Solo Disneyland Trip in August: Help appreciated!

TheDisneyNurse

DIS Veteran
Hello, disboards! I decided to be adventurous and book a solo trip to Disneyland for August. My travel dates are 8/9-8/16. I'm staying at Clarion Hotel Anaheim Resort, which is a good neighbor hotel. I have a 5 day hopper pass with Maxpass and Magic Morning Early Access. I was originally going to NYC with my brother on these dates, but he backed out. I was a bit bummed, but then it hit me-- I always wanted to go to Disneyland! I already had the days off approved, and it would be much more affordable on my own (NYC was a graduation present for him). I just got out of a relationship, and planning this is really helping with my post-breakup sadness (A "THANK U, NEXT" trip, if you will)

So I have tickets and hotel booked (along with the transportation to and from LAX). I have to call jetblue and get a refund and/or exchange for a flight to LAX instead.

A couple of talking points/questions!

1) I've never travelled alone. Ever. Not even to WDW, and I live only 3 hours away. Any tips? I don't mind being alone. Is there anything around the area that is particularly fun and interesting for singles?

2) Galaxy's Edge is a MAJOR priority! And now that I'm traveling solo, no one will judge me for spending the whole day there. Will I need to make a reservation in August? How do the reservations work, if I have to? I don't mind long waits in line.

3) Any good eating places? I don't mind eating alone.

4) Are there any up-charge events that time of year in Disneyland? I'm a big fan of the extra morning magic and evening events in WDW.

5) Also! Could anyone explain maxpass to me? How is it different than fastpass plus that we have over on the east coast?

6) Is there some sort of photopass or memory maker option for disneyland? Since I'm solo, I'm really gonna rely on photopass for some great pictures!

And not related to Disneyland, but has anyone had any experience with venturing into LA from the Anaheim area? I want to do a little sight seeing.

Thank you so much for the help and advice! I am BEYOND excited!

-Kristen

Hello, disboards! I decided to be adventurous and book a solo trip to Disneyland for August. My travel dates are 8/9-8/16. I'm staying at Clarion Hotel Anaheim Resort, which is a good neighbor hotel. I have a 5 day hopper pass with Maxpass and Magic Morning Early Access. I was originally going to NYC with my brother on these dates, but he backed out. I was a bit bummed, but then it hit me-- I always wanted to go to Disneyland! I already had the days off approved, and it would be much more affordable on my own (NYC was a graduation present for him). I just got out of a relationship, and planning this is really helping with my post-breakup sadness (A "THANK U, NEXT" trip, if you will)

So I have tickets and hotel booked (along with the transportation to and from LAX). I have to call jetblue and get a refund and/or exchange for a flight to LAX instead.

A couple of talking points/questions!

1) I've never travelled alone. Ever. Not even to WDW, and I live only 3 hours away. Any tips? I don't mind being alone. Is there anything around the area that is particularly fun and interesting for singles?

2) Galaxy's Edge is a MAJOR priority! And now that I'm traveling solo, no one will judge me for spending the whole day there. Will I need to make a reservation in August? How do the reservations work, if I have to? I don't mind long waits in line.

4) Are there any up-charge events that time of year in Disneyland? I'm a big fan of the extra morning magic and evening events in WDW.

5) Also! Could anyone explain maxpass to me? How is it different than fastpass plus that we have over on the east coast?

6) Is there some sort of photopass or memory maker option for disneyland? Since I'm solo, I'm really gonna rely on photopass for some great pictures!

And not related to Disneyland, but has anyone had any experience with venturing into LA from the Anaheim area? I want to do a little sight seeing.

Thank you so much for the help and advice! I am BEYOND excited!

-Kristen

2. You won't need a reservation, but if the land hits capicity there will be a virtual queue.

3. I'm partial to Cafe Orleans.

5. Maxpass allows you to make fastpasses on your phone, instead of having to walk to the attraction. In that regards, it's similar to fastpass+'s rolling fastpasses. One big difference is you can make new fastpasses without having to use your previous one. There is a big thread discussing all the tips and tricks.

6. Photopass is included with Maxpass!

Congratulations! I did a solo trip last year in January and although I missed my kids, I really enjoyed being able to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted!

I also stayed at the Clarion and although it's showing its age, I like it there. I used the shuttles at the Toy Story lot to get back and forth to the park and I never felt unsafe, even coming back at night.
I took the opportunity to do lots of table service meals and I took the Walk in Walt's footsteps tour. Being just me, it was way more affordable. For a meal recommendation, I won't miss the lobster nachos at Lamplight Lounge. I found that I met way more people being on my own -- chatting in line, sitting on the porch on Main Street, even at the airport. I think we're more approachable when we're not in a group. And I don't know how many times I rode Radiator Spring Racers in the single rider line. I love, love, love that ride in the evening! There was lots more time for wandering and just soaking up the atmosphere. I stay calmer when I'm on my own it seems.

There's so much about maxpass, here are two links from HydroGuy. His info is outstanding.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/comparing-dlrs-maxpass-to-wdws-fastpass.3726294/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...-smarties-a-photographic-explanation.1186052/
Have a wonderful time. I'm kind of envious! :cheer2:

Hello, disboards! I decided to be adventurous and book a solo trip to Disneyland for August. My travel dates are 8/9-8/16. I'm staying at Clarion Hotel Anaheim Resort, which is a good neighbor hotel.

Be aware that the "Good Neighbor Hotel" designation is almost meaningless for DLR. It just means they've paid Disney a fee to be able to be on the list and bookable as part of a package through DL. Perhaps others can chime with more recent info but in the past I had friends who had a bad experience with unpleasant, dirty rooms, poor (or non existent) wifi and other issues with the Clarion. There are LOTS of options around DLR and many good ones are quite a bit closer to the parks so if you're not married to that hotel and your booking can be adjusted you may want to look for other options. There are good threads here about which hotel to choose or if you give us some of your top hotel criteria and general per night budget we can suggest other options.

If you can find a Jet Blue flight that works for you and lands and LGB (Long Beach) instead of LAX I would do that. LGB is closer to DLR and much smaller and easier to navigate than LAX.

The reservation period ends later this month (June 24th) so no reservations in August (that we know about right now). I think we don't know enough right now about how things are going to look after the "real" opening other than that they plan to use a virtual queue system to manage capacity in the land so I'd check back in July once things are open without reservations to see how things have been going. There's a decent chance they will have to come up with some kind of system for high demand areas like Savi's and Oga's by then but we don't know what it will look like yet. At least you can Single Rider Smuggler's Run! (and don't forget to take advantage of Single Rider lines on other rides like Space, Incredicoaster, RSR and others).

Nothing like the WDW events. The only special event that's been announced at this point during your dates is possibly the Haunted Mansion 50th Anniversary Party but that would be 1-4am on 8/9 (and shopping on 8/8 at a private expo at DLH for attendees). I'm not sure if you'll actually be there yet for that (or if a 1-4am special event that seems largely about merchandise and a few rides plus HM appeals to you).
This isn't exactly what you're asking about but if you are a fan of Walt and disney history you might enjoy doing the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour. This guided tour through Disneyland includes a lot of DL history and info about Walt culminating in a visit to Walt's private apartment on main street over the firehouse. It does also include lunch. I did the tour by myself last December and didn't feel out of place solo.

Skyegirl has a great thread about how to use MaxPass here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/
There was also a recent thread about the nuances of using MP as a solo guest and when/where to MP vs use the Single Rider line: https://www.disboards.com/threads/max-pass-with-single-rider.3752102

Good news for you here! Since you've purchased MaxPass you will get all your PhotoPass and ride photo downloads included as well!

Thanks for all the advice!! My friend/travel agent booked Clarion for me because she really liked it when she went with her husband. I'm not picky with hotels, as long as they are safe. I've stayed in some crazy seedy hotels in Orlando back in my broke college days. I'm open to looking around and seeing whats there.

I'm so excited to hear about the maxpass including photopass! I'm really excited for SWGE, and I'm also a really huge marvel fan. I can't wait to ride the Mission Breakout Ride. California Adventure, especially, has changed so much the last time I've been. They were still building Cars Land. Lonnnnng time.

I will definitely check out that tour! I love those type of things. And I'll be arriving around 830am on arrival day. I figured I'll go to will call and activate my tickets. If I'm too tired, I won't go to the parks that day. Don't want to waste a day. Maybe I will just hang out around Downtown Disney and explore the area.

How fun!! My only suggestion would be to stay a smidge closer. Especially being a lady on your own. The last time we went to Disneyland I had a sick kid so I ended up walking to the Walgreens a number of times and I have to say, there are more than a few sketch people down that way. If you're just taking shuttles its probably fine, but if you were planning on walking at all, I would be leery.

I agree I’d stay closer. If you’re on a tight budget I’d try desert inn & suites. If money is no object I’d stay at the Spring Hill suites convention center Hyatt house, courtyard Marriott theme park

Here are some links with great information for your trip planning:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- this is a sticky thread at the top of the first page with TONS of helpful information -- pay special attention to Hydroguy's tips!
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- this thread is a classic -- it is pre-SWGE, but still has lots of very good info!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- so much helpful info here!
RE: hotels
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/
At DLR, location and distance really matter (location, location, location!) -- being closer to the parks will help you make the most efficient use of your time and energy. The DLR area as a whole is safe for solo travelers, but the Clarion gets uneven reviews. If you can find something closer to the parks entrance crosswalk on Harbor, that would be ideal.
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- read through this very helpful thread and ask all your questions there -- you'll get great help from our resident experts!
Official Superthread: SWGE Opening May 31st -- ask any and all SWGE related questions here!
*August 2019 check in* -- join the August check in thread! You'll find updates and news on happenings in August and maybe make some new friends to meet up with In the parks!

Just a heads up: Sunday, Aug. 11th, is the annual CHOC Walk at DLR. This is a very big charity fundraiser for the local children's hospital. The Walk happens in both parks and DTD very early in the morning and is done by park opening. The park hours will be a little different that day -- check the schedules! If you will need to use the ticket booths that day -- either take care of things the night before or wait until later in the day -- the morning will be very busy! If you feel up for a great adventure, join the Walk! It is a fun event for a great cause! (CHOC Walk 2019https://www.chocwalk.org/)

Have a great trip!

We have a regular poster, @BadPinkTink, who does solo trips every year. She stays at the Motel 6 Maingate and gives that hotel good reviews -- safe, clean, basic, good prices. She's a good DISer to ask about solo DLR trips, sightseeing in L.A. and Southern CA, and any solo traveling tips, etc. Her next trip is coming up soon, so ask her any specific questions about solo travel, especially as a solo female at DLR.

As for your questions (and some of this information was covered by pps):
1. You'll have some advantages as a single traveler in Southern CA -- more flexibility with the schedule, no one else to look after, you can do what you want to do, etc. Is there anything particular that interests you? Museums, beaches, shopping, concerts, other theme parks, etc.? Let us know, and we'll get the suggestions rolling.
2. Wait until June 24th, when SWGE opens to everyone and the virtual queue system begins. Keep reading the SWGE Superthread (Official Superthread: SWGE Opening May 31st) for all news updates, tips, strategies, etc. on how to get in to GE and how to manage the crowds.
3. Lots of good places to eat, both in the parks and around L.A. and Orange County. Uber/Lyft make things much easier if you don't have a car. What kind of food do you like? Reservations for TS and dining packages open 60 days in advance at DLR, so be looking at the menus on the DLR website to see what interests you. We don't have a dining plan, so don't worry about that.
4. Look into booking Dining Packages for F! and WOC. If you've ever wanted to eat inside POTC, book the BB F! Dining Package -- best viewing area for the show, souvenir seat cushion (seating for the show is on the ground, so this comes in handy), and you get to dine in the Bayou! For WOC, look into the WOC Dessert Party -- the only option for WOC that comes with a chair!
Tours are fun, too -- Walk in Walt's Footsteps has fun DL history for Walt's original park.
5. MP -- see the thread linked above for info on that. Make sure you have the most recent version of the DLR app when you visit and that your phone can handle it. Older phones can have some trouble with the newer versions of the app. Download the app well before your trip so that you can start playing with it to get used to it. Study the maps well before your trip to get used to where things are located -- many WDW vets get disoriented when they think they don't need a map, then get lost! Have battery back up for your phone, especially if you'll be using MP, PP (free with MP), and the Disney Play app (does all kinds of fun things in SWGE). You can bring your own back up or use the Fuel Rod vending machines in the parks (Help me understand how fuel rods work).
6. PP comes free with MP. Or you can buy a PP package, but MP is a better bargain.

For sightseeing information: DAY SIX Podcasts of Things to Do Around Disneyland

Last edited:
awww thanks @theluckyrabbit :flower3:

oh gosh where to start. Solo travel can be great fun or it can be lonely and miserable. It depends on how independent, and confident you are. Before doing a solo trip, I would have a good look at your comfort level of eating alone in restaurants, going to a show or theatre alone, or just even taking a bus on your own.

You need to be highly organised and time conscious. There is no one to remind you about having all your travel documents, or telling you to hurry up or making sure restaurant reservations are booked.

You also need to be very aware of personal safety and be a bit streetwise. For example , when I eat at restaurants, I keep my bag on my lap or at my feet, I would never hang it off the back of my chair. You have to be aware of little things like how easy it would be for someone to walk by your table and just swipe your bag as they walk away. The same way with drinks, never ever leave your drink on a table if you have to use the restroom. Always finish your drink first or if you do have to leave your drink, get a new one when you return to your table.

In Anaheim I usually do open to close at the parks, so Im only returning to the hotel to sleep.

In LA Im the same. Unless Im meeting friends, Im usually back at the hotel by 8pm. Hanging out in bars and clubs is not really something Im interested in, unless Im with friends.

HOW TO GET INTO STAR WARS GALAXYS EDGE FROM JUNE 24
  1. Star Wars Galaxys Edge will open to ALL guests at general park opening hours
  2. Once capacity has been reached, Disney will open the virtual queuing system
  3. There are 2 ways to access the virtual queuing system A. By using the Disneyland App B. By using a Fastpass kiosk and obtaining a paper Boarding Group ticket
  4. You will be assigned a Boarding Group with a specific time to enter Star Wars Galaxys Edge
  5. When you Boarding Time opens you will be alerted through the APP
  6. If you are not using the APP and have obtained a paper Boarding Group ticket , you will need to check the Digital Display Monitors to see when your Boarding Group opens. There will be no return time on the paper Boarding Group ticket
  7. Once your Boarding Group opens, you will have 2 hours to check into Star Wars Galaxys Edge. This means that if you get an alert that your Boarding Group can enter Star Wars Galaxys Edge, and you are in line at Radiator Springs Racers in California Adventures, you can still ride Radiator Springs Racers. You will have plenty of time to get back to Star Wars Galaxys Edge.
  8. Once inside Star Wars Galaxys Edge, there will be no time limit on how long you can stay

What is your budget?
What type of food do you like?
Restaurants and food in Disneyland are very subjective, everyone has a different opinion. You need to study the menus and types of restaurants on Disneyland official website.
I usually do a mix of table service and counter service. My go to restaurant is Blue Bayou, and after that I try to eat at different places each year. Im slowly working my way through every resturent in Disneyland, California Adventures and the onsite hotels.

If you get a 3 day or longer ticket in advance, either direct through Disney or from one of the official discount resellers, you will get access to the early opening at Disneyland on ONE of your days. The early access at California Adventures is for onsite hotel guests only.
There are also dining packages for Fantasmic, World of Color and Frozen theatre show.
Other upcharge options are tours of the park

I always do a 2 part trip. I stay in Anaheim for Disneyland and then LA for the other sight seeing touristy things.

I get the train between Anaheim and LA when I move locations.

This is a link to my June 2018 solo in LA and Disneyland Trip report. https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...es-i-survived-with-no-maxpass-no-car.3692412/

I dont drive so I use public transport , supershuttle , city buses, underground metro, train and ART bus in Anaheim.

In Anaheim I have stayed at Desert Inn and Suites and Motel 6.

In LA I have stayed in AirBnB, Travelodge, Comfort Inn, an independent hotel in Downtown LA and the backpackers hostel in Santa Monica.

Over the years I have been to Santa Monica, Hollywood, Pasadena, Universal Studios, Warner Bros Studio Tour, Paramount Studios Tour, Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour, The Grove / Farmers Market

I travel alone all the time. I'll be at DL 8/9 & 8/10 solo - I'm dong the Haunted Mansion after hours event. I would look into getting a piece of jewelry that has some info on it in case something happens to you. I have a cute necklace from the company RoadID. It has my name, 2 or 3 peoples contact info and what I'm allergic to. I do lots of snowboarding alone so if for some reason something happens to me people will have my name & who to contact in an emergency.

The great thing about traveling alone is that you can do what you want. I did 5 days last year at DL and one day it was hot and I was tired, I bailed from the park around 1 with the intention of going back but just ended up having a relaxing day.

I also recommend the doing a tour - Walk in Walts footsteps was my favorite.

Definately do a table service. I find I get extra attention when I dine alone and can get some great info from the CM's.

You'll have a great time

Definately do a table service. I find I get extra attention when I dine alone and can get some great info from the CM's.

You'll have a great time
I go alone quite often but I’m too embarrassed to do table service alone. Especially in the middle of so many people. I wish I didn’t care because I know I’m missing out on some great food! Does it ever feel awkward to you?

I go alone quite often but I’m too embarrassed to do table service alone. Especially in the middle of so many people. I wish I didn’t care because I know I’m missing out on some great food! Does it ever feel awkward to you?
Sometimes- one of things I do is bring a Disney book with me. So maybe the one about hidden mickeys. If I’m bored with people watching I’ll pull out the small
Disney book and read a little bit. I also bring a dslr camera with me and take picture. The camera I have uploads to my phone so I’ll take the time at table Service to review my pictures and post some to social media.

My favorite place to dine solo is carnation cafe- I always ask to sit outside. Have also treated myself to tea at steakhouse 55- I did that solo on my birthday! The other place I think would be good is Blue Bayou - you can ask for a water side table and sit and watch the boats go by. Plus it’s super dark in there so no will even notice your by yourself.

You should start with a local table service restaurant. There is nothing to be embarrassed about, you have paid your money just the same as everyone else, so you have just as much right to do table service and yes even get a 4 top table to yourself, if thats what the host seats you at. Especially at Disney, you are missing out on some great food and unique experiences if you dont do table service.

I choose restaurants based on budget and the food available. At Disneyland my go to restaurant is Blue Bayou and I have also eaten at Storytellers and Wine Counter Tratoria. For my next trip I have booked Cathay Circle and Carnation Cafe.

Outside of Disney I regularly eat at table service, whenever I travel I make sure to find the local Hard Rock Cafe. When I visit America I go to Cheescake Factory.

You should start with a local table service restaurant. There is nothing to be embarrassed about, you have paid your money just the same as everyone else, so you have just as much right to do table service and yes even get a 4 top table to yourself, if thats what the host seats you at. Especially at Disney, you are missing out on some great food and unique experiences if you dont do table service.

I choose restaurants based on budget and the food available. At Disneyland my go to restaurant is Blue Bayou and I have also eaten at Storytellers and Wine Counter Tratoria. For my next trip I have booked Cathay Circle and Carnation Cafe.

Outside of Disney I regularly eat at table service, whenever I travel I make sure to find the local Hard Rock Cafe. When I visit America I go to Cheescake Factory.
I agree with this. The more you do things solo the more comfortable you'll be doing things solo.

One remedy is going to a TS restaurant with a bar and sit at the bar. You won't feel so "in the middle" as you might at a table, and you can chat with the bartenders who are always friendly, or talk with the people around you (or not), or just look at your phone in silence, and it's not at all weird to be by yourself in that scenario. Plus, there's almost always room for one, so the hosts will usually be happy to let you "sneak in" to that one open spot at the bar even if the place is crowded and there's a wait to get in.

Lamplight Lounge and Steakhouse 55 Lounge both offer the full restaurant menu at the bar. Carthay Circle Lounge, Napa Rose Lounge, and Trader Sam's have small plate menus you can order at the bar. Also, there's Hearthstone Lounge at GCH that also has a small menu, and a few places in DTD.

I know the people around me do not care about me and are too busy with themselves. Even if they say to themselves 'oh look at the person dining alone', that doesn't necessarily mean it is a negative remark, they could be jealous of you do something they might want to do, but are too insecure to do themselves. Chances you will ever see these people again are so slim, it's not worth being embarrassed about.

And on the other hand, I don't care about the other people either ;-) Usually I am counting my blessings when travelling solo and I see children throwing a tantrum or a couple / parents on their phone all the time.
I can focus better on the delicious food as there is no conversation to distract me.

I know the people around me do not care about me and are too busy with themselves. Even if they say to themselves 'oh look at the person dining alone', that doesn't necessarily mean it is a negative remark, they could be jealous of you do something they might want to do, but are too insecure to do themselves. Chances you will ever see these people again are so slim, it's not worth being embarrassed about.

And on the other hand, I don't care about the other people either ;-) Usually I am counting my blessings when travelling solo and I see children throwing a tantrum or a couple / parents on their phone all the time.
I can focus better on the delicious food as there is no conversation to distract me.
This is great - I need this kind of confidence! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter