• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo trip: Which resort?

Which resort for a first time solo trip.

• Contemporary

• Grand Floridian

• BoardWalk Inn

• Yacht Club

• Animal Kingdom

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I picked the CR. If it's in the budget you can get a Mk view room and enjoy the fireworks at the MK on your balcony. I don't know what dates you are going for, but I checked yesterday for the dates we are going and they still have MK view on the Atrium Club lvl.

Yeah, I've looked into the MK view atrium and they have it available for the dates I am thinking about. In fact, I have a large selection to choose from. Which is why I'm trying to finalize this soon.
I have thought about the S/D but I'm thinking of doing dining plan and I LOVE the ease of ME.

If we were to compare the club level of my top three (BWI, CR, AKL) how do they rate? Any experiences?

My vote is for the Swan. The location is primo for the garden show, and the relaxed atmosphere would be great for a little pampering. You might be able to find a good deal on the price, too.

I voted for AKL for the following reasons:

Only indoor corridors, I always felt very safe there!

Good counter service restaurant: as a solo traveler I would imagine that I would spend less meals at table service restaurants. I really liked the Mara and from what I have heard about the other deluxe resorts, it sounds that the counter service options is one of their weak spots.

It is one of the more affordable deluxe resorts, but also has slightly smaller rooms than the other deluxe resorts. It would still be plenty of room for a solo traveller, but if you are used to spread out when you are with your husband, it might be a great opportunity to try it now and also save some travel expenses.

The grounds are supposed to be very beautiful in spring - they were even wonderful in February. So if you like flowers, you might get an extra "festival" at AKL in addition to the official one at Epcot.

Even though it is further from Epcot, we found busses to AK very frequent and it is really easy to hop over there. We even used AK as a transportation hub quite a bit, e.g. for travelling to the World Show Case of Epcot: bus from AKL to AK, then bus to BC (or BW, whatever is the first stop). Might be a bit more time consuming, but saves a lot of walking!!

Whatever you decide: Have a great trip :goodvibes

I voted AK since it's truly a unique place. But only if you get at Savannah View.

Did you consider the Swan/Dolphin?

I am at the Dolphin solo right now.

For half the price Disney wanted for the same weekend I have "heavenly beds" and the same great Epcot location for the Flower Festival!

Lucky you!!! Can't wait to get to the Dolphin in Dec!! Only drawback, for me, is the lack of DME.

I really think that if someone is most interested in the Flower and Garden Festival, the Epcot resorts are the best way to go.
Now...I am dying to stay at the AKL...either regular or DVC, don't care which. But, at the moment, with all the construction going on, it may not be as good an experience as at a later date.
I love the CR....everything about it. It is so easy to get to,and from, MK. And the monorail to Epcot is very handy.
But it's just so darn easy to walk to Epcot from BW and YC!

it is a toss up... on many things...:lmao: My fave resort is CR... and had done so many solo trips there... but those are the solo trips when you really want to leisure and enjoy the comfort of your room... go eat downstairs... grab some pool time... and go back to your room to watch MK at night... so basically it is a nice lounging hotel for me... and great location of you are an MK and Epcot fanatic...

but if we are talking about busy ... plan loaded solo trip I would do BWV hands down.. I was never a BWV fanatic till I tried... walking to EPCOT... learning the boat ride to DHS... and hanging out at Jellyrolls for a night filled music... also... the boat ride to beaches and cream was awesome... after eating all those ice cream you just have to go back for a nap... :goodvibes :lmao:

but then again... if you are driving.... I would choose AKL ... nice and relaxing atmosphere...

good luck and whatever you decide.. you can never go wrong .. you are at the World !!!!

when is your solo trip... I will be at AKV from April 18 to 26 :cloud9: :thumbsup2

I say the Contemporary. The main reason is that there are so many business people there you just don't stand out as much being alone. I have stayed there by myself and felt very comfortable. It's also convenient - walk to MK and monorails to EPCOT.

I am going to second looking into the villa section of whatever resort you want. Having gone solo and stayed at OKW, BWV, and AKV, I really enjoyed having a couch when I stayed at BWV and AKV over OKW. I really enjoy them all though.

YC or BW (I dont care for BW). Great location and access to multiple restaurants/night stuff. Quick access to Epcot and HS.

I voted for AKL for the following reasons:

Only indoor corridors, I always felt very safe there!

Good counter service restaurant: as a solo traveler I would imagine that I would spend less meals at table service restaurants. I really liked the Mara and from what I have heard about the other deluxe resorts, it sounds that the counter service options is one of their weak spots.

It is one of the more affordable deluxe resorts, but also has slightly smaller rooms than the other deluxe resorts. It would still be plenty of room for a solo traveller, but if you are used to spread out when you are with your husband, it might be a great opportunity to try it now and also save some travel expenses.

The grounds are supposed to be very beautiful in spring - they were even wonderful in February. So if you like flowers, you might get an extra "festival" at AKL in addition to the official one at Epcot.

Even though it is further from Epcot, we found busses to AK very frequent and it is really easy to hop over there. We even used AK as a transportation hub quite a bit, e.g. for travelling to the World Show Case of Epcot: bus from AKL to AK, then bus to BC (or BW, whatever is the first stop). Might be a bit more time consuming, but saves a lot of walking!!

Whatever you decide: Have a great trip :goodvibes

These comments wish I was there now:)

I love the Boardwalk and I actually stayed there a couple of nights by myself. It was so nice to have 2 parks so close and then to have so much to see and do at the Boardwalk. :wizard:

I chose the Contemporary because I was picking where *I* would want to stay. I've always wanted to stay there and the only 2 parks I'd be interested in going to alone would be MK and Epcot so the monorail would be convenient. Plus, like a poster above me said, the interior building would seem "safer" to me if I were there alone.

We loved the Beach Club location! It was nice to be able to walk to Epcot and to take the little boat to DS.

I voted for "other". What about Port Orleans Riverside? We love it there.
Congratulations on the your dh being in the fire academy. My son is a firefighter/paramedic. I remember his academy days.

I would pick a resort for a solo trip the same way I would for any other Disney trip. Pick the theme that appeals most to you, pick the resort with amenities that will make your trip "magical" to you, pick a resort based on whether you want the convenience of walking to your favorite park, or if you prefer to use transportation. I've stayed at nearly every resort solo, and enjoyed them all, at different times for different reasons.

If I'm going to spend more time at Epcot, like for F&W or F&G, I will typically choose an Epcot resort. I like them all, so I usually just go with whichever gives me the best rate.

If I'm planning any late night, hard ticket parties in MK, I will usually choose WL, VWL, or CR. I like the convenience of walking back to CR at the end of a late party, and I enjoy the boat transport to MK from WL/VWL.

If you are planning a lot of late nights, it is more secure to be in a self contained building, rather than walking between separate buildings. However, I've never felt unsafe walking around a Disney resort at night, and when you are coming back from the parks late, you are seldom alone (as all those people who have been packed like sardines on the buses can attest to). Just use common sense and take the same precautions you would any where else.

If money were not an issue, I would choose Yacht or Beach Club.

The pool is amazing and it's close to Epcot--which is where I end up eating most meals. The Boardwalk is just across the lake, too.

Lucky you!!! Can't wait to get to the Dolphin in Dec!! Only drawback, for me, is the lack of DME.

I really think that if someone is most interested in the Flower and Garden Festival, the Epcot resorts are the best way to go.
Now...I am dying to stay at the AKL...either regular or DVC, don't care which. But, at the moment, with all the construction going on, it may not be as good an experience as at a later date.
I love the CR....everything about it. It is so easy to get to,and from, MK. And the monorail to Epcot is very handy.
But it's just so darn easy to walk to Epcot from BW and YC!

Yeah but for $150 a night savings I can get myself too and from the airport and live without the dining plan. Even if I ate whatever I wanted it would be cheaper LOL!

I've picked Yacht Club :)

I'm going there for my first ever solo trip next May - I'd originally thought (and booked) the GF as I love it there, but then thought out somewhere different so booked AKL, but finally (well for now anyway lol) changed to the Yacht Club. I like being able to walk to my favourite park, Epcot, and being by myself if I'm chilling at the resort and get a little bored, I can just stroll into Epcot - nice and simple :)

I also like the BWI, but in my case, I love chilling on the balcony and the balconies at YC are all one size as opposed to being a little hit or miss at the BWI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter