• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo hotel upgrade opinions needed (x posted)

MusicalAstronaut

DIS Veteran
Hi all! I'm currently booked at Coronado Springs for my solo trip in October. I've stayed there multiple times though, and I'd love to switch to a better resort if I can. The first half of my trip I'm staying with a friend and then moving to a Disney hotel when everyone else heads home. Currently I'm considering switching to the Yacht Club for $327/night for two nights, or $338/night for three nights. Or, to the Boardwalk for basically the same price. Is that just too high for a solo trip? Which one is better? Should I do two nights and stay the one night in a value resort instead? I'm going down for Food & Wine so being able to walk to Epcot is neat, and I love the idea of being right on the Boardwalk for my solo trip too.

Also, I currently have dinner at The Wave booked for one of my nights. I think I'd like to switch that to something closer to the resort if I decide to switch. Any recommendations? I'm open to anything at the Beach/Yacht Club, Boardwalk Inn, or on the Boardwalk. I'm pretty familiar with the restaurants in Epcot and would like to try something new. :) Thanks!

I cross posted this in solo travelers too because I wasn't sure which forum would be best. Mods please let me know if I should delete one!

Try looking at the Swan and Dolphin for a better rate, or just go with the Epcot resorts you mentioned. Splitting up your two days at a value, then deluxe, doesn't sound like the way to go. Try the Flying Fish restaurant
on the boardwalk or Shula's at The Swan and Dolphin.

Try looking at the Swan and Dolphin for a better rate, or just go with the Epcot resorts you mentioned. Splitting up your two days at a value, then deluxe, doesn't sound like the way to go. Try the Flying Fish restaurant
on the boardwalk or Shula's at The Swan and Dolphin.
I've never stayed at Swan or Dolphin! Are they near Epcot? Nice pools?

I've never stayed at Swan or Dolphin! Are they near Epcot? Nice pools?
Yes, you can walk or take a boat to Epcot and the other Epcot Disney resorts. The pools are nice. The feature pool has a large waterfall that sounds and looks amazing. The Swan and Dolphin have some pretty good special rates for nurses, teachers, first responders, and just more reasonable rates in general.

I can't answer whether the pricing for the YC or BW are too much for a solo trip, I will say that DH and I love being close to Epcot for the F&W festival and pay the YC prices to stay there during this period of time (will be there in a little over a week!). I personally prefer the YC to the BW because of the pool and general decor and vibe, but the BW is really nice as well, just depends on your preference. Coronado is my favorite moderate, and I think it is a great resort, but I prefer an Epcot resort for F&W.

For restaurants all of the Swan and Dolphin restaurants are really good, Flying Fish and Yachtsman are also well liked.

The Swan and Dolphin are also walking distance to Epcot and DHS, next to YC and BW. We stayed there once, the pools looked nice, but we sadly never made it over to them.

All of the EP resorts are great (including Swan/Dolphin) so I, personally, would pick whichever is cheapest! As others have said, Swan/Dolphin doesn't have DME, so if you need transportation to the airport, you'll need to take that into consideration. I once took uber from BC to Orlando International and it was less than $30, so not a huge cost.

As far as dining solo in the EP resort area, I would pick Kimono's (if you like sushi!) or bluezoo (best food in the EP area, IMHO).

I really like the YC. Personally, since you are so close to Epcot why not have dinner at Chefs de France as France is right next to the International gate. I like the buffet at Cape May Cafe in the BC and have comfortably dined solo there (and noticed others doing so as well.)

Swan/Dolphin also charges for parking if you have a vehicle.

If you stay at either the BWI or YC, for a great little meal check out the little menu for the Crews cup lounge at the YC. Nice little out of the way place, quiet atmosphere and they use the same kitchen as the Yachtsman Steakhouse. The lobster roll comes highly recommended.

http://allears.net/dining/menu/crews-cup-lounge/all-day

Love the Epcot area resorts. YC is the quietest. BC is the closest to Epcot. BWI is the most convenient if going to Studios and Epcot and is in the heart of the action.

I am doing a solo trip for Halloween and decided to splurge this year and stay at Wilderness Lodge. I usually stay at Pop or a moderate, but I just wanted to treat myself extra this trip. :)

I think that for a solo stay I would want more convenience than what you would have at CSR. Personally, if I was planning a trip like the one you have planned, I would choose an Epcot resort so I had access to so much at my doorstep. Between the Boardwalk area and the entrance into Epcot, the value would be perfect, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter