Some newbie questions re: Banking and UY

kboo

DIS Veteran
Hi there! We *just* passed ROFR and this is about trips to be taken in 2018. However, our contract has 100 2017 points so we need to know what we are doing with them, etc.

1. We're currently planning President's week 2018 and a later 2018 trip. Not planning any trips between Aug 2017 (rented points) and Feb 2018. So I would have to bank the 100 2017 points by 9/30/17, or else use them by 2/1/18, right?

We picked Feb UY because most of our trips are going to be spring and summer break. But Thanksgiving 2018 is our YDD's 3rd birthday, so we'd like to take a trip then as well.

Q: For the T-giving trip, we should make a res at our home resort in December to make sure we have something, right? Then can adjust it to a different resort at 7mo window?

Q: The T-giving trip falls after our date to bank any 2018 points. All 4 of our parents (kids' grandparents) are elderly and have various ailments/chronic illnesses, so there is a possibility that one of them may have a medical emergency (or worse) that would make us have to cancel the Nov 2018 trip. We would have to use those points (2018) by 1/31/2019, right? Or would we have a better chance trying to rent the reservation since it's over a holiday week? I want to have an idea what we'd need to do in case the worst happens, because by then we'd be in crisis mode and probably not thinking clearly.

Thanks!

Yes, I would book my home resort at 11 months and change if possible at 7 months.

Regarding the possibility of cancelling the trip due to illness, my first option would be to look into travel insurance. I am not familiar with the best for DVC coverage, but someone else will probably chime in there. Renting the reservation might be an option, but I imagine it is harder to find a buyer.

Good Luck

First off Welcome Home and much pixiedust!

1. We're currently planning President's week 2018 and a later 2018 trip. Not planning any trips between Aug 2017 (rented points) and Feb 2018. So I would have to bank the 100 2017 points by 9/30/17, or else use them by 2/1/18, right?
Yes

Q: For the T-giving trip, we should make a res at our home resort in December to make sure we have something, right? Then can adjust it to a different resort at 7mo window?
Yes and Yes

Q: The T-giving trip falls after our date to bank any 2018 points. All 4 of our parents (kids' grandparents) are elderly and have various ailments/chronic illnesses, so there is a possibility that one of them may have a medical emergency (or worse) that would make us have to cancel the Nov 2018 trip. We would have to use those points (2018) by 1/31/2019, right? Or would we have a better chance trying to rent the reservation since it's over a holiday week? I want to have an idea what we'd need to do in case the worst happens, because by then we'd be in crisis mode and probably not thinking clearly.
... my first option would be to look into travel insurance...
Trip insurance will only cover the MFs if purchased, not the points.
If you have a desirable reservation in hand, then try and rent it, as is with no options for changes.
Cancel the reservation and rent the points.
Donate the reservation to a charity for a fund raiser.

Technically you SHOULD use those 100 2017 points. However, MS was nice enough to let me bank banked points again, under the theory that a different owner had banked those points, so as the new owner of those points, I could bank them once. However, I've been told that I got a very generous CM, that it's not usually that way.

Technically you SHOULD use those 100 2017 points. However, MS was nice enough to let me bank banked points again, under the theory that a different owner had banked those points, so as the new owner of those points, I could bank them once. However, I've been told that I got a very generous CM, that it's not usually that way.
But the 2017 points just came on about 8 weeks ago, right? so they haven't been banked yet and can be banked by 9/30? or did they have to be banked in order to sell?

But the 2017 points just came on about 8 weeks ago, right? so they haven't been banked yet and can be banked by 9/30? or did they have to be banked in order to sell?

Correct. You have until Sept 30, 2017 to bank the February 2017 points into your 2018 UY. They can then be used for stays from 2/1/18-1/31/19.

Donate the reservation to a charity for a fund raiser.

Just an FYI: this would be a nice thing to do with a reservation that you can't use, but do be aware that donations of the use of your DVC are not eligible for tax deductions.

(If you rent a DVC stay for cash and donate the cash, that would be a deduction.)

Just wanted to clarify.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter