ticket) - F&W was disappointing and repetitive.
I've been to F&W every year since it moved to Epcot and in the end the only thing I actually enjoyed the last two years was Trader Sams at the Polynesian - and getting to meet and make Sushi with Morimoto at F&W - that was pretty cool.
If you are over there it is well worth checking out Trader Sams - they really need something like that at RPR

This year 10 nights at Universal and no Disney - but I might try to get over to Trader Sams - the cost to get their makes that less attractive.

In the end if they dont like it fine - and really if you like who cares what everyone else thinks

As for them commenting on the quality of people at Universal and acting like they are better - if Disney put cat food on a plate and called it Mickey tar tar they would rave about it.
That's pretty much what happens at F&W the last few years

We did the full Disney trip in 2015 when my kids were 8 and 5. During the trip we did 1 day at Universal and loved is more then a week in Disney. I don't understand when people say that Universal isn't for little kids. My kids are now 11 and 8 and we are going back for our 3rd Universal trip in November. My youngest favorite ride is ET and the Woody Woodpecker coaster. My oldest loves The Mummy. I really think it is just a personal preference. I find the people who go to Universal and the team members to be so very friendly. We love it and can't wait for November.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter