Some extended ASCII characters in threads have not been imported into new forums

andrewilley

GNU Terry Pratchett
Some characters which were valid on the old vBulletin boards have not imported correctly into the new system. e.g. characters such as those which would be generated in HTML by ‘ , ’ , “ , &rdquo and — .

For example, in my POR FAQ at http://www.disboards.com/threads/po...2015-please-read-first-post-for-faqs.3374035/, all of the open/close quotes and apostrophes are now missing, which is going to be a real headache to have to go back and re-insert in such a long document. This would cause issues for any posts which have been edited in a word processor and pasted into the boards for example.

Andre

Yep. This happened to me with the documents I typed in Word and pasted into posts on The DIS. There are now strange codes appearing where there should be punctuation.

Yes, the codes still seem to be there (I can see them when I re-downed the full BBCode text of my FAQ posts), but are being remapped by the rendering code to some sort of null value.

I can also paste them into the new post editor, and they are visible as I type this message:

“Double Open/Close Quotes”
‘Single Open/Close Quotes’
Apostrophe’s (I know, I know - not needed for plurals!)
Mdash: –

[Added after posting]:

So the new forums seem to be fully able to cope with extended ASCII characters in both clipboard pasting, editing, and display - so I guess it must have been an issue with the conversion process.

Admins: could you maybe let us know if you think this is something you will be able to go back and fix eventually, assuming the characters are still saved individually within the posts - or whether the import process simply replaced anything that it didn't understand with a single null value, in which case it would be far too much work to fix as you'd need to refer back to all the old source database entries. An example post which shows the problem is Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2015 (where there are now no apostrophes or single/double paired-quotes).

Ideally, I don't want to spend hours in the meantime re-editing my various longer posts if you think a fix may be possible in the relatively short term. But if it's not easily fixable via a database process, I'll just get on and do it manually.

Andre

Last edited:
Admins: could you maybe let us know if you think this is something you will be able to go back and fix eventually, assuming the characters are still saved individually within the posts - or whether the import process simply replaced anything that it didn't understand with a single null value, in which case it would be far too much work to fix as you'd need to refer back to all the old source database entries. An example post which shows the problem is Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2015 (where there are now no apostrophes or single/double paired-quotes).
I've already been told by the developer that he's working on a solution to this. It's just going to take a while to work out due to the size of the boards.

Sayhello

Just to let you guys know our testing went well and are now running the fix on the live boards. Hopefully within 24 hours this issue will be completely resolved. Posts with an ID of under 7.5 Million will already be fixed as of this post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter